LCVG

Assassin's Creed Odyssey leaked

Yeah, my OCD is in overdrive with this map at times. I’m doing most of it though.

It’s well worth it, Chris. The mechanisms with the cultists and the gear are so good. I vaguely remember the hidden society in Origins but this is that to a new, better extreme. Hunting for clues to unmask them, tracking them down, grabbing legendary loot. It’s like crack.

(To say nothing of the sea battles, tomb raiding, mercenaries, and arena battles)

I would honestly just grab the base game to start. There’s at least 80 hours in that sucker and I cannot imagine wanting more after this one’s wrapped up.

My sole advice continues to be to play as Kassandra though; she’s awesome.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like Greece is the next destination.

That’s great to hear! I’m on Memory Block 5 of the first game right now. I can’t wait to play this one in 2-3 years.

My desire to finish this before hell freezes over is currently at odds with my desire to explore every ? on the map. This game is insanely overstuffed with content.   I’m 10 hours in and it’

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mark E said:

My sole advice continues to be to play as Kassandra though; she’s awesome.

Yeah, that seemed to be the universal opinion around launch.  If nothing else, the DLC added 10 bucks to the price, and comes with the AC3 remaster.  I went back and checked, and the origins season pass was $35 on sale, although the version of the game that came with the season pass was also $35 on sale, so ubisoft seems to think that you'd really rather buy upfront, rather than wait for later. 

• Like 1

The last two haven’t had any real connection to the older games besides throwaway lines and are very different than the jump style of old.

Odyssey has been great and it has ship combat modelled on the stuff in Black Flag, which is largely why people loved it.

Just bear in mind that the series is now a high combat Witcher-esque game. In that respect, yeah, Black Flag is the best of the old style AC games (although I think Brotherhood is probably my personal favorite)

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to starting it, and yup, it's more Origins all right, right down to the eagle buddy and gear system.  I like the new combat abilities you can earn though, and it looks like the skill tree is streamlined a bit, although I'm sure that by the end you'll be able to unlock everything.  I was actually wondering right at the beginning whether they took out that animus pulse ability to tag enemies and treasures, but it turned out to be one of the first upgrades you could unlock, so I grabbed that.  We'll see how the story develops, but so far so good?  Kassandra seems like a bit of a blank slate right off the bat.  With Origins, they established a personal narrative for Bayek right off the bat, but here they haven't set that up yet.  There's hints I suppose, but nothing quite like the personal revenge plot, or even setup for what a Medjay is in the world from Origins (which was a good way to set up Bayek helping random people do stuff).

Anyway, looking forward to digging into more of it. 

Made it a little further, and I can see where the plot has finally gotten going.  I finished off the first big piece involving the Wolf, and am starting to deal with the aftermath now.  Definitely seems more combat heavy than even Origins did, but the abilities that use the adrenaline gauge seem to really help that along.   I grabbed the bull charge early on, and just unlocked one that lets you do assassin damage in combat that seems really brutal right now.  The healing ability has also come in handy more than once.  Only regret there is not being able to assign more than 4 at once-I should really have that Spartan Kick as well :)

Of course, now I'm stuck trying to kill a giant pig that I ran across, which is harder than it should be. 

• Like 1

That pig is the hardest fight I’ve done in my 40 hours with the game. He’s absolutely brutal at-level. My recommendation is to get some gear and engrave it with animal damage uppers and it helps a ton.

Poison is my ability of choice, typically. Damage over time and it also causes enemies to hit for less than normal. Spartan kick too, cuz yup!

• Like 1

I actually beat the pig at-level (I was level-1 before) the next time I went back and tried (trick seems to be not to ignore the other boars, and judicious use of dodge and heal).  I have yet to try the poison abilities at all, but I did just unlock the "death veil" skill that vanishes assassinated targets, which is pretty awesome.  Combat is a mix of hero strike and bull charge for the most part right now, and occasional use of the rush assassination (which will probably increase once I can chain it twice). 

I just unlocked that other menu today, and I see what you mean.  Already backtracked once to clear some of it off.  Looks to be much more extensive than what was in Origins, but also a different focus.  I like the way that the game has different icons for "these are the side quests that matter" vs "these are just for extra money/stuff".  Doesn't mean I'll necessarily ignore the others, but it's a good indicator of what to focus on.  Trying to push the story at least a little further now, and resist the temptation to just go through the world and unlock every fast travel point right off the bat (which used to be pretty standard MO in old AC games). Anyway, I can see running through that particular section of the game to be really rewarding.  It kind of makes up for the mercenaries not being quite as good as the Middle Earth nemesis system (although always keeping a bounty running makes it easy to find them-it just sucks when they team up). 

Oh, and I think I have an idea of what you meant by "an act of kindness having widespread consequences"...

Was it letting the cultist in the meeting go who said he was going to kill the guy in Athens?  I thought if I refused to torture him I'd be able to get a mole inside the cult, but now I have a feeling that Athens might be harder than anticipated. Suppose I'll find out when I get there...

I can't see them blocking any significant content off though.

Oh my god. There’s a skill to vanish assassinated bodies!? I swear I looked for that and never found it. Good to know for when I get back to it...

The consequences thing actually refers to the very first island...

I saved that family from being killed over the plague and if you do, the entire island is basically a filthy cesspool of disease later on. It doesn’t actually affect anything, as it turns out, story-wise, but I still feel bad and characters do reference the damage done...

Ah, I actually made the opposite choice at that point, and someone else referenced it, so I suppose that's one of the early impact choices.  I also figured out that the "impact quest" marker is for quests that result from choices you made, not necessarily things that have an impact on the cultists (which makes more sense I suppose). 

Just finished up in Athens for now I think, after spending far too long trying to track down a couple of the missing nodes on the graph.  Looks like the trick is just to keep doing sidequests until you unlock the right information. 

On 4/3/2019 at 7:40 AM, Mark E said:

Oh my god. There’s a skill to vanish assassinated bodies!? I swear I looked for that and never found it. Good to know for when I get back to it...

Death Veil-anyone you take out when unseen just disappears.  There's actually an interesting "bug" where if you have to confirm a kill, Kassandra will stab the invisible body (which I have a feeling that someone noticed, but left because it was funny).  

• Like 1

This is going to be a long one...  40+ hours in, and it seems like I've only uncovered maybe 40% of the map.  I finished 2 of the 3 Odyssey quests that I had open, and then took a detour to check out a couple of islands and get enough to upgrade to the L5 spear so I could assign the level 3 abilities.  Now...not sure what's next.  Maybe the next main story quest?  Lots of stuff in the list to clean out (maybe too much even). 

If I've got one major complaint with the game so far, it's that the gear upgrades feel like they're a lot more expensive than before.  I've got a bunch of Legendary stuff now, but keeping it at-level takes a lot of resources (which they appear to be happy to sell you for real money).  I suppose that's games these days, but it still feels a little dirty.  Also, I get that they wanted to make Diablo, but there's just too much different gear.  I basically ignore anything that's not a Legendary at this point and break it down.  It's a well implemented loot system, but as with everything in this game, there's a whole lot of it...

For as much as this game cribs from the Witcher though, it also steals the sidequests with interesting stories.  Every island seems to have its own story happening that may or may not play into the overall narrative, so it's fun to take those in chunks.  Even things that seem like one offs (like rescuing someone who claims to be a god) can have interesting outcomes. 

Man, I gave up keeping legendaries at level a long time ago. There are so many of them that long as I am rocking 2 or 3 I don’t mind. Otherwise I use purples with the occasional blue.

The cost of upgrading the legendaries is stupid, especially compared at upgrading, say, a lower quality item.

Best sources of resources are ship combat for wood and raiding the provincial storehouses to weaken an area, near as I can tell.

You’ll be past me soon if you aren’t already, Chris :)

Yeah, but the set bonuses...  I'm still rocking a set that gives me a huge bonus to poison damage (which I started using), and am currently on the hunt for something that'll give me a huge bump to Warrior damage, with a free revive every minute.  I still don't really have a good source for leather, and haven't gotten very good at the ship combat yet.  It seems harder than in Black Flag.  I failed miserably at the one navel Conquest Battle I tried.  I played most of Origins with legendaries that I kept upgrading to my current level, so while they reduced the number of types of crafting components, they've definitely upped the cost.

Oh, and I found that Minotaur section you were talking about.  Great writing in there!  I really liked the one guy who said I had to "accurately" find his sons.  When you asked him "What can you tell me about your sons?", he replies "They're little shits!" :) 

I think I just hit level 38 or 39? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Continuing to play this far more than I should, and up at level 55 I think, and just finished the Olympics questline (which has another great bit with a Spartan Olympic fighter).  I've managed to get to the top of the Mercenary ladder, kill maybe 2/3 of the cultists, and there are STILL large areas of the map that I haven't been to yet.  It improves over Origins in that after you've reached 50 (which was the original level cap), you can dump ability points into skill upgrades, so I can boost Assassin damage instead of dumping points into skills I never use.  Honestly thinking about a respec to take points out of skills I never use anymore, since I have a few favourites that work really well right now.  The Engravings also have a bunch of potential to upgrade gear, and then there's the legendary forge that gives you the chance to buy extra engraving levels for drachmae, so there's not as much of a hard wall as Origins had in getting to the "end". 

I have learned to avoid most of the message board quests and "time limited" quests, since those are usually pretty trivial fetch/deliver things.  The contracts and bounties are worth picking up though, especially since most of them are things you'd do anyway.  I've been trying to clear out all the gold quests though, since they at least seem like they have some writing behind them, and generally have a little more meat than "take X to Y". 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Finally finished the main game in this, but there's still more to see, especially given all the DLC content, which seems to be at least interesting so far.  Also found another awesome bit of writing that involves an imposter "eagle bearer" and a city being threatened by pirates (I think the quest is called "a very bad day") that was almost as good as the minotaur stuff.  I'm working my way through what's left on the quest log at least, which is the Shadow of the First Blade, the Atlantis stuff, plus some random cleanup in and around the world. 

It definitely gets to the point where you can actually afford to keep things upgraded.  I'm still using the poison daggers that I got from one of the mercenaries combined with a couple of boots to both poison and assassin damage that make most encounters pretty quick these days. 

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Picked this up in the sale digitally, but having a ton of freezing/crashing on my xbx one x 😕 LIke it's hard to get 30 minutes in without it freezing when I enter/exit the map/pause screen. 

I don't particularly want to redownload ~80GB of game but I don't know what else to try.

6 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Picked this up in the sale digitally, but having a ton of freezing/crashing on my xbx one x 😕 LIke it's hard to get 30 minutes in without it freezing when I enter/exit the map/pause screen. 

I don't particularly want to redownload ~80GB of game but I don't know what else to try.

Internal or external drive?

Dumb question, too but have you tried completely rebooting the X? Like hold the power button to do a full reboot? You’re technically clearing out the cache/memory and it’s helped me a ton in the past with goofy game issues and/or crashes.

14 hours ago, Romier S said:

Internal or external drive?

Dumb question, too but have you tried completely rebooting the X? Like hold the power button to do a full reboot? You’re technically clearing out the cache/memory and it’s helped me a ton in the past with goofy game issues and/or crashes.

Was on external, already moved it to internal this morning on a whim, haven't had an issue since. Weird! Nothing else has had this issue. 

Enjoying the game so far, but still very early - just got my first rowboat, that's how early ;) They've certainly smoothed out a lot of the rough edges since Black Flag & honed in on the formula.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:40 AM, Mark E said:

The consequences thing actually refers to the very first island...

Hide contents

I saved that family from being killed over the plague and if you do, the entire island is basically a filthy cesspool of disease later on. It doesn’t actually affect anything, as it turns out, story-wise, but I still feel bad and characters do reference the damage done...

I made that choice the same way, expecting that to happen 😈

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...