LCVG

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - February 2020 release date

I went back into this game today to see how much of a difference this patch makes on my Xbox One X. I already beat the game around the end of March, but I decided to go back and try to find all the collectables I missed and complete the rest of the side quests. Here’s what I found.

First off, performance does seem to be improved. We’ll need someone with the right equipment to do that frame rate analysis test, but I do think it’s better. By no means is it perfect, though. There are still drops and stutters here and there, but overall, it’s much smoother to my eyes than it was before.

Also, the map and subscreen menus now load much faster than before. You no longer need to wait a second or two for it to appear. You hit the button and it shows up, just as you would expect. It’s so nice to have this fixed. The game just feels so much snappier and pleasurable to play as a result.

Also, I had run into the issue where certain Achievements didn’t unlock, even though I completed the requirements to unlock them. As soon as I loaded up my save file, the Achievements unlocked as they should have.

The patch notes say that there is now a scaling resolution option, but I didn’t see any such option in the menus. Maybe this is a PC-only feature? I did notice the new scaling motion blur and Dynamic HUD menus though. I tried the Dynamic HUD and didn’t like it. I promptly set it back to “Always On.” I also turned the motion blur to 0, just to piss off John from DF.

Overall, this is a good update that goes a long way to fixing a lot of the technical shortcomings of the game at launch. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the game now to new players coming in — at least on Xbox One.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

John at Digital Foundry has a pretty technical deep dive into how Moon Studios brought Ori and the Will of the Wisps to Switch.     I think a lot of folks assume that 2D games

I didn't realize how massive the collector's edition would be. The packaging is extremely heavy-duty; even after removing the artbook and steelbook, it still weighs a good bit. With The Blind Forest f

Posted Images

Okay, I don’t usually get too invested in 100% completing a game, but this is kind of frustrating.

A06EAB3B-314B-4B3D-B0A9-A7613318EA33.thumb.jpeg.8a646c9eecd598aa9d555259316bd5d1.jpeg

The only thing I have left to do is 100% complete Baur’s Reach. To do that, I need to fill in the map completely and find all the collectables. As far as I can tell, I’ve done both. No more collectables appear on my map (I unlocked the ability to see all the secrets) and every part of the map is colored in, suggesting I’ve been everywhere there is to go. Unless there is something obvious I’m missing, I’m completely at a loss for what I need to do.

8 hours ago, JFo said:

Okay, I don’t usually get too invested in 100% completing a game, but this is kind of frustrating.

A06EAB3B-314B-4B3D-B0A9-A7613318EA33.thumb.jpeg.8a646c9eecd598aa9d555259316bd5d1.jpeg

The only thing I have left to do is 100% complete Baur’s Reach. To do that, I need to fill in the map completely and find all the collectables. As far as I can tell, I’ve done both. No more collectables appear on my map (I unlocked the ability to see all the secrets) and every part of the map is colored in, suggesting I’ve been everywhere there is to go. Unless there is something obvious I’m missing, I’m completely at a loss for what I need to do.

Wow, it's like all of your efforts were a complete waste of time. I  have a few ideas.

1. Perhaps at night, when you have nothing else on your mind, while you're in bed, you can backtrack through the entire experience over and over until you figure it out.
  2. Or maybe it is a bug, and the only way to fix it is to play the entire game over from the beginning. Fresh with the patch.
  3. Or maybe you should buy the game for a different platform and see if the bug is isolated to that platform. 
  4. It could be day-related. Like you have to play through the game entirely on Wednesday. Or Sunday. All in one day. Try that.
  5. Maybe, wait, did you wash your hands before playing the game every time?

9 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Wow, it's like all of your efforts were a complete waste of time. I  have a few ideas.

1. Perhaps at night, when you have nothing else on your mind, while you're in bed, you can backtrack through the entire experience over and over until you figure it out.
  2. Or maybe it is a bug, and the only way to fix it is to play the entire game over from the beginning. Fresh with the patch.
  3. Or maybe you should buy the game for a different platform and see if the bug is isolated to that platform. 
  4. It could be day-related. Like you have to play through the game entirely on Wednesday. Or Sunday. All in one day. Try that.
  5. Maybe, wait, did you wash your hands before playing the game every time?

No cheese grater?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AlbertA said:

No cheese grater?

Here’s the thing: Even if I did get 100% on my save file, it would still not count as “completing” the game from a completionist standpoint. To do that, I’d have to also earn all the Achievements. That would include the following:

• Beating the game on Hard difficulty
  • Beating it in under 4 hours
  • Successfully completing a deathless run

I could see myself doing the first one at some point. The other two can fuck right off.

• Haha 1

I started playing after the perf/bug patch on the Xbox One X, but I still see bugs in the game. The first is just loading the game - takes forever to get to the loading screen - and occasionally it just displays the background - no start game option, nothing - doesn't respond to button input - I have to quit and restart.

Occasionally, specially with many enemies on screen, the sound stutters and you get a sort of annoying metallic effect and drop outs. Also there are still performance drops here and there specially around parts with water effects or around boss fights. 

The game is gorgeous and the music is fantastic - I find myself whistling the themes after a play session. I'm about halfway done - I did get stuck in the beginning until I figured out

Spoiler

you can redirect projectiles and break walls

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John at Digital Foundry has a pretty technical deep dive into how Moon Studios brought Ori and the Will of the Wisps to Switch.

I think a lot of folks assume that 2D games like this are easy to make and lack the technical prowess of 3D games, so they should be easy to port to a less powerful platform like Switch. This video makes a solid argument that that’s not the case.

I wonder if the Series X/S patch will be available at the consoles’ launch. It would be a blast to replay this one.

• Like 2