LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Magness

Movie & TV Streaming/Digital Download Discussion Thread (iTunes, VUDU...etc)

39 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Genuinely honest question because I haven't paid CBS All Access any attention - is there anything else of value/exclusivity to watch?

We watch a LOT of CBS procedurals, so we tend to use it to watch those without having to fast forward thru commercials (they show up on CBSAA the next day)

Jordan Peele's "Twilight Zone" is pretty good, and although I haven't watched it, I understand "The Good Fight" is...well...good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dogbert said:

You're not selling it :) 

We certainly get our money's worth out of it (the aforementiond procedurals, plus DISCO and Picard, and my wife has started another re-watch of all the older Star Trek content.)

YMMV

For me it’s just for new Trek shows right now.  The old series are all on Netflix anyway (and I have them on disc)

20 hours ago, Whooter said:

I understand "The Good Fight" is...well...good.

I loved The Good Wife so have wanted to join just for this but have held off until something else caught my interest.  I do watch a few CBS procedurals so maybe having them commercial free is a good enough reason for me.

• Like 1

Some good discounts on Bruckheimer nonsense on UK iTunes today.

I'd heard that Con Air on iTunes used a better and more recent master than the edge enhanced Blu-ray and it's on sale here for 3.99. Sure enough, it's clearly from a much nicer source. Good colour and no nasty sharpening. I don't think Enemy of the State or Armageddon come from more recent masters on iTunes, but they are also 3.99 here right now. 

They were on sale a few weeks back here, but I had a bunch of them already.. Crimson Tide and The Rock were finally on sale so I picked those up.

This was a surprise. Paramount are having a Cruise-fest on disc next week with Top Gun, Days of Thunder and War of the Worlds getting UHD releases (all now updated on iTunes here), but this has extended digitally with 4k/DV releases of The Firm and Vanilla Sky too.

Curiously, my phone is still showing HD for War of the Worlds, though Top Gun and Vanilla Sky are both DV.

I would imagine it will update any day now. Days of Thunder is updated already so War of the Worlds is the last one to come.

Collateral is rumoured to have a UHD disc later in the year. No indication of that being updated on iTunes though. 

So... interesting thing about that new Con Air master on iTunes. I watched it this evening and it’s the theatrical cut. That’s never had a home video release as a couple of things were always mysteriously missing (notably from my memory, the “ooh, men in uniform” line).

Really wish we could get that master on disc as it’s very good but the compression took me out of it in places. At the very least I wish apple would use HEVC for HD and not just 4k. Maybe if they ever switch to AV1 they’ll do it for all content. That or HEVC for 1080p might actually make it very had to distinguish between a Blu-ray and a stream.

Several Paramount titles have been upgraded to 4k/HDR on iTunes:

Deep Impact

Escape from LA

Flashdance

Nashville

Pretty in Pink

Rango

Tropic Thunder

• Like 1

Woot :) Free upgrade for Tropic Thunder. It’s a title I like a lot but, wouldn’t rebuy on UHD so the upgrade is welcome. 

I can't see any of those getting a disc anyway to be honest. Rango and Deep Impact might have the best chance, but even then I'd consider it a slim one.

I noticed Airplane is now 4k on iTunes from Paramount. MGM have also put up Fargo in 4k (but o HDR?). 

Should be the same for the US.