LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Ghost of Tsushima - Releases July 17th, 2020

Wow, the Shinto shrines are traversal challenges straight up lifted from AC2 and Brotherhood. I missed those so much, so it’s nice to see a game bring them back.

1 hour ago, Mark E said:

Wow, the Shinto shrines are traversal challenges straight up lifted from AC2 and Brotherhood.

Oh, really? 😉

Not quite as complicated, but yeah, it’s a ‘here’s the destination figure out how to get there’ scenario.

I played through the game’s opening last night. The whole time I was thinking, “I am going to LOVE this.”

• Like 1

I really like sneaking around, scoping out the enemy base, coming up with a smart plan of attack... AND then seeing the little standoff prompt pop up and have to think hard for a bit before... pushing up on the d-pad anyways. 😀

I will always do a standoff when given the opportunity. (at least once)

When you get into the flow of combat, it is so satisfying.  I am really enjoying this so far.

I usually thin the herd enough to even the numbers out. With the expanded stand-off technique that allows you to take out at least 3 enemies, its a good combination with some stealth assassinations around the edges of the combat area.

I'm enjoying it thus far though I'm still relatively early on. It does a really nice job of masking its pretty rote open world activities (tailing missions....in 2020) with a sense of dynamism. I'm sure that will dissipate as the experience progresses but I'm about 8-9 hours in and its doing a pretty great job of keeping me highly interested. It's an absolutely gorgeous game, too. I'm generally awed at the amount of particles on screen and the strong use of color just pervades every scene. It really is quite serene to play which is not something that you would usually equate to these kinds of games. 

I went full on Japanese VA with subtitles from the start and haven't regretted it. Yes, its unfortunate that the lip sync doesn't match but considering I'm reading the subtitles anyways, I don't have much time to critique the lip sync being off since I barely notice it. 

Eager to dig deeper as the week progresses.

This game has helped me rediscover my love of rote open-world nonsense. Gimme dat bamboo, bitches, then me and Nobu are hauling ass for a hot springs!

There are only so many ways you can disguise going out and destroying shit, but the game is fun and I love all the little touches like the quest titles blowing away when you finish them.

I had trouble with combat at first, but once you get your parries unlocked it’s a lot easier. Being able to block arrows made life much more bearable.

I love everything about this game... except fuck those bamboo minigames.

Ha! I love those just because of how unique they are compared to the other side activities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, which horse did everyone pick? Mine’s white and named Nobu. 

Also, the combat is kicking my ass on medium difficulty. I figure it’s either because it’s really challenging or because my character is way underpowered right now. Maybe a little of both. 

I’m on medium too and it does get easier, Jeff. Once you get some upgrades and techniques you’ll have a better chance (extra charms and resolve also help).

There’s a quest for armour that I recommend doing early on, if you haven’t. I tend to wear my traveller’s attire typically because it detects stuff, but if you end up in heavy combat you can swap outfits to your damage protection gear without penalty.

And Nabu the white horse is also my ride. Very forgiving of sword strikes he is too...

Sora the mottled horse here.

As for combat, yes, run through the main quest a bit for some super important abilities and armor that will make combat a LOT more manageable. Also find the hot springs where you add to your life bar.

I don't usually mess around with photo modes in games... but this game is too pretty!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I Asked An Expert To Read My Ghost Of Tsushima Haiku. He Wasn’t Impressed

Ian Walker, writing for Kotaku:

A lot of the failings in the Ghost of Tsushima haiku mini-games have to do with how they’re structured, Kacian told me. Upon finding a peaceful place to compose poetry, the player is provided with three trios of pre-written lines from which to choose based on their surroundings, eventually leaving them, ostensibly, with a haiku. As someone with the bare minimum of knowledge on the subject, I thought my poems were fine, if a little generic. But according to Kacian, the game doesn’t compose haiku “in anything but the most superficial and populist sense.”

“The choices offered you made it impossible to achieve anything like a ‘strong example’ [of haiku],” Kacian explained. “They are all about ideas and conclusions, not at all about the ‘thingness’ that haiku purports to employ. In each instance, the choices available to you all had a ‘point’—in other words, you weren’t discovering what is hidden in plain sight, awaiting revelation through the poem, but are asked to produce an emblem of the image offered.”

The poetry in Ghost of Tsushima, for example, relies heavily on metaphor—an abstract way of describing something by comparing it to something else—rather than the more direct language of haiku. “A golden temple” would be an actual golden temple in haiku, Kacian said, rather than the autumn forest depicted in the environment. The game’s strict adherence to the stereotypical 5-7-5 syllable format also fails to make it more than a generic haiku generator. Many serious haiku poets balk at these restrictions, which was apparently never really more than a basic guideline in Japanese anyway.

Nice try, Sucker Punch.

Your haikus are bad — NO SALE!

I want a refund.

(What’s that? I bought it digitally so I can’t get a refund? FUCK!)

All the weaboos being Japanese cultural experts right now are cracking me up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

All the weaboos being Japanese cultural experts right now are cracking me up.

I have no idea what that is, but it sounds like Jordan in this Conan video. 

Yeah that's about it. I mean, a real journalist checking if the haikus in the game are culturally accurate? Yikes.

• Like 1

Well deserved. I love exploring the hell out of this world.

Wish I had more time with it, but what I do get is very satisfying.

• Like 2