LCVG

Halo Infinite (Xbox, PC) - Releasing December 8th, 2021

Romier S

The pessimist in me is thinking they took the latest day they could just so they could say it’s releasing this year. After all this time, I can’t help but feel this game is still coming in very hot. Maybe a delay isn’t such a bad idea.

Side note…I referred to Halo as a live service game still because in the video, they called it that.

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

Side note…I referred to Halo as a live service game still because in the video, they called it that.

Oh I totally get that. It's my own level of pessimism butting its ugly head in terms of me buying into their marketing speak there. 

I agree with you in that I also feel like the game is going to come in very hot and they're going to spend months fixing issues and delivering what should have been a more complete product at launch, IMO.

In that regard, it is very much a live service game so ignore me! :spencer:

Addendum: I feel sorry for the developers at 343 who are going to release this game supposedly on December 8th and may end up having to work during the holidays to respond to bugs and perhaps more significant problems. That truly sucks if it ends up happening. I sincerely hope that we're wrong and what we end up getting in December is a generally good game all around.

December 8th is official.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/start-your-spartan-journey-on-dec-8

The road through 2021 has been an exciting one, Spartans - but, here at the tail-end of August we’re especially glad to see you. Throughout the last year we’ve been doing our very best to keep you posted on all of our latest Halo Infinite developments, be it through the Inside Infinite blog series, the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase, or of course, the annual celebration of games out in Germany – Gamescom.

We’re thankful that so many of you have joined us on this journey. Whether you just peeked your head into Halo Waypoint to take a look, or you’re a full-fledged Halo Insider that helped us test Halo Infinite during the technical preview, we couldn’t be more humbled. That’s why today we’re thrilled to announce that Halo Infinite will release on December 8, 2021 for Xbox and PC.

• Romier S changed the title to Halo Infinite (Xbox, PC) - Releasing December 8th, 2021
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Paul said:

Am I the only one that thought maybe MS should consider a lesser price for the campaign since a part of the package they use to charge $60 for is free? 

Yes.

Edit: I misread that. The answer is actually no. I’m sure others think they SHOULD consider charging less. I do not think anyone thinks they actually would. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Am I the only one that thought maybe MS should consider a lesser price for the campaign since a part of the package they use to charge $60 for is free? 

They do have something like that. It’s called a one-month subscription to Game Pass. 🙂

10 hours ago, Paul said:

8 hours ago, JFo said:

They do have something like that. It’s called a one-month subscription to Game Pass. 🙂

I was thinking about this the other day, but it's interesting how the Game Pass factor has left me a lot more easy going of the game's troubled development than it otherwise might have (dare I say indifferent), particularly when we're three months from release and barely know anything about the campaign which is the only aspect of interest to me. I'm not sure that's good thing in the grand scheme of things, that a subscription service should somewhat render a product "criticism proof" by nature of games feeling like free handouts. Naturally, if I don't like it I can in fact still say so and/or stop playing and move on to something else, but the very nature of Game Pass, and to a lesser extent PS+, requiring such little investment on my part can certainly skew my view of a game's development and quality. 

53 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I was thinking about this the other day, but it's interesting how the Game Pass factor has left me a lot more easy going of the game's troubled development than it otherwise might have (dare I say indifferent), particularly when we're three months from release and barely know anything about the campaign which is the only aspect of interest to me. I'm not sure that's good thing in the grand scheme of things, that a subscription service should somewhat render a product "criticism proof" by nature of games feeling like free handouts. Naturally, if I don't like it I can in fact still say so and/or stop playing and move on to something else, but the very nature of Game Pass, and to a lesser extent PS+, requiring such little investment on my part can certainly skew my view of a game's development and quality. 

This is a more interesting philosophical point than you intended or should receive credit for.

You're basically saying that Gamepass lowers the expectations floor and ceiling. And is that a bad thing? No doubt our happiness "seems" to stem from external factors in our lives. But in reality our experience and perception is heavily influenced by INTERNAL factors. 

In the end, if I watch a transformers movie and enjoy it more than any movie ever made, and therefore re-watch it over and over, and die of malnutrition and dehydration with a big smile on my face, who are you to deny I lived a fruitful and happy life or that Transformers "isn't" infact the greatest movie of all time?

When it comes to enjoyment of anything, there is no reality, only perception. And if I enjoy something more than you, the reasons don't matter. I'm the winner for being happy. And you're the loser for writing a miserable review on rotten tomatoes.  Fuck you.

2 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Free, free…. And free 😉

Being available thru a subscription service is not free.

And I have Gamepass, so it’s not a concern to me. But for people that don’t want to or can’t afford to, they are charging full price for just the campaign minus a pretty big mode at launch. I’m not surprised, but it would could have been one of those consumer friendly moves at a time when Sony is getting hammered for their upgrade pricing.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

But for people that don’t want to or can’t afford to, they are charging full price for just the campaign minus a pretty big mode at launch. I’m not surprised, but it would could have been one of those consumer friendly moves at a time when Sony is getting hammered for their upgrade pricing.

The way I see it, it depends on what you want from a Halo package.

If you’re primarily into the multiplayer, good news! You don’t have to pay anything for it! And with recent changes to Xbox Live, you no longer even need a Gold membership to play free-to-play multiplayer games online. The only downside for you is that you may have to spend money on cosmetics and other bonuses, as this game will now surely employ the typical free-to-play monetization tactics in order to turn a profit. If you get roped into it, you could end up spending way more for the in-app purchases than you would have on the single $60 package.

For folks like me, who haven’t touched online multiplayer Halo since Halo 2, it’s not going to be much different than what we’ve already been doing. I’ve been essentially paying exclusively for the campaigns, as that’s the only part of the package I’ve ever cared about. Yes, I was getting the multiplayer modes as well, but given the fact I never used them, they were of little value to me. If you don’t want to pay the full $60, you can always go the Game Pass route, like I suggested earlier, or you can wait until the game goes on sale — a likely event at some point during the first year.

If you love both equally, you’re more or less paying the same amount to get both modes. It’s just that they are now two separate packages, so I see it as a wash. The biggest downside here is that you don’t have ownership of the multiplayer mode, the same way you would for the campaign. Given the current state of online games though, it’s probably the best move to ensure a large and sustained player base.

18 hours ago, foogledricks said:

This is a more interesting philosophical point than you intended or should receive credit for.

You're basically saying that Gamepass lowers the expectations floor and ceiling. And is that a bad thing? No doubt our happiness "seems" to stem from external factors in our lives. But in reality our experience and perception is heavily influenced by INTERNAL factors. 

In the end, if I watch a transformers movie and enjoy it more than any movie ever made, and therefore re-watch it over and over, and die of malnutrition and dehydration with a big smile on my face, who are you to deny I lived a fruitful and happy life or that Transformers "isn't" infact the greatest movie of all time?

When it comes to enjoyment of anything, there is no reality, only perception. And if I enjoy something more than you, the reasons don't matter. I'm the winner for being happy. And you're the loser for writing a miserable review on rotten tomatoes.  Fuck you.

Firstly, fuck you too obviously. I think I'm simply wrestling with the (inevitable) reality of games now following music, movies and TV down the path of online platforms making them feel instantly disposable, and how that has altered the way we consume and respond to entertainment, and has even altered the way creators might think about work they produce. 

Game Pass is brilliant, and almost seems tailor made for someone like me who still likes games but has other interests that are more likely to swallow up the lion's share of my disposable income. Consequently the value such a service offers feels like something of a culture shock given the history of gaming being a uniquely expensive hobby, and one that I might otherwise feel priced out of this generation. If there's a philosophical point, it's more about how these things have changed our engagement with media rather than the question of our enjoyment. 

34 minutes ago, iainl said:

That’s a very interesting and nuanced argument, AtC. 

I am, naturally, ignoring any obligation to give it a similarly serious and nuanced reply, because I’m still laughing at someone who has purchased multiple Leicas calling gaming “a uniquely expensive hobby.” 

Sorry. 

What makes this is especially funny (by which I mean embarrassing) is that I was literally looking at something Leica related just before reading this. In my defence I DID say that I have other interests that swallow up the bulk of my spending. :) 

Specifically in terms of entertainment spending though, which was really what I was getting at, I think games have indeed been a uniquely, or perhaps more accurately put, consistently expensive hobby compared to books, music, cinema/dvd/blu-rays...etc, and I say that as someone with a horrible history of regularly spending north of £100 on a single monograph to sit on my already overstuffed bookshelves.