LCVG
Romier S

The Last of Us II - 2 Discs, Releasing June 19th, 2020

I’ 14.5 hours in — definitely at the halfway point now. I can only imagine where the fuck this story is going.

6 hours ago, foogledricks said:

It is concerning that people are saying the game isn't fun. Because that's why I play games. Reminds me of when people review a movie, say it is a good movie, but it wasn't enjoyable to watch. I don't watch movies that aren't enjoyable to watch. So I'm trying to parse why people are saying this about TLOU2. Are they saying that it is so emotionally engaging, like a good thriller, that it is exhausting? If that's the case, that sounds like a success to me. Engaging people emotionally is the name of the game. But if they're saying something else, I'm a little worried.

I got to play this a bunch of Father’s Day. People kept texting me and wishing me a nice, relaxing day, but I kept thinking, How am I supposed to have a relaxing day if I keep playing this game?

34 minutes ago, JFo said:

I got to play this a bunch of Father’s Day. People kept texting me and wishing me a nice, relaxing day, but I kept thinking, How am I supposed to have a relaxing day if I keep playing this game?

Masturbation?

3 hours ago, JFo said:

I’ 14.5 hours in — definitely at the halfway point now. I can only imagine where the fuck this story is going.

The gear change that happens midway through is the most contentious issue I'm seeing from folks online. The range of opinions are pretty great to read even if I disagree with them at times. It's also interesting to see the visceral reaction to it specifically because of how much your view of it will change as the game progresses. 

Post Seattle Day 3 early spoilers:

I'll just reiterate and expand on my view that when the game switches to Abby, I was a hard no on it. I didn't give a shit about her and I wasn't terribly interested in knowing more. Much less considering the game switches to her right when the game seems to be reaching its climax! I found it interesting to see the WLF headquarters at the stadium and what not but fundamentally, I thought it was a flashback until you start picking up pills to upgrade her and the realization sets in that you're now playing a completely new game from an entirely different perspective. It was seriously off-putting. Again, it took me well into that initial Day 1 chapter to warm to it and it wasn't until Lev/Yara are introduced that I bought in and then you can't help but get invested.

Looking back on it having completed the game, Abby's half of the game is the strongest from a gameplay perspective. She owns some of the most amazing sequences that I can't get into cause I don't want to spoil them. It's also pretty fantastic that she plays the "Joel" role as the brawler/power character. 

There is a method and reason for it all and it doesn't 100% pay off until you reach the finale. Even Ellie's part of the story isn't complete until that last (incredible) scene plays out.

Christ, I beat it last night and I'm in the middle of a work day and I'm still thinking about that last scene.

Also, the notion that the game (early spoilers)

disrespects Joel by making him a victim to a supposed secondary character is so utterly misguided and its apparent its coming from people that haven't played the game at all and read the leaks. In many ways, this is Joel's game despite Ellie being the character you control. His decision at the end of the first game drives EVERYTHING that happens in this game. His presence is felt at every damned turn. 

It also ignores the pains the game goes through to flesh Abby out as more than just a caricature villain.

Post game spoilers:

I was wrong, too. The E3 demo sequence with the dance *IS* in the game and its even more poignant when its put in context. Specifically with what happens right after the kiss.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Good HDR overview....

I posted that earlier...Saturday in fact :)

parks and red sigh GIF

repost GIF

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, foogledricks said:

This is interesting. A really key story-telling and acting tenant is motivational clarity. That doesn't translate well to videogames, because there is a disconnect between the narrative and the "play" - this is why I generally don't care about story telling in games. Is Naughty Dog blurring the lines and people don't like how it makes them feel.

Yes, the first game did that too...  I remember saying as much (maybe not here) to some friends, where the gameplay was in sync with the story (killing for survival made sense) unlike say Bioshock Infinite at the time.

55 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

I posted that earlier...Saturday in fact :)

parks and red sigh GIF

repost GIF

I only saw it online today so it doesn’t count.

zGHQb4O.gif

• Haha 1

Nice moves. I got wrecked last night by a bloater, sheesh. Gave up on it after a bunch of tries. 

I finished the game, 

4dc.gif

I truly enjoyed it  - gameplay wise, it's a refined version of the first - the addition of crawling, grass cover, hiding/crawling under some things really adds to the gameplay. The AI is so much better, every battle is always tense.

Story wise I loved it as well

Spoiler

The selfishness of Joel's choice is really explored here - and coincidentally I already had thoughts along this line - He murdered a bunch of people, prevented a possible cure so he could save a kid that was not even given a choice? The consequences of that choice are explored in this game like Romier said.

I had no issues playing as Abby, from the very first moment - so the divisiveness over this is lost on me. I like the huge chunk of time dedicated to explore "the other sides". 

Gameplay wise, Abby ends up with way cooler weapons.

All the violence is brutal l but I think that drives the point home of what each and every person in the game universe is capable of. I don't think it would have the same weight if they took it out. I agree with the opinion that it makes you feel like a psychopath - yes - and I think that's the point.

Also just when I thought I was getting to the end of the game - nope - easily another 3 hours of game left.

I was satisfied with the ending - it made sense to me - no reward comes from revenge.

This is the first game I've played where they get the guitar animations right!  And Joel has good taste on guitars (Taylor :) )

Have you seen the models in the extras menu? The amount of detail is incredible:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dan B. said:

Nice moves. I got wrecked last night by a bloater, sheesh. Gave up on it after a bunch of tries. 

They've significantly beefed them up in the sequel, yes. Shotgun fire blasts and explosives are your friend. They've made them extraordinarily fast now which just makes it a bitch to deal with them since they can make up ground really fast.

@AlbertAthe models are insane, yes! Absolutely love zooming in and checking out all of the details. 

On the ending...

I was literally like "Oh god, Ellie what are you doing!?" when she decides to leave the farm. Then to have a whole other section of the game in Santa Barbara was really a surprise. The final fight with an emaciated Abby after months of captivity was perfection.

Also, the last scene with Joel got me, bro. It got me real bad lol. When he chokes up after Ellie resolves to make up....

DChG.gif

Abby in addition to having awesome weapons, also gets the Sky Bridge and Descent chapters which to me are the best in the game. The Descent in particular is the best horror content in a game for a very very long time. 

Also, did you notice that the new title screen is Abby and Lev's boat having arrived in Catalina? i.e. they're finding the new Fireflies...

27 minutes ago, Romier S said:

@AlbertAthe models are insane, yes! Absolutely love zooming in and checking out all of the details. 

The monster models are absolutely disgusting - in a good way.

Spoiler

Since I spent most of the time running from the Rat King, I didn't have time to appreciate the "art" of the model. It's nice to be able to see all the grossness.

27 minutes ago, Romier S said:

On the ending...

Hide contents

I was literally like "Oh god, Ellie what are you doing!?" when she decides to leave the farm. Then to have a whole other section of the game in Santa Barbara was really a surprise. The final fight with an emaciated Abby after months of captivity was perfection.

Also, the last scene with Joel got me, bro. It got me real bad lol. When he chokes up after Ellie resolves to make up....

DChG.gif

Abby in addition to having awesome weapons, also gets the Sky Bridge and Descent chapters which to me are the best in the game. The Descent in particular is the best horror content in a game for a very very long time. 

Also, did you notice that the new title screen is Abby and Lev's bought having arrived in Catalina? i.e. they're finding the new Fireflies...

Spoiler

Yeah, Ellie just couldn't shake the feeling - and I mean that's all she's known for her formative years. In the end, it seems she finally could let it go unlike Tommy - though that last fight was pretty brutal.

The emaciated Abby and how she was found was a great way for them to meet. This reminds me, a point in a review which I didn't think about... where did Abby get all the protein from to be so buff? Maybe dogs :)

The Joel and Ellie scene - yeah! Especially if you are parent and you've fucked up you totally know that feeling - maybe not at the level of Joel's choices but still :)

The boat in the screen - Oh wow I did not realize this... huh.

23 minutes ago, Romier S said:

They've significantly beefed them up in the sequel, yes. Shotgun fire blasts and explosives are your friend. They've made them extraordinarily fast now which just makes it a bitch to deal with them since they can make up ground really fast. 

Yeah, I used what little shotgun ammo I had (and one explosive) Survivor can be stingy with ammo. It’s the one at

the arcade.

Will give it a go again tonight. 

7 minutes ago, Dan B. said:

Yeah, I used what little shotgun ammo I had (and one explosive) Survivor can be stingy with ammo. It’s the one at

Hide contents

the arcade.

Will give it a go again tonight. 

Yeah that's a great fight. 

The runners are the thing that makes it more difficult. It's one thing if it was just the damned bloater! Sub Molotovs in if you have them. One should shed plenty of his health. Handgun ammo to the face helps, too. Especially from the revolver.

@AlbertA

On Tommy, I would say..

He was willing to let it go up until Abby shot him in the face. The Tommy at the end of the game on the farm is a man who lost everything and just doesn't have the physical ability to pursue his own obsession like Ellie does so he pushes her to do it. It sucked to see him like that since he was one of the most sensible characters up to that point. He wanted revenge for Joel but not at the expense of everything. Once Maria was gone, that's pretty much all he had left. Another mirror for Ellie.

I would hate to see the conversation between he and Ellie if she goes back to Jackson looking for Dina.:/

4 hours ago, AlbertA said:

I finished the game, 

On 6/22/2020 at 11:47 PM, Romier S said:

Done.

You shitheads.

Spoiler

Seattle — Day 3 here. 20 hours in.

I don’t know if it’s possible, but I want to finish this before the weekend. My family is out of town starting Friday night. I won’t be back until Sunday. Maybe I should sneak the PS4 Pro in my suitcase. 😀

• Like 1

Watching Twitch.tv/sheriffeli  play this game now.   He turn the morose into a laugh riot.

Carlos.

On 6/20/2020 at 10:19 PM, Romier S said:

Oh and Naught Dog really (early big event spoiler that triggers the quest)

Reveal hidden contents

swerved everyone with the trailers. The whole “you didn’t think I’d let you do this alone” bit is not Joel in the actual game. Cheeky bastards.

Yeah, I don’t have a problem with this. I saw a review though and some comments where people felt they were lied to and they acted as if that affected their overall experience with the game. I don’t really understand that thinking. It really seemed like an over reaction. Hell, Marvel has been doing it for a few years now. As for the event, it’s weird because it is what I ended up fully expecting once I got to

Spoiler

the horde

I even stopped for a while after 

Spoiler

taking control of Ellie again

just because I did not want to see it happen. 

I am just starting Seattle Day 1. Fortunately, I have managed to stay away from all spoilers so far. But I got to say, I am not looking forward to having to kill any dogs. I really wish they hadn’t made that gameplay.

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

@JFo
Did you just start Day 3?

Spoiler

Santa Monica. Time for bed. 

6 minutes ago, JFo said:
  Hide contents

Santa Monica. Time for bed. 

You’re sooooo close though.:)

Literally another hour or two.

On 6/21/2020 at 6:51 PM, Starhawk said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but you can totally crack these safes if you have headphones on. 

After you pointed this out I tried it without headphones - yep it worked 

• Like 1

Spoilercast with Neil, Troy and Ashley for those that finished the game. I wish Laura Bailey (Abby) was there, too!

• Like 1

I have a total crush on Ashley Johnson.

She's amazing.

EDIT: That spoilercast is a /great/ discussion on the intentions behind some of the choices in the game.