LCVG

Halo Infinite [Xbox/PC]

Romier S

7 minutes ago, JFo said:

Now coming “Fall 2021.

EDIT: Looks like Dan beat me to it!

Joseph Staten for Halo Waypoint:

I’m not surprised. It looked like the game needed more than a few months in the oven to meet people’s expectations for a next gen title. I wonder if Microsoft is still planning on doing the Xbox One release.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t as the core of the game is likely the same. Though, I have no doubt we’ll see a better showing down the line and any notion of waiting on a ray tracing patch is dead and buried. The next time they show it, RT and a lot of other next gen bells and whistles will be on display.

• 6 months later...

I can’t tell if this looks better than it did last year. I’m still down for it — especially since it’s coming to Game Pass — but I wonder what the collective internet response will be to today’s showing.

Just now, JFo said:

I can’t tell if this looks better than it did last year. I’m still down for it — especially since it’s coming to Game Pass — but I wonder what the collective internet response will be to today’s showing.

It left me all utterly disinterested. I don't play Halo for multiplayer and the single player showing was paltry, frankly. I expected more after the botched showing the last time.

Yes, sadly it just doesn't look any more compelling than 4 and Guardians, which is to say not very compelling at all. I'll try and hope for the best though. Maybe they're deliberately playing it down right now following the hype last year and the misfire that was its actual reveal. The core emphasis there was the multiplayer too, which many of us have moved on from because we're ancient, so we're still kind of in the dark as far as the campaign is concerned.

I will say that I feel confident that Xbox doesn't really need Halo anymore were it finally time to put the series to rest however. I've seen enough from MS now and the studios they have acquired to leave me confident of that. There's still a part of me that would love to see the series hit another 3 or Reach like high though.

I think it helps that it's on gamepass, and if you think of it as another season of a streaming show then the campaign will probably have some decent moments.  I don't remember much about the Halo 5 story though, so I might need to refresh that before infinite finally comes out. 

The f2p multiplayer is probably a move they had to make given the market.  I really wonder if it'll move the needle though-will it make new people care about Halo? 

I was disappointed. I didn’t see anything here that made this a must play for me, someone who is not a hardcore Halo person. But Halo fans seemed happy, so that’s good for them, it just doesn’t look like something that will get me on board.

Game looks like a Halo game, is technically competent (plenty of detail, smooth) and is as liberal with modes and mixture of both on-foot and vehicle combat as you’d hope. Anyone spooked that their new Halo wouldn’t be Halo should be reassured, and that seems to have been their bar. 

A large part of me admires their decision to stick with well-lit open areas that make for good clarity on targets instead of slathering it in a tonne of grey grime like every “realistic” modern shooter. And let’s face it, if you don’t like it there are plenty of other options. 

Yes, it would have been great to see more single player - but I wouldn’t be surprised if that isn’t seeing a lot of work that they don’t want to show right now.