LCVG

Doom Eternal Announced - Next Gen Upgrade out now on PS5/Xbox

Romier S

I didn’t practice.  But I did download the DLC and played through the first mission (UAC Atalantica).  I was (and am) out of practice, so this really beat my ass.  The waves of enemies feels about 40% longer, and some of the arenas are little less forgiving.  To really toss a dagger in there, the first time you fight a Marauder, it’s in a fucking shoebox.  I died a lot.  Yes, you deal with two later, but that is in a big area.  The tight quarters fight was a lot tricker.

As with Eternal, this is a beautiful game, with art direction to kill for.  I got it as Part of the Deluxe Digital release, but these levels are worth playing.  All new environments, new cutscenes, good stuff.

But pull up your boots, ‘cause they bring the thunder from the jump.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Next Generation upgrade announced for PS5/Xbox and releasing June 29th:

Next-Gen Update Features Breakdown
Xbox Series X

• Performance Mode: 1800p – 120 FPS
  • Balanced Mode: 2160p – 60 FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode: 1800p – 60 FPS

Xbox Series S

• Performance Mode: 1080p – 120 FPS
  • Balanced Mode: 1440p – 60 FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode: Not Available

PlayStation 5

• Performance Mode: 1584p – 120 FPS
  • Balanced Mode: 2160p – 60 FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode: 1800p – 60 FPS

PC

Ray Tracing Mode: Availability and performance depends on a user’s PC hardware.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Romier S changed the title to Doom Eternal Announced - Next Gen Upgrade out now on PS5/Xbox

I started a replay of Doom Eternal with RT + DLSS and it looks great and plays smoothly so I have no complaints 😊 but it’s SO fast paced that I’m not sure you’d really notice any of it heh. On the 3060Ti I get a solid 56-60fps at 4K even in busy sections (only time it drops to 56) with all settings at high and DLSS on quality. It already played fast on this card but it basically lost no performance and gained RT so win-win. 

On 6/29/2021 at 8:17 PM, Paul said:

That…sounds like a good excuse.

I’ll subscribe to Gamepass to play Psychonauts, but even then I’d be playing Doom on a One S, so I’d think I’d wait. 

Just started this on SeriesX, and went RT, since it still promised 60fps.  It seems like it's stuttered a couple of times, but for the most part it's rock solid.  You can toggle anytime (without relaunching), so it's easy to see some of the differences when you can stop and actually look at the game, which admittedly isn't often. 

It has reiterated that I suck at doom though.