LCVG

Suikoden series

Damien

Hi, everyone! I'm new here, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area. The Suikoden series appears on the PS1 & PS2, but I thought this would be the best place to post. Anyhow...I recently stumbled across a copy of Suikoden II and bought it solely because I know it's very rare. I also bought Suikoden III while I was there. I was hoping to start a discussion on the series to find out some opinions and info on the games, since I don't know much about them. The stories to the games sound very interesting to me. What to you all think? Later!

You know I've been wanting to try Suikoden III since its release but I never got around to it. (mostly because I have Dark Cloud 2 and Xenosaga to still get through).

I have fond memories of the first Suikoden for the PS1. It was my staple "college" game along with Mario Kart 64. Had a bunch of dorm buddies over for MK tournaments and then moved on to some quality time with Suikoden. I remember the graphics really weren't anything to shout about but the large scale battle portions were very fun and the spell effects were far better than the garbage that was Beyond the Beyond (at the time one of the only other PS1 RPG's).

I can barely remember the storyline for the game (I really would love to rebuy the first game though I haven't seen it around my area) but I do remember the light colored castle where you could select from the 100+ characters. (I believe there was a building component to the castle as well though my memory is short). Great game though. I never got around to trying part 2 either for that matter.

What do you think of III thus far Damien? Another regular poster here (Stencil) and I had a conversation on it a long time ago and he was having some trouble getting into the groove of the game back then (mostly due to character design if I remember right, feel free to correct me Josh!:). Whats your take?

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I haven't tried Suikoden III yet. As I understand it, the story from part 1 continues in part 2, and part 2 continues in 3, so I'd like to play them in order. I'll try to pick up 1 soon. I think it's really cool that the stories and characters continue throughout the series, plus you can use saves from part 1 in 2 and from part 2 in 3. Don't know exactly what you can get by doing this, but it's a cool idea. These seem like really cool and innovative games. I think I'll really enjoy them. Did you enjoy collecting the 100+ characters in the first, or did it seem like a hassle? Thanks again for the welcome and for your post! Have a great evening!

P.S. - I can't wait to get Dark Cloud 2 and Xenosaga! ;) ...I just got my PS2 and am probably going to wind up so broke I can't pay attention.

I can't wait to get Dark Cloud 2 and Xenosaga!

Definitely pick up DC2 first. Its a marvelous game, truly it is. One of the very best RPG's that the PS2 has to offer. Graphically its gorgeous and the depth of gameplay is wonderfully deep though daunting at times.

Xenosaga can also be found very cheap (hell you can get both games for 15 bucks a piece). Xeno is a bit more of a "have to be in the mood to play" type game as alot of it is simply watching cut scenes but the story is good and the developers had enough foresight to include options to pause and skip every cut-scene in the game. If I may be so bold I would HIGHLY recommend Xenogears for the original PS1 as it remains to this day, my favorite Japanese RPG for any system out there. Its difficult to come by and you may pay upwards of 40 bucks for it but believe me its worth every last penny.

You'll no doubt get a ton of enjoyment out of your PS2 Damien. Make sure you pop your head up to breath and post your thoughts. Also make sure you look into some other titles that require less "dedication" than these massive RPG's. The PS2 has some stellar action and platforming titles that are worth looking into (and that can be found for very cheap including Devil May Cry, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. All of which can be had for 20 bucks a pop.)

If I may be so bold I would HIGHLY recommend Xenogears for the original PS1

I have had a copy of Xenogears for a couple of months now, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. What aspects of it did you like most? I've read many great things about the game, but I'm not sure if I'll like the Mech type battles. I know Xenosaga has Mech battles as well, but if I understand correctly, they're not as prevalent. Perhaps I'll fall in love with the Mechs, though. Just didn't sound too appealing at first. Did you enjoy the battle system in Xenogears, FutureVoid?

Also, if I may ask, where can I find Xenosaga and Dark Cloud 2 for $15? I was planning on getting them this week. Thanks very much!

Did you enjoy the battle system in Xenogears, FutureVoid?

You can call me Romier ;) .

Yes! The battle system is the best part of Xenogears and to be honest its almost identical to how Xenosaga works (considering Saga is a spiritual sequel to Gears thats understandable). The mech combat in Gears is very close to how the regular characters fight. Its all combo based and uses the ATP (attack points system). You get a certain amount of attack points you can use to do attacks/combos. The attacks and items simply change for the Gear combat.

What you really should focus on in Xenogears is the story. Its truly the high point of the game. Very mature storyline that unfolds beautifully. It features various religious ideas such as the death of god and the duality of man. Really brainy stuff but man it just keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Nice to meet you, Romier. Call me Rob. You're making Xenogears sound really intriguing to me now. I love it when philosophical/religious ideas infiltrate entertainment...and for some reason, especially when it's controversial. The story of Xenogears sounds like something I'll truly enjoy. Perhaps I can get hooked on it before I have to move back to school. (If I'm really hooked, it helps me justify neglecting my studies a bit :twisted: ) I'm so glad I got a PS2. Thanks for chatting with me about these games. I wish my break from school was long enough to finish all these games I got. It's going to be a long semester. Heh-heh... Oh, and if you get a chance, could you let me know where I can get Xenosaga and Dark Cloud 2 for $15? Thanks so much!

Rob

Just saw this message today.

What do you think of III thus far Damien? Another regular poster here (Stencil) and I had a conversation on it a long time ago and he was having some trouble getting into the groove of the game back then (mostly due to character design if I remember right, feel free to correct me Josh!:).

While I do believe the character design is a problem, that's never stopped me from enjoying a game (see Super Monkey Ball).

My real problem with it is that the characters themselves are just preposterous to me. For a guy who likes RPGs, I have a very low tolerance for overly dramatic fantasy characters. Suikoden's characters and story came off as pretty cliche...to me.

I still have the game because I think one day I might get back into it, but I still have to finish KOTOR, FFX-2, and Xenosaga.

I second the suggestion to pick up Dark Cloud 2. Fantastic game - it's more of an action-RPG akin to Zelda, though, so don't look for the turn-based classic RPG setup of the other games we're talking about here.

I recently stumbled across a copy of Suikoden II and bought it solely because I know it's very rare

You have no idea.

This thing is an eBay goldmine unless the bottom dropped from the market.

I don't advocate tossing away games you are likely to enjoy, but selling a $20 game for $85 was too much for my weak soul to resist ;).

Wow! I just found another copy of Suikoden II today and picked it up for my girlfriend. As I was checking out and paying $65 for it, the manager of the EB said that it was coming out as a greatest hits title soon. Anyone know anything about that? Later!

Rob

P.S. - Also got Valkyrie Profile! :D Any thoughts?

Romier,

They had another copy of VP, but the discs were in bad shape, and it didn't come with a manual. Still, it was $45! :shock: The same price I paid for mine with manual and in good condition. I was going to buy both...one for me and one for my girlfriend, but I wasn't about to pay for that. I'm going shopping again tomorrow, and if I find a copy, I'll let you know. Have a good night!

Rob