LCVG

Halo Infinite [Xbox/PC]

Romier S

So Halo Infinite is a "platform". There will be no sequel. They will be building new stories under the "Infinite" umbrella from here on out. They plan to add new gameplay elements and technologies as they go and will be using the game as a base for Halo for the "next 10 years". Oh and Ray Tracing is coming as a free patch post update.

https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-2-wont-be-happening-says-343-industries

I was sad it was so underwhelming. I wanted a sense of scale, to be awed by it. They NEEDED something like that to make people sit up and take notice. It looks fine, it should be fine, but for a first gameplay reveal fine and a shrug of my shoulders isn't going to cut it. It was severely lacking. Those days of Halo 2 and 3 hype are truly long gone as they just failed to sell this as something BIG (ironic given the open world approach). 

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

So Halo Infinite is a "platform". There will be no sequel. They will be building new stories under the "Infinite" umbrella from here on out. They plan to add new gameplay elements and technologies as they go and will be using the game as a base for Halo for the "next 10 years". Oh and Ray Tracing is coming as a free patch post update.

So...is it just Destiny? 

23 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

So...is it just Destiny? 

They're saying its not a "live service" game. Only that it will represent the platform for the Halo universe to come and they will build on it with more story content, technology and there will be no sequel.

Microsoft is the master of muddled fucking messaging anymore to me so make of that what you will. 

So yeah, its fucking Destiny.

I'm legit going to put it out there that based on the footage, the pop-in, etc. that they showed the game running on the One X or its that version of the game with minimal enhancements on Series X. The fact that we aren't even going to see a ray tracing patch until post launch tells you everything you need to know there.

Given what they've said about the game being a "platform", it feels like its Halo Infinite Early Access. :/

Honestly, this is the one game that I thought Microsoft would really knock out of the park and needed to and frankly they didn't. It was Halo. Not a bad thing per se. I thought it looked fine but I said it in the chat "I can play this just fine on my One X".

So on the good news front, the story is indeed a bit of soft reboot. The whole "We lost" thing? Yeah the Chief and the Pilot don't even know what that's about. The story is set a good ways after Halo 5...

https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-villain-and-story-details-revealed

“Chief and the Pilot are in exactly the same position as the player when the game starts,” Crocker said. “They don’t know what’s happened. They’re learning what’s happening, together.” Lee told us that the new Xbox Games Showcase demo takes place roughly four hours into the campaign, which he said is “several times larger than our last two campaigns put together,” referring to Halo 4 and Halo 5.

Players fight The Banished in Infinite – a rogue faction of Brutes (along with plenty of familiar Covenant Elites and Grunts too) who were prominently featured in Halo Wars 2. The team at 343 is quick to note that you won’t need to have played that 2017 real-time strategy game to feel comfortable in Infinite (“It’s not required reading,” Crocker noted), nor will you have to consume the comic books and novels of the larger Halo universe in order to understand what’s going on in the new game – a criticism of Halo 4 and 5 that 343 acknowledged. “We don’t want a game where players have to do homework to enjoy this game,” Crocker said. But why The Banished? “Because they’re super cool and everyone likes them,” he said with a laugh, before more seriously adding that the team wanted “to have something that’s an evolution of the Covenant so you get some of the familiar, but something that’s different [too], and it comes together to feel fresh.”

“We want places to go and we want new mysteries.” Lee added, “It’s setting the foundation for future storytelling as well as tying some of those threads from the past. You don’t need to go through the whole franchise to learn and understand the fiction coming in, but if you do have that knowledge we want to reward that. You’ll see these [extended universe] elements and nostalgic moments. There have been a lot of goosebumps in the studio as we have [finished] different scenes and things that are in the game.”

That ending sequence also introduces us to the villain of the story: a Banished leader named War Chief Escharum, who is the leader of The Banished on this Halo ring and “is connected to The Banished in a fundamental way,” according to Crocker, and proclaims this Halo ring as his last stand, knowing that Master Chief is coming for him.

It’s funny. If you had told me that Spider-Man: Miles Morales — the big first-party launch title for the PS5 — was actually a PS4 game, I would have believed you, based on that trailer.

I like Alanah Pearce’s take. No, it’s not hyper realistic, but it looks like classic Halo, both in terms of visuals and gameplay. That’s what I want. That’s what I hope 343 delivers.

Split screen and co-op are back.

Martin Robinson, writing for Eurogamer: 

Halo Infinite will see the return of series staple mode co-op as well as splitscreen, as 343 Interactive sets about what creative director Paul Crocker calls "a love letter to Halo".

In an online preview session taking place in the immediate aftermath of Halo Infinite's gameplay reveal, 343 was understandably evasive on most details but did confirm that both modes will return in what it's calling a "spiritual reboot" for the series. 

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I was sad it was so underwhelming. I wanted a sense of scale, to be awed by it. They NEEDED something like that to make people sit up and take notice. It looks fine, it should be fine, but for a first gameplay reveal fine and a shrug of my shoulders isn't going to cut it. It was severely lacking. Those days of Halo 2 and 3 hype are truly long gone as they just failed to sell this as something BIG (ironic given the open world approach). 

The impression I get from all the reporting that has come out today is that there is a lot more to this game than what we saw in the presentation. I think the question for 343 Industries was what, specifically, do they chose to focus on with their eight-minute demo? They did give a small taste of what the open world is like, showing the map and whatnot, but not much beyond that. What they did show was lots of was typical Halo gameplay. Traveling around in a Warthog. Fighting swarms of Covenant forces. Using a variety of weapons and gadgets.

In other words, they showed that they had nailed the basics of Halo. This is important because they need to get those right before they can try anything new.  If they can’t get that classic gameplay loop right, the rest won’t work either. Hopefully now they can expand upon all the other aspects they didn’t show today and give us a more complete sense of what’s in store for players later this year.

2 minutes ago, JFo said:

In other words, they showed that they had nailed the basics of Halo. This is important because they need to get those right before they can try anything new.  If they can’t get that classic gameplay loop right, the rest won’t work either. Hopefully now they can expand upon all the other aspects they didn’t show today and give us a more complete sense of what’s in store for players later this year.

Yeah, I think it's clear their goal was to tell a story of "We're a Halo game, like you remember & love". But it didn't tell the story of how they're a next-gen Halo game worth buying a $400-500 console to play the best version of. 

MS + 343 have less than four months to figure out how to tell that second story. I can't imagine those screenshots + captures were what they wanted out of today? 

40 minutes ago, JFo said:

In other words, they showed that they had nailed the basics of combat. 

This is their third Halo release. They showed they could handle the “basic” combat loop in Halo 4.  I mean if this were the first post-Bungie Halo, fair enough but it’s not. We know they can make a solid shooter. Could they make a flagship title for a new console launch that can help move a possible $500 piece of hardware? Showing the “basics” on your big splash game reveal for the “most powerful console ever!”? That’s problematic at best and it’s why I think folks are feeling underwhelmed by it.

Maybe if you had the mind share/benefit of the doubt from your first party output to lean on that could fly. That’s where the Miles Morales comparison fails. Sony doesn’t have anything to prove on the first party front to sell its console. They’ve been doing that for 7 years.  Miles will likely have a damn near 1:1 attach rate because Sony/Insomniac has that mind share. At one point, so did Halo. Not anymore.

Mind you, I thought the demo in motion was totally fine as I said before. I very much appreciated the buttery smooth framerate.  I‘m totally planning to buy it...

..on the Xbox One X.

Whether they want to call it that or not, it seems they are basically creating their version of Destiny. In motion it looked good to me and that matters most.

But with Halo, Everwild, and possibly Fable, Forza, and State of Decay, it seems like their tent pole first party games are going to be a games as service with smaller games filling in the more traditional experience on Gamepass. I hope I’m looking at this wrong, because otherwise it seems they are giving you great value, but then using those games as a “platform” to keep you invested and spending over a long period of time, above the monthly Gamepass cost.