LCVG

Halo Infinite [Xbox/PC]

Romier S

Sorry for the confusion; apparently it was originally a preorder bonus on the original game, but by the time I got mine, around the same time as Daniel, you had to buy it as DLC for something like £5ish. I know, because I got my MCC as a second hand disc when I got the console. Either Game Pass added the whole thing, or they just made that DLC free again, I'm not sure which, but certainly the game had it in but you couldn't play it as standard.

5 minutes ago, iainl said:

Sorry for the confusion; apparently it was originally a preorder bonus on the original game, but by the time I got mine, around the same time as Daniel, you had to buy it as DLC for something like £5ish. I know, because I got my MCC as a second hand disc when I got the console. Either Game Pass added the whole thing, or they just made that DLC free again, I'm not sure which, but certainly the game had it in but you couldn't play it as standard.

Daniel would have had if through Gamepass and I’m almost positive Gamepass included the full package. You’re right through that normally it would have been a $5 purchase. Initially it was given away as an apology for the garbage state of the MCC at launch.

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

It wasn’t added to Gamepass MCC last year when it got the X patch was it? I parted with my X early spring of last year.

ODST was added to MCC in 2015. It’s a separate download from the main package, which just includes Halos 1-4. Same for Reach.

I see. Reach definitely came after I parted ways with the X. I'm keen to replay that too.

OK so after I finish Infinite I will definitely make a point to indulge in a big Halo-fest over several months sometime in the future (maybe next summer). Perhaps we could make a group thing of it and revisit each game at around the same time, and maybe even schedule co-op where possible (much of my fondness for 3 is thanks to my memories of the co-op play throughs with some of you. Fun times). 

....unless Infinite sours us for good on the whole franchise. 

Adding fuel to the fire that there is indeed an open world angle to Infinite:

Aside from the title being a possible giveaway, 343 may well have even given us the best hint of this direction with that debut trailer having shown us huge vistas and dense wildlife. Again, the most recent rumours doing the rounds are claiming the game is in fact going to be similar to Metro Exodus, mixing traditional linear levels with four differently themed open world areas. For those wanting a good insight into that game:

If they pull of something like that with Halo then it could really turn out to be something special.

I like that box art. It definitely gives off vibes of this being an open-world Halo game rather than the linear corridor shooter the series is known for.

With that, I present to you my Halo: Infinite Wishlist. These are things that I am really hoping to see in the next game.

Let me play as — and only as — Master Chief.

Everything we've seen so far about this game suggests that Master Chief will be the main character — from the E3 2018 announcement trailer all the way to today's box art reveal. I feel pretty confident that 343 Industries has learned its lesson and won't try any of the bullshit they pulled in Halo 5 with Spartan Locke. This time it need to be all about Chief and his quest to save/stop Cortana.

I'm very confident this will happen, but marketing campaigns can be pretty deceptive as well as we've seen recently with The Last of Us Part II. My gut says that 343 will play it safe this time around in order to win back the approval of their fanbase.

Give me a comprehensible story.

343 Industries have not been very good stewards of the Halo storyline, in my opinion. The plots of the last two games have been confusing and convoluted, requiring the player to either read up on expanded universe Halo lore from novels and comics or locate hard-to-find terminals during gameplay. What I really hope for this time is a story that keeps things relatively simple. Give us all the information we need to understand what is happening in the game itself in a way that we will naturally come across it during gameplay.

Back-to-basics gameplay but with some modern twists.

I would love it if Halo: Infinite is to Halo 5 what Resident Evil 7 was to Resident Evil 6: a return form for a series that strayed too far from its roots. When I play this game, I want to feel like I'm playing the original Halo again, but updated for the modern era. Give me big open areas to explore in a Warthog. Give me epic battles where scores of enemies face off against a lone Master Chief (and maybe a friend in co-op). At the same time, take advantage of a lot of the advancements made in game design the past 20 years to enhance that experience. Do things like improving Chief's armor and arsenal over the course of the game. Give him new move sets to learn. Hell, give him a skill try for all I care. Just do something interesting with it!

Make the campaign much longer than previous titles.

Fuck, the game is called Halo: Infinite, for godsakes! It's probably going to be a fairly long game. How long, I don't know. I hope its longer than the 8-10 hours we've come to expect. Ideally, I'd like at least a 20-hour campaign. That seems to be just long enough to be fulfilling while not completely overstaying its welcome. 

Open world would be cool, but isn't necessary. 

Most everyone seems to think (and with good reason!) that this will be the first open-world Halo. I strongly suspect this as well, but I don't think it has to be in order to be great. I would be very happy if the game was like Gears 5 or Seattle Day 1 in The Last of Us Part II, which featured several large open areas to explore with several points of interest to locate and explore. If it is open world, that would be cool too, but I'm not making it a requirement for me to be excited about it.

Of course maybe none of these things will come true, and I will be left with a game I could care less about. The good news is we'll find out soon enough.

20 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

Is Destiny/Destiny2 considered "open world"?  If so, I could dig a model like that for Halo.

Well Destiny places heavy emphasis on being an online multi-player open world experience. I really wouldn't like Infinite to attempt to follow Destiny, not least because it wouldn't look great for 343, who picked up the Halo baton, to be seen to continue walking in the shadow of Bungie. 

I really think a Metro Exodus style approach would be the most exciting way to go, keeping the familiarity of the linear formula from past Halo games, but at the same time injecting it with a whole new level of scale via way of open world zones. I'm worried I'll be disappointed if that's not what we see tomorrow now. 😆 I really recommend watching that Exodus video I posted above as it really makes a compelling argument for that style of approach. 

Just now, Angry the Clown said:

I really think a Metro Exodus style approach would be the most exciting way to go, keeping the familiarity of the linear formula from past Halo games, but at the same time injecting it with a whole new level of scale via way of open world zones. I'm worried I'll be disappointed if that's now what we see tomorrow now. 😆 I really recommend watching that Exodus video I posted above as it really makes a compelling argument for that style of approach. 

Yeah, I think I don't want to have to worry about repairing my weapons, eating, or what I would consider to be standard survival gameplay elements in a Halo game. All the other stuff sounds interesting though. 

Hasn’t open world been a thing for Infinite from the get go? I feel like we’ve known that for awhile. Its the extent of the open world we haven't had defined. 

The Exodus comparison is basically asking for "wide linear" design. Similar to what Naughty Dog has dabbled with in their recent games like Uncharted Lost Legacy and The Last of Us 2 or what The Coalition did in Gears of War 5 with their more open segments. Exodus is basically four large "wide linear" areas with a variety of objectives peppered around that map. Once you go in, it reverts to the linear design of its predecessors in terms of the stealth/firefights you partake in, etc. I would be fine with that for Halo Infinite. I have very little taste for a fully "Skyrim" Halo experience. Nor do I need a 20 hour experience unless the design actually supports that. If we're doing the same "30 seconds of fun" that 343 has copied now from the previous 5 games with little variation, 8-10 hours of that is just fine thank you. Now if they're (finally!) introducing new mechanics, added traversal and real wrinkles that can sustain 20 hours? I'm all in.

I would add support for Jeff's call for the series to return to a high level of comprehensive storytelling that we haven't had since Reach. I don't want to read a Halo novel and I shouldn't have to make heads or tails of what's happening in your game. Just tell me a good story in this universe. I know the series is capable of that. Bungie managed to do it pretty well for 5 damned games.

Oh and if I see a single Warden Eternal boss fight, I'll literally snap the disc in a half and throw it in the garbage.:fauci-facepalm:

I don't necessarily need a comprehensive story, I just don't want a convoluted one. Even with the best of the Bungie games I've no recollection of what the story was all these years later. I just remember Chief, Arbiter and Cortana, and that's fine. Keep it coherent, and most importantly keep it well paced.