LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - February 2020 release date

Damn, this looks so good. I loved the teaser trailer from last year. I was very happy to finally see some gameplay footage at the Microsoft E3 presser.

Boo-urns on the 2019 release date though. 

I’m happy we finally have an actual release date, but man, I was really hoping to play this in 2019. The only thing holding me over right now is the fact that you can get the trailer music at Gareth Coker’s Bandcamp page. The same is true for the music from E3 2017 and 2018 in case you’re interested.

Also, when I look at this trailer, I think to myself, How the hell do people expect this to run on a Nintendo Switch (as there is a lot of rumors and speculation that this game and the first one will be ported to it at some point)? Just because it’s 2D doesn’t mean that a lot isn’t going on under the hood. This game is using all the brawn of the Xbox One to look as good as it does.

I suppose if a port of Doom Eternal is possible a port of this would be too, but it would probably be scaled down quite a bit to even run at 30fps instead of the target 60fps on Xbox One and PC.

Gone gold!

Six weeks from today! I cannot wait to get my hands on this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Damn, this game. Doom Eternal. Last of Us 2.  Three sequels to 3 of my favorite games from the last 5 years, in a short time frame.

It's going to be a good year.:)

Saying all the right things.  Had to wipe off my monitor.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n40668/ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-release-date

"When we shipped Blind Forest, Moon Studios was still a fairly scrappy studio and the game was made by only 10-15 people", he said. "For Will of the Wisps, we had 3-4 times the amount of people working on it and some of the best talent in the industry joined in this time around too. The proof is in the pudding, we'll have to wait for press and gamers to throw in their final verdict, but I'm pretty confident in what we built, especially given our recent playtests. It took us another 4+ years to build this game, it was damn hard, but I hope you'll all agree that all the labor was well worth it." He has big hopes for the sequel's impact, saying, "I said very early on that our goal has always been for Will of the Wisps to become to Blind Forest what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to Super Mario Bros. 1 - We kept the core of Blind Forest alive, but tried to ship a much fuller experience this time around. I hope people will agree that it's a sequel similar to the ones Nintendo shipped in the past, Zelda 1 going to Zelda 3, etc. - Same core gameplay, but massively improved all around."

• Like 2

I have to decide whether I'm gonna play this game on my PC, using an Xbox One controller or a PS4 controller... Thoughts? Because I've been using an Xbox 360 controller and think it is time to use a controller with a better D pad. 

6 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I have to decide whether I'm gonna play this game on my PC, using an Xbox One controller or a PS4 controller... Thoughts? Because I've been using an Xbox 360 controller and think it is time to use a controller with a better D pad. 

Definitely the Xbox One controller.

• Like 1

Keith: “Okay, babe, what’ll it be? Xbox or PlayStation? Or, if we want to get really kinky, I can get an old Nintendo controller out”

Keith’s wife: “I have a headache.”

Lots of previews went up for this game this morning. I haven't had a chance to read through them all yet, but I liked this bit from Eurogamer's article:

It's a sequel in the old-fashioned sense, one that's bigger, better and fixes so many of the gripes people had with the original. What's really fascinating about it, though, is how it's elevated the Metroidvania form to what looks and plays like a triple-A production, where the skill-trees branch off in new and exciting directions, where the sidequests are plentiful and where there's just oh-so-much game to get through. It's fascinating to see what's possible when the might of Microsoft is behind a Metroidvania like this, and it's not difficult to imagine we'll be seeing more Ori in the future as it becomes one of Xbox's staples - even if they're being understandably coy about any further instalments.

Also from the article: "It feels sublime."

PC Gamer just gets it all out in the headline:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps' sublime platforming sets a new bar for metroidvanias

Wes Fenlon:

The two things that set Ori apart from other Metroidvania games are the movement and the presentation. Ori is half acrobat, half lightning. Moving in Hollow Knight, another Metroid-inspired game I love, usually feels very deliberate, not heavy but tightly controlled. Controlling Ori doesn't have that deliberate feel, but it doesn't feel sloppy, either. It's fast and fluid, more expressionistic. It's light years ahead of the stiff movement of old Castlevanias.

Ori is the kind of game that provides joy simply from moving an analog stick back and forth and pressing a button. The flow, from one move to another, is sublime.

That word -- sublime -- seems to be a running theme here.

I know I'm gonna hit some impossibly frantic escape sequence, and I'll have to throw my controller through the window. Up until that point I'll have a great time I'm sure.

1 hour ago, JFo said:

PC Gamer just gets it all out in the headline:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps' sublime platforming sets a new bar for metroidvanias

Wes Fenlon:

That word -- sublime -- seems to be a running theme here.

My favorite Metroidvania games are:

1. Ori
  2. Dust
  3. Shadow Complex
  4. Hollow Knight
  5. Steamworld Dig 2

I played Shadow Complex after a long drought of not having played Metroidvania games. So it might be inflated in my mind, similarly to how Super Metroid is inflated for being the first amazing Metroidvania game I played : )

At this point I think Ori is the best I've ever played, including Super Metroid.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Desperately hoping a Switch port happens sooner rather than later. A one year advance window for XB/PC would not be unreasonable though. 

I would think they'll push a Switch version at the same time they push DLC a year from now for Microsoft platforms.  For me I know that the Switch release got me thinking about this game again, and rolled nicely into my excitement for the sequel.

• Like 1

Well call me road kill and cook me for dinner.  I have PC gamepass, but I purchased Ori anyway not realizing it is free?  Idiot.  Whatever, I guess it wont kill me to purchase a game that I love and take my time with it.  Support the developer.

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Well call me road kill and cook me for dinner.  I have PC gamepass, but I purchased Ori anyway not realizing it is free?  Idiot.

Tell me you at least got the 20 percent discount for Game Pass games? Or did you buy it on Steam? You bought it on Steam, didn’t you?

On that note...

I didn’t know this until today, but Ori and the Will of the Wisps is launching five years to the day after Ori and the Blind Forest

Nevermind, I cancelled it.  I LOVE Ori and the Blind Forest. One of my favorite games.

But I only played it once. Owning it doesn't make sense if I'm never going to replay it.  Chances are, it might take me 2 months to play through it.  At $5 a month on the PC, it makes more sense to just pay for GAMEPASS. Which I'll probably keep doing anyway based on all the game it has.

Plus if there was some discount, I didn't get it. It costs $29.99 on Steam and I paid $29.99 from Microsoft.

The reviews are in:

https://www.vg247.com/2020/03/10/ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-review-scores-pc-xbox-one/

PCGamer is the most critical review.  Here are some of their highlights:

The new autosave system works fine most of the time, for instance, except sometimes when it doesn't save where I expect it to and I'm sent back a frustrating distance.

Other inconsistencies and quirks rankled me throughout Will of the Wisps. It's much bigger and more complex than the five-year-old Ori and the Blind Forest, and, perhaps as a result, it's a messier blend of combat and platforming—amazing fun at times, and gorgeous all over, but sloppy.

The simple combat of Ori and the Blind Forest has become more complex, but not much fun. Enemies easily charge through Ori's light sword combos—hits don't interrupt them—and so I had to squint past my swings to gauge when I should leap out of the way. It can be a headache given how small Ori is, and how many bits of waving organic matter in the air and background provide visual interference.

The move-or-die escape scenes, in which you have to jump, dash, float, and grapple through collapsing structures while making zero mistakes—there are no checkpoints—are seriously annoying in places. There's a visually-confusing section near the end of one, and I had to replay the whole sequence several times to figure it out, letting myself die so that I could try to observe what I was meant to do. It's satisfying to clear these challenges, but in the same way it would be satisfying to stop punching yourself.

I prefer Ori and the Blind Forest for its compactness and simplicity, but Ori and the Will of the Wisps is also worth playing to the end. It trips over its complexity at times, and really doesn't need so much combat, but it's gorgeous, funny, and the triple-jumping could go on forever without getting old.

All of these criticisms seem applicable to me personally. He also suggests playing on easy. Damn, do I play on easy, or normal then? I had a lot of frustrated moments in the first one. I doubt difficulty level matters in the escape sequences where you have to play perfectly.