LCVG

Halo Infinite [Xbox/PC]

Romier S

7 hours ago, Paul said:

I wonder if they thought as a games as service, they could make the necessary improvements over time, such as the ray tracing patch, but the overwhelming negative reaction caused them to rethink that strategy. Ultimately though, it’s for the best. 

I can't imagine that it is simply a delay triggered off the back of public reception to the reveal. As Romier said, I think that's just one part of it, and may well have been what ultimately prompted the decision, but with COVID disruption, and hints of a troubled development over the past five years, it would seem that a number of things pushed them in this direction.

It was difficult to watch that reveal and not think "this is a next-gen title and the culmination of half a decade's work?"

I thought most of the PDZ backlash came after release, but I could be misremembering.  It did review reasonably well (at least the gamespot one) though.  The game was definitely OK, and I think that PDZ, Kameo, Geometry Wars, and COD2 made the 360 launch lineup pretty strong all things considered.  PDZ also made launch. 

As for Halo Infinite... I'm glad they're taking the time to get the game right, but that was really the last big hope for launch, wasn't it. 

PDZ is responsible for the Wall Guy meme....

WallGuy.jpg

That was pre-release backlash. The final game was pretty solid technically. Rare loved them some parallax mapping since it’s freakin’ everywhere. 

Artistically though it was a huge step down from the original, IMO.

Also, @ChrisBardon how DARE you omit Condemned in your 360 launch lineup overview?!

giphy.gif

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/halo-infinite-could-drop-its-xbox-one-version-its-been-claimed/

Rumour that the Xbox One version of Infinite May be dropped as they are having troubles getting it working.... and maybe holding the game back. 

“[The] current version of Halo Infinite on Xbox One S is nowhere near 1080p (even lower than 900p) and is having serious asset loading issues (much worse that you have seen on PC demo),” the user wrote.

“Idea is to change at the engine level how assets load, make RT as default (improve/”unlock” some assets), improve geometry, post-processing and add more CPU bound interactivity.”

The thing with Infinite is there's little about it that suggests to me this wasn't built for the XB1 with the view to scale it up for next-gen, rather than built for next-gen to scale down, at least the version they ended up revealing, which in itself appears to be quite different from whatever they were formulating between 2015 and 2018. That old rumour, if true of course, about the single player targeting a 2019 and multiplayer in 2020 might add some weight to that being true (and perhaps the fact the SeriesX patch was due at a later date even more so).

While I agree it'd probably be a good idea, I'm wondering how much they can realistically do if they scrap the XB1 version as while MS are willing to delay it, there's obviously going to be a limit on how long they're willing to tolerate delaying it for, and one would assume Spring (or early summer at the latest) is what 343 are having to target. Is that long enough? I don't know.  

So, do we think that he’s going to do a top-down rethinking of the game, or simply try to fix the issues with the current version? If Microsoft still wants the game out next year, how much could realistically change at this late stage without crunching everyone at 343 to death?

9 hours ago, JFo said:

So, do we think that he’s going to do a top-down rethinking of the game, or simply try to fix the issues with the current version? If Microsoft still wants the game out next year, how much could realistically change at this late stage without crunching everyone at 343 to death?

Not a chance of major top down rethink. He's there to get it shipped, and to get some good PR too, if you want to be really cynical.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Now coming “Fall 2021.

EDIT: Looks like Dan beat me to it!

Joseph Staten for Halo Waypoint:

After Reach shipped, I became a Halo fan, cheering-on 343i from the sidelines. But I’ve spent the last four months immersing myself back into the Halo universe, and it’s my honor as creative director to help our team ship Halo Infinite in Fall 2021.

Yep, that’s when the game is coming out. And from now until then, every one of us at 343i and our great partner teams will be building, testing, and polishing an experience we hope all of you love.

I’m not surprised. It looked like the game needed more than a few months in the oven to meet people’s expectations for a next gen title. I wonder if Microsoft is still planning on doing the Xbox One release.