LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

26 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Did you notice Djimon Hounsou in that photo?  Why is he part of Danvers' entourage?  And who is the bearded guy.  Looks very Asgardian.  

I didn't notice until you you mentioned it.

I bet Joey has all the answers :)

• Haha 1

It would probably help if I read the captions for the pictures. :diaz:

The film sidesteps the traditional origin-story template, and when it begins, Carol already has her powers. She’s left her earthly life behind to join the elite military team Starforce on the Kree planet of Hala. (Directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck describe Starforce as the SEAL Team Six of space.) Its members include Carol, Korath (Djimon Hounsou, returning from Guardians of the Galaxy), and Minn-Erva (Crazy Rich Asians’ Gemma Chan).

Jude Law plays the commander of Starforce, who views Carol as a mentee and pet project. “These extraordinary powers she has, he sees them as something of a blessing and something that she has to learn how to control,” Law says. “That’s a motif throughout the piece, the element of learning to control one’s emotions and to use your powers wisely.”

https://ew.com/movies/captain-marvel-first-look-images/#captain-marvel

Chan is totally brilliant in the TV show Humans, and I thought she rocked Fantastic Beasts as well interesting to see that she has Law as a colleague again. 

On 9/5/2018 at 6:15 PM, NickC said:

Here's some new photos from EW

dbr1520_cmp_v710-1032.jpg

That's scarily impressive stuff, isn't it? Have they disclosed what method of trickery they are adopting here? Something similar to what they did with blending Kurt Russel and a double in Guardians 2 perhaps?

• Like 1

They did similar work with Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer in Ant-Man and the Wasp. It was seriously impressive in that film as well.

• Like 1

Blending with younger doubles? Nice. It definitely seems like the most convincing method vs de-aging the actor alone with CG. No doubt it's a far more complicated and time consuming too, but totally worth it I think. 

On 9/5/2018 at 4:45 PM, NickC said:

It would probably help if I read the captions for the pictures. :diaz:

https://ew.com/movies/captain-marvel-first-look-images/#captain-marvel

Ironically I started to read the captions, and then stopped, because they immediately enter spoiler territory.  But now that you've mocked me I had to read them.  Essentially, you made me read spoilers you dirty icewhole.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Blending with younger doubles? Nice. It definitely seems like the most convincing method vs de-aging the actor alone with CG. No doubt it's a far more complicated and time consuming too, but totally worth it I think. 

Has there been any confirmation on which are CG only de-aging vs CG blending with younger doubles?  Douglas in the first Ant-Man and Downey Jr in Civil War also come to mind. 

I'm fairly certain, just by looking at it, that Downey in Civil War was cg only. It's quite convincing until they have him get too close to camera and his skin texture just looks a bit off, too smooth. Douglas in the first Ant-man, from what I can understand from the Vanity Fair link below, was the same but they had a double just in case it didn't work with Douglas alone. I think the effect is better in Ant-man than in Civil War which is interesting since Ant-Man came out first. I didn't even question it until half way into the scene in Ant-man, and even then it was only because I took the effect totally for granted rather than recognising it as an effect before thinking "hey wait a minute..." Mind you I have only seen Ant-man streaming at home so I've not seen a higher quality or cinema presentation but even then it looks better than young Tony in Civil War.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/07/ant-man-michael-douglas-young

And re Downy Jr in Civil War:

https://www.gamesradar.com/captain-america-civil-war-young-robert-downey-jr/

• Like 1

I was trying to find pictures from the Ant-Man sequel but I can't seem to. The effect there is really convincing as hell. It's all about when these folks start moving around. That's generally when the effect falls apart but the sequel really takes what they did with Douglas in the original to a new level. Angel and I were commenting on it when we went to see it when he came down to visit. The only other time I had been impressed with this type of work was Blade Runner 2049 and the

Sean Young CG work at the end of the film

. Even though that wasn't strictly de-aging, it was pretty phenomenal.

• Like 2

That's another good example, yes. Also I think the work in Benjamin Button still holds up, thanks in no small part to Fincher's command for detail and perfectionism. Expert marriage of direction, performance, cinematography, CG and make-up.

It's interesting to see where this tech will go. I definitely think having the original actor in some capacity is the way to do it, rather than bringing someone who's dead back to life (Cushing in Rogue One for example). It was funny to read Douglas say he'd be keen to do an Ant-Man prequel with a Young Hank using the technology. One has to wonder how far off we might be from seeing this kind of thing where it's feasible to have a lead character de-aged throughout. 

I found this one re Pfeiffer while googling for articles on the other two:

https://www.bustle.com/p/young-michelle-pfeiffer-in-ant-man-the-wasp-came-about-through-the-coolest-movie-magic-9642999

Not really surprising, but Kevin Feige will oversee X-Men, F4, and Deadpool once the Disney merger is complete per Bob Iger.

How is Marvel going to absorb Fox’s X-Men franchise? Is Kevin Feige going to oversee everything?

I think it only makes sense. I want to be careful here because of what's been communicated to the Fox folks, but I think they know. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

So Deadpool could become an Avenger?

Kevin's got a lot of ideas. I'm not suggesting that's one of them. But who knows?

He also had some words on Gunn's firing

How involved do you get in decisions to cancel Roseanne at ABC or fire James Gunn at Marvel?

I would say there is a blend of my helping to make the decision to my supporting the decisions that have been made. Roseanne was completely unanimous. We discussed how it would be communicated and when because there were a number of entities that had to be properly filled in, but the decision was completely unanimous. The James Gunn decision was brought to me as a unanimous decision of a variety of executives at the studio and I supported it.

There was backlash. You still support it?

I haven't second-guessed their decision.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-iger-disneys-streaming-service-james-gunn-star-wars-slowdown-1145493

It’ll be interesting to see how they incorporate the X-Men. Full reboot please. It’s incredibly difficult making sense of the x film timelines now much less try to integrate it into the existing MCU.

Keep Deadpool and some of the actors though.:)

Best merger news though isn’t even covered.

e65ee4c4734ed6afe5044c5593b736b0.jpg

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how they bring the x-men into the fold as they have used the Inhumans in a very similar way on agents of shield. I do want it to be a full on reboot though , except for Deadpool because he will break the 4th wall on the entire thing. :)  

Any chance they’re sort of rebooting the MCU anyway?  If time travel is the fix, maybe we’re in a new world where the x-men are already involved with the Avengers.  They hit the ground running without doing origin stories.  Not saying I want that. Just a possibility.

I saw Antman and Wasp last night.  I have to say, I was very disappointed.  I think it is a very weak movie.  The dialog and performances are very mediocre.  The majority of the lines fell flat for me.  The majority of the quips and banter and one-liners fell into the category of almost-funny.  This movie wasn't "bad" but it felt more like a mediocre episode of a TV show that I would not keep watching unless they turned it around.

These Marvel movies get the benefit of the doubt and lots of good will during the opening credits.  So I was predisposed to liking this.  But if this wasn't MCU canon, I would not recommend anyone watch this movie.  That being said, the most exciting thing about this movie was its linkage to infinity war at the end.  Can't wait.

The sun is out and it's a beautiful cool Fall day, but I'm all gray inside. Complete agreement with Keith is just depressing. 

giphy.webp