LCVG

The Last of Us II - 2 Discs, Releasing June 19th, 2020

HA!

Spoiler

Naughty Dog: Ellie is the Only Playable Character in The Last of Us Part II

Mufaddal Fakhruddin, writing for IGN back in 2018:

During a behind closed door session which featured multiple developers from the game, when asked if there will be other playable characters other than Ellie, co-lead game designer, Richard Cambier, pitched in with the standard, “We aren’t saying anything about that yet.”

But it was creative director Neil Druckmann who took a moment before saying that, “Ellie is the only playable character in the game.”

Now, this seems like a pretty big revelation to make, and that too so candidly, at such an early stage of the game’s unveiling. Unless this is a misdirection to lead fans into believing something else while surprising us with the final game. Naughty Dog have done it before with The Last of Us, and so such a move might not be out of the question this time.

Don't trust Neil Druckman, I guess.

Props though to the writer, who sniffed out his "misdirection" right away.

Oh, and DONE! 🙂 I can finally read spoilers!

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well what are you waiting for? A pandemic or something?

Summary courtesy of a resetera post: New traversal and prone move-sets. Combat has increased emphasis on tension, interactivity and realism. Enemy AI references each other by name,

Finished my New Game Plus collectibles run making LoU2 my 12th Platinum’d game.

Posted Images

I’ve been thinking about this game all day having finished it. I’m trying to collect my thoughts in order to share them at a later date. Right now they’re a jumbled mess— too much to say with no structure to pull it all together in a cohesive way.

I will say this however: I liked the choices Naughty Dog made overall. There are a lot of things that fans of the original are apparently mad about, but those things usually worked for me.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:31 PM, Romier S said:

Also, the notion that the game (early spoilers)

Spoiler

disrespects Joel by making him a victim to a supposed secondary character is so utterly misguided and its apparent its coming from people that haven't played the game at all and read the leaks. In many ways, this is Joel's game despite Ellie being the character you control. His decision at the end of the first game drives EVERYTHING that happens in this game. His presence is felt at every damned turn. 

It also ignores the pains the game goes through to flesh Abby out as more than just a caricature villain.

Here’s my take on this.

Spoiler

I don’t think the folks review bombing this game or posting angry screeds to YouTube are upset because it was a “secondary character” that killed Joel or anything like that. I think they’re pissed because a woman killed him. If the roles had been reversed and it was Ellie who was killed and Joel setting out on a quest for vengence, these same assholes would love it. They would never say anything about the character of Ellie being disrespected. They would just accept it and go along for the ride because its what they want, expect, and are used to.

Fuck those shit heads. They don’t deserve a game this good. 

The Last of Us Part II sells more than 4 million copies

Eric Lempel, writing for the PlayStation Blog:

We’re delighted to report that The Last of Us Part II is now the fastest-selling first-party PS4 exclusive ever with more than 4 million copies sold through as of June 21. This milestone would not have been reached without the support from our amazing fans, so on behalf of everyone at SIE, thank you!

The post includes a statement from Neil Druckman:

We are so immensely grateful to the millions of fans around the world that have played The Last of Us Part II and shared their experiences with us over the last week. We set out to tell a new kind of story, one that deals with difficult themes and would challenge you in unexpected ways. Hearing how the experience has resonated with so many of you and witnessing the type of thoughtful discussions it has sparked has been so incredible. We’ve also been so inspired by your creativity — whether it’s your gorgeous Photo Mode shots, jaw-dropping gameplay GIFs, or the songs you’ve recorded using Ellie’s guitar.

The Last of Us Part II was made possible thanks to the efforts of the hundreds of talented and passionate developers here at Naughty Dog. We can imagine no greater honor than seeing that same passion mirrored by the people playing it. Thank you for helping us reach this amazing milestone.

Not surprising, but I'm still happy to see it doing well.

7 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I would love to hear a post-finish assessment of whether you guys like part II more or less than part I.

I'm not quite finished yet, but I would say from a gameplay-perspective that it is much better.  It feels more natural to the environments and how you interact with them.  From what I've witnessed story wise it will be interesting how the story ultimately wraps up.  Every character has a great deal of motivation.  The over-arching narrative feels a lot more personal and more focused than the first game.  But again, I have yet to finish to see if the conclusion is satisfying.  I suspect I'll have it done this weekend, maybe.

I just started...

Spoiler

Abby's Day 1 and I am about to meet Isaac at HQ.

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

I'm not quite finished yet, but I would say from a gameplay-perspective that it is much better. 

I'm glad for this as I always thought the gameplay was more of a B+ and it was the story and atmosphere that elevated the game to an A.

I'd agree with @Eldorado. I don't think there's any question whatsoever that from a gameplay perspective, this game is absolutely better than the first. Encounter design, enemy AI, ally AI, all of it. It's all just flat out better.

Story? Pacing? That's going to take time for me. I don't want to knee jerk react to this and in general to a lot of games I finish because its really easy to feel amazing about a great game but then come down and start to see its flaws more easily. I've had 7 years to allow the first game to digest and to find its place in my mind/heart. I'm not saying I need another 7 to place this one but I'm not ready to compare/rank it just yet. 

I can tell you that I absolutely loved it. It's an amazing experience and I still think about the last confrontation and the last flashback scene in the game and marvel at the place where the medium has arrived in realizing/capturing real performances and doing them full justice. 

And complete. 

Spoiler

There are not a lot of people making great decisions throughout the game. But I guess that goes hand-in-hand with doing anything to keep those you love safe, or avenging them the only way you can.  And how those decisions can lead to repercussions far down the road. Like if Ellie had killed Abby, Liev likely would have just repeated the cycle again.  

But the whole cycle begins with Joel’s love for Ellie and his unwillingness to accept her death, regardless of who it could have helped.  Should Ellie have been allowed to make that decision?  Maybe, but the Fireflies weren’t honest and upfront about what would happen to Ellie.  And that was a huge turning point for so many lives that were lost.  

If Ellie and Joel had an opportunity to discuss what the outcome would have been would Joel have been able to accept that?  I don’t know.  Saying goodbye is a huge thing and the Fireflies were going to rob Joel, and Ellie, of that.  So they hold a huge amount of blame, especially Abby’s dad, for the events of the game. Even if they weren’t the primary actors carrying forth the carnage. 

Ellie was upset with Joel for not letting her life have meaning, but she obviously couldn’t see her future to see what kind of meaning her life would have.  

I mentioned something similar is an earlier spoiler....

Jerry and Marlene are just as culpable in not letting Ellie make the decision and even when he’s confronted with the idea of it being his own daughter, he can’t manage to answer the question. Abby takes it out of his hands by saying she would die for the cause but he would never actually sacrifice her yet he expects Joel/Marlene to do the same without question. I can’t blame him but it’s cowardice to not put the choice in front of Ellie.

The fundamental question is whether Ellie would have the made the right choice for herself? To your point, she doesn’t know what her future will be and even in the first game Ellie is suffering from survivors guilt that goes back to the “Left Behind” expansion with Riley. That follows through in the sequel. She’s still suffering from survivors guilt in thinking that she doesn’t deserve Dina (and that perfect life) and that she continues living while Joel is gone. Add in a strong helping of PTSD from seeing Joel murdered and well, that’s a recipe for some serious shit to happen.

I think she would have absolutely chosen to go ahead with the procedure but would it have been because she truly felt it was the right thing or out of her sense of guilt? I don’t know.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

I mentioned something similar is an earlier spoiler....

Hide contents

Jerry and Marlene are just as culpable in not letting Ellie make the decision and even when he’s confronted with the idea of it being his own daughter, he can’t manage to answer the question. Abby takes it out of his hands by saying she would die for the cause but he would never actually sacrifice her yet he expects Joel/Marlene to do the same without question. I can’t blame him but it’s cowardice to not put the choice in front of Ellie.

The fundamental question is whether Ellie would have the made the right choice for herself? To your point, she doesn’t know what her future will be and even in the first game Ellie is suffering from survivors guilt that goes back to the “Left Behind” expansion with Riley. That follows through in the sequel. She’s still suffering from survivors guilt in thinking that she doesn’t deserve Dina (and that perfect life) and that she continues living while Joel is gone. Add in a strong helping of PTSD from seeing Joel murdered and well, that’s a recipe for some serious shit to happen.

I think she would have absolutely chosen to go ahead with the procedure but would it have been because she truly felt it was the right thing or out of her sense of guilt? I don’t know.

Just getting around to catching up on the spoilers. 

Spoiler

I don’t think Joel was disrespected at all. He befriended someone that needed help. And was then promptly betrayed. It makes perfect sense from a story telling perspective.  I also don’t think it’s fair to make loose judgements against the people that are upset about that story moment because of who we think those people might be.  

I was also not happy at all playing as Abby. But, it grew on me.  And I really came to appreciate the parallel between Abby and Liev and Joel and Ellie.  Abby grows as a character and it’s all because she takes a second to think about the situation.  

This game and it’s predecessor is all about reactions to situations and how some of those are split second decisions that can lead you down a path you never intended to take. 

I think it’s

completely fair to feel that way about Abby initially. I did too! No judgement from me in that regard. I even think it’s fair to not completely be onboard with the direction overall or to feel as though you maybe should have had some more agency in the story. However, I do think that if you’re reached the end of the game and you’re still frothing at the mouth to have Ellie murder Abby, you’ve utterly missed the entire point of the game and I don’t know what else to say there. 

I’ve also seen some folks say that the game makes Joel/Tommy soft/dumb for falling for Abby’s groups trap. Except it’s not a trap. It’s pure happenstance and finally both Tommy and Joel have been living in relative peace for five years in Jackson. They’ve actively brought people into the community, trade with people regularly and just got done saving Abby’s life. Hardly dumb for them to expect some level of trust there but I digress...

37 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I think it’s

Hide contents

completely fair to feel that way about Abby initially. I did too! No judgement from me in that regard. I even think it’s fair to not completely be onboard with the direction overall or to feel as though you maybe should have had some more agency in the story. However, I do think that if you’re reached the end of the game and you’re still frothing at the mouth to have Ellie murder Abby, you’ve utterly missed the entire point of the game and I don’t know what else to say there. 

I’ve also seen some folks say that the game makes Joel/Tommy soft/dumb for falling for Abby’s groups trap. Except it’s not a trap. It’s pure happenstance and finally both Tommy and Joel have been living in relative peace for five years in Jackson. They’ve actively brought people into the community, trade with people regularly and just got done saving Abby’s life. Hardly dumb for them to expect some level of trust there but I digress...

When I did finally make it to that point,

Spoiler

I wasn’t going to kill Abby.  I would dodge her punches, and hesitate before attacking her. And when she finally submitted I just stood there because I was no longer interested in her death. So I was relieved when Ellie came to the same conclusion. Even if the game was trying to make me think she would go through with it. 

@Romier S Everything you've written about TLOU I've agreed with 110% and looks like this is applying to Part II as well.

Spoiler

Totally with you on the Abby transition. Once I got to there, I suddenly felt disinterested in playing and really missed moving forward as Ellie. I saw the first title card I was like "Ugh, 3 days with this bitch" but then end up genuinely liking the character a great deal as you progress with her. Nowhere near the level of love for Ellie and Joel, but it's there. 

Still need time with it, but so far you and @Eldorado are on point.

Also...

Spoiler

The Last Jedi is not good 😆

45 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

No question this game is better than the first from a gameplay perspective. Some of the moments of combat come together so fluidly that you feel like a badass for pulling it off. The aiming  may be the best I have played in any game ever. 

I may have said so earlier but there is nothing better than getting knocked onto your back by a gunshot and going straight into a headshot on a nearby enemy from the prone position and then transitioning into a prone stealth ninja in the grass. Shit just /FEELS/ good. The irony in a game about the senselessness of violence.:spencer: