LCVG

The Last of Us II - 2 Discs, Releasing June 19th, 2020

4 hours ago, kelley said:

I’m almost done with the first game and downloaded this one last night. That’s my Father’s Day sorted. 

On a similar note, people keep telling me to have a relaxing Father’s Day, but I’ve been playing The Last of Us Part II all afternoon, and I’m not sure how relaxed I can be playing it.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well what are you waiting for? A pandemic or something?

Summary courtesy of a resetera post: New traversal and prone move-sets. Combat has increased emphasis on tension, interactivity and realism. Enemy AI references each other by name,

Finished my New Game Plus collectibles run making LoU2 my 12th Platinum’d game.

Posted Images

Yeah, I just....(post Ferris wheel spoilers)

Restarted Seattle Day 1 again as Abby now. Quite the swerve considering it’s a whole new game and it feels like your legit gonna spend real time with her and her group. The flashback to Joel having killed her father was well done. Great to see Marlene again and how conflicted she was about Ellie. 

Poor fucking Jessie, man.:( I literally let out a “No!” when Abby shot him and the camera panned down.

28 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Yeah, I just....(post Ferris wheel spoilers)

Hide contents

Restarted Seattle Day 1 again as Abby now. Quite the swerve considering it’s a whole new game and it feels like your legit gonna spend real time with her and her group. The flashback to Joel having killed her father was well done. Great to see Marlene again and how conflicted she was about Ellie. 

Poor fucking Jessie, man.:( I literally let out a “No!” when Abby shot him and the camera panned down.

I went to sleep right after that scene at 2:00 AM

Spoiler

I just love how the game is exploring how everyone has blood on their hands - and how it all was fueled by revenge.

And also how the “other sides” are just basically people that also do good.

I guess similar to the Walking dead in a sense but with better writing :)

It really gets at

the cost of Joel’s decision in the previous game. All of this is born out of his love for Ellie gone awry in the most selfish way. It was always easy to understand his choice. As a father of two girls, god I get it. It’s also easy to blame him but honestly? Marlene and Abby’s father are just as culpable. At no point did they stop to think that maybe, just maybe they could ask the 14 year old girl who’s gone through hell to reach them what she wanted? How she felt that the whole thing had to count for something. Abby even puts that choice right in her fathers face when she tells him she would have chosen to die. The cycle would likely have been broken right there.

28 minutes ago, Romier S said:

You lose any sensitivity about killing them real quick.;)

Yes! The encounter I’m in right now is the one from one of the first gameplay demos, and I remember some people being concerned wondering if you had kill any dogs in the game. If I’m not mistaken, Naughty Dog (probably just trying to appease those people) actually came out and said you didn’t.

Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

I mean, I’m sure it’s possible

And I friggin love dogs, so this is what I’m driven to.😅

The thing to do is you want to avoid killing them is to kill their owners. They will

begin to whimper and sniff at the body and then run towards the next human. Kill the humans and they will still attack but become more aimless so you can get around  them.

It’s a lot of work and avoidance and they will still try to chew your face off if you get too close so fuck them. They get the axe like everyone else.

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The thing to do is you want to avoid killing them is to kill their owners. They will

Reveal hidden contents

It’s a lot of work and avoidance and they will still try to chew your face off if you get too close so fuck them. They get the axe like everyone else.

I did manage that on one of the first ones I was around, and then noticed

Spoiler

Isolating the humans is till key because I was still alerting the other people. There were so many people in this one encounter. Challenging but fun. I just got past it  

Man, I’m just super impressed with...

how they’ve handled the follow through with Abby. I have to tell you that as soon as the game picks up with her after the flashback scene with her father, I didn’t want to play as her. Especially coming off of her murdering Jessie. I wanted to get back to Ellie and finish what she set out to do. I spent a portion of Seattle Day 2 with Abby disengaged from the game. I mean, I was playing it but it just didn’t “work”. Then you get captured and Lev and Yara are introduced and then she finds Owen and that whole thing happens and she goes back to rescue the kids. Somewhere in all of that, it just clicks and you start a giving a shit about this woman and her friends that murdered an absolutely beloved character.

The game isn’t subtle about what it’s trying to do but it executes so fucking well and it’s so damned well written that it succeeds. Though I can absolutely see how that switch over could be extremely divisive and some may not ever have it “work” for them. Its success depends highly on whether you’re willing to let the game takes you where it wants to go or not. Some folks won’t be able to let Joel go (and even that plays into the story!).

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Man, I’m just super impressed with...

Reveal hidden contents

how they’ve handled the follow through with Abby. I have to tell you that as soon as the game picks up with her after the flashback scene with her father, I didn’t want to play as her. Especially coming off of her murdering Jessie. I wanted to get back to Ellie and finish what she set out to do. I spent a portion of Seattle Day 2 with Abby disengaged from the game. I mean, I was playing it but it just didn’t “work”. Then you get captured and Lev and Yara are introduced and then she finds Owen and that whole thing happens and she goes back to rescue the kids. Somewhere in all of that, it just clicks and you start a giving a shit about this woman and her friends that murdered an absolutely beloved character.

The game isn’t subtle about what it’s trying to do but it executes so fucking well and it’s so damned well written that it succeeds. Though I can absolutely see how that switch over could be extremely divisive and some may not ever have it “work” for them. It’s success depends highly on whether you’re willing to let the game takes you where it wants to go or not. Some folks won’t be able to let Joel go (and even that plays into the story!).

That’s interesting 

Spoiler

I did not feel disengaged at all. By the point you start playing Abby I already felt Joel had massively fucked up. I got a bit of that at the end of the first game after I replayed this year, but they way it’s presented and explored here is superb.

I’m impressed by the amount of content - I played almost all day and I’m still not done with Abbys portion. Even after a big boss fight.

Im loving the alternate point of view over the same way timeline as Ellie’s play through - gives you so much more context.

9 minutes ago, Romier S said:

It goes nowhere I wanted it to go story wise and that’s the absolute best thing about it.

That seems to be a big problem for some people. I have not had a chance to  play it (to be honest, I still haven't finished the first one, and I definitely want to do that before starting 2 (I'm a bad person, I know))

I see the game getting positively annihilated in "The Last Jedi" fashion on MetaCritic.  Sad, because I like things that take me places I don't expect to go.  I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the game.

1 hour ago, Whooter said:

That seems to be a big problem for some people. I have not had a chance to  play it (to be honest, I still haven't finished the first one, and I definitely want to do that before starting 2 (I'm a bad person, I know))

I see the game getting positively annihilated in "The Last Jedi" fashion on MetaCritic.  Sad, because I like things that take me places I don't expect to go.  I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the game.

By people that read the leaks and haven’t played or finished the game whatsoever. It’s review bombed to shit and I couldn’t care less about internet trolls that have nothing better to do with their time then to spend it on Metacritic.

This isn’t a game seeking to subvert expectations. It has very specific story to tell. How it goes about telling it will be divisive and I understand the reasons why but if you go with it until the credits roll, the reward is immensely satisfying, emotional and resonant. I’m still thinking about the last chapter....the last scene. I’m 42 years old and I’m not ashamed to say I teared up. It’s everything I never knew I wanted after the first game.

PS: The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film since Empire. 

giphy.gif

Glad to hear some of your thoughts. The review bombing is interesting on this game, so I’ve been poking my head in here trying to see what the thoughts were without spoiling anything. 

(Thank you all for the liberal use of spoiler tags thus far BTW). 

Ive only played about 5 hours and my wife was asking me if it was fun. It was kind of a hard question to answer. TLOU is one of my favourite games ever, but I don’t know if I would consider it fun. 

She thought that was strange, but I think understood when I tried to explain it. 

It is concerning that people are saying the game isn't fun. Because that's why I play games. Reminds me of when people review a movie, say it is a good movie, but it wasn't enjoyable to watch. I don't watch movies that aren't enjoyable to watch. So I'm trying to parse why people are saying this about TLOU2. Are they saying that it is so emotionally engaging, like a good thriller, that it is exhausting? If that's the case, that sounds like a success to me. Engaging people emotionally is the name of the game. But if they're saying something else, I'm a little worried.

3 hours ago, foogledricks said:

It is concerning that people are saying the game isn't fun. Because that's why I play games. Reminds me of when people review a movie, say it is a good movie, but it wasn't enjoyable to watch. I don't watch movies that aren't enjoyable to watch. So I'm trying to parse why people are saying this about TLOU2. Are they saying that it is so emotionally engaging, like a good thriller, that it is exhausting? If that's the case, that sounds like a success to me. Engaging people emotionally is the name of the game. But if they're saying something else, I'm a little worried.

The general gameplay loop here is an extremely polished and evolved version of the one found in the first game. It's fun in the sense that there is a "power trip" element to hunting down and murdering those that are trying to kill you. Its pretty fucking amazing to go prone, draw your silenced weapon while on your back and pull off headshots while you slink back into the grass to move to the next target. "Fun" may not be the right word. It's engaging both emotionally and mechanically and it will keep you locked in throughout as the various factions change and the tactics change to go along with it.

It's a much darker game overall, but I don't think its nihilistic and there's plenty of softer and human moments to balance things out. It can be exhausting but primarily cause you're stress levels will be through the roof and considering this game leans WAY harder into its horror elements, its tense as fuck.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:15 PM, foogledricks said:

I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey right now and I'm murdering thousands of people and loving every minute of it. And yes, it is fun. Perhaps I should be hospitalized?

I think the Last of Us Part 2 is the first Naughty Dog game to properly contextualize the ludo-narrative dissonance associated with games like Uncharted. Which features a free wheeling, good natured  and charming protagonist who also happens to be a mass murderer. I think its hyberbolic as fuck to claim this game suddenly rewrites the rules of how we view killing AI characters in games. I feel like you have to be pretty far up your own pretentious backside to feel that way but I think it absolutely resolves a long running dissonance in Naughty Dog games in particular and adds a ton of worthwhile context on /why/ you're doing what you're doing at all times.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, Romier S said:

I think the Last of Us Part 2 is the first Naughty Dog game to properly contextualize the ludo-narrative dissonance associated with games like Uncharted. Which features a free wheeling, good natured  and charming protagonist who also happens to be a mass murderer. I think its hyberbolic as fuck to claim this game suddenly rewrites the rules of how we view killing AI characters in games. I feel like you have to be pretty far up your own pretentious backside to feel that way but I think it absolutely resolves a long running dissonance in Naughty Dog games in particular and adds a ton of worthwhile context on /why/ you're doing what you're doing at all times.

This is interesting. A really key story-telling and acting tenant is motivational clarity. That doesn't translate well to videogames, because there is a disconnect between the narrative and the "play" - this is why I generally don't care about story telling in games. Is Naughty Dog blurring the lines and people don't like how it makes them feel.