LCVG

Control - New Remedy game announced at PS conference

Romier S

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Remedy own the IP. 505 owns the exclusive publishing rights (which is what I said). Owning the IP will be useful *if* 505 ever wants to let go of the publishing rights but what good is the IP when no one else can publish it for 20 years? Specifically in the context of what I was speaking about, i.e. someone like Sony/Microsoft buying Remedy? Or in terms of who to blame for the fuckery surrounding the game?

Ah, I see-yes, that is what you said.  I was more thinking of what Remedy could do with a sequel, or another game that built on the same universe.  If they wanted to make a Control 2 with Sony, or have Jesse and the Bureau figure into an Alan Wake sequel (or something new entirely), seems like they'd be in the clear if it's just the rights for the original that stay with 505. 

1 minute ago, ChrisBardon said:

Ah, I see-yes, that is what you said.  I was more thinking of what Remedy could do with a sequel, or another game that built on the same universe.  If they wanted to make a Control 2 with Sony, or have Jesse and the Bureau figure into an Alan Wake sequel (or something new entirely), seems like they'd be in the clear if it's just the rights for the original that stay with 505. 

Right. We don’t know what extent 505 controls (heh) any sequels. They may have right of first refusal. I’ve seen some reporting that they do have ultimate control over publishing rights for the IP in general. We don’t know 100%.

Gave this a try yesterday and today, and I like it. But man it suffers on frame rate on my old day-one Xbone. 

I like they let you tweak the "assist" settings without having to choose the "I'm a pussy" difficulty setting. I just gave one or two Sliders a slight nudge and it's helping me with a casual playthrough. 

How long is this game?  

Carlos. 

Because I got my new 3060 Ti, I reloaded Control and the Foundation DLC section to see it in 4K with DLSS+RT on high settings and it’s significantly better looking. I expected it to be from the resolution jump but, the ray tracing reviews also showed way better graphics and man does it make a difference. It also helped with gameplay too in ways I wasn’t expecting; stuff like a hiss floating baddie about to do a melee “swoop attack” on me from behind. Since I’m facing the other direction, I only notice the motion in the reflections on the wall to my side but, it was enough warning that I could sprint out of the way as he attacked. It may sound like a minor thing but it adds so much to the immersion and the empowered feeling Control gets so right. Really loving it all over again with the new graphics enabled. I probably won’t play it all the way through again and my focus is on CP2077 now but, it was enough of a jump that I do want to replay some of Control just to see it. 

I’m still salty as fuck that I bought the game AND season pass at launch, but that doesn’t entitle me to the upgrade like somebody who bought the bloody ultimate edition.

Doubly so since their reason why was caught out as bullshit. I love Remedy and had a blast with Control, but the way this upgrade is being handled soured me completely on the game.

I got the ultimate edition for $14 used on the Xbox. That’s about where I wanted to get it at and I still felt “ehhhh” getting it because of their bullshit. The underlying game is so good though and RT is such a difference maker that I rationalized away the purchase to myself. I’m not proud of it but well.....

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

I got the ultimate edition for $14 used on the Xbox. That’s about where I wanted to get it at and I still felt “ehhhh” getting it because of their bullshit. The underlying game is so good though and RT is such a difference maker that I rationalized away the purchase to myself. I’m not proud of it but well.....

As I said earlier in the thread, I was going to give them $20 for the two expansions anyway. Now I’m getting them, along with a next gen upgrade in a couple months as a bonus. So, in that way, I don’t feel too icky about paying for it again.

But, if you paid full price for it at launch, plus the two upgrades on the PS4 and Xbox One, I feel ya.

• 1 month later...

I know the ray traced reflections look really nice, and give the game a big bump in visual quality over what I played on Xbox One X. However, I also know that once I see it running in performance mode at 6ofps, I'm never going to want to go back. If only there was a mode like in the two Spider-Man games that split the difference. I'm not sure that's possible in a game like this, but it would be a nice third option to have.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how the game performs on Xbox Series X as well. My first instinct is to play it there since that's the version I spent my hard-earned money on. However, if the PS5 version were better, I wouldn't hesitate to play it there either.

2 minutes ago, JFo said:

I know the ray traced reflections look really nice, and give the game a big bump in visual quality over what I played on Xbox One X. However, I also know that once I see it running in performance mode at 6ofps, I'm never going to want to go back. If only there was a mode like in the two Spider-Man games that split the difference. I'm not sure that's possible in a game like this, but it would be a nice third option to have.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how the game performs on Xbox Series X as well. My first instinct is to play it there since that's the version I spent my hard-earned money on. However, if the PS5 version were better, I wouldn't hesitate to play it there either.

Same. After playing FFXV in 60FPS even at 1080P, it's really hard to go back. That said, I'll likely want to bask in the ray tracing.

Part of me loves the PC-like options, and most of me hates it. I liked the simple, dumbed-down console world without patches and updates and settings and performance mode.

Graphics mode at 30fps for me. 60fps mode later on replay. Considering how poorly the game ran on consoles before, a mostly locked 30fps is an improvement along with all of the next gen bells and whistles on top.

The quality of the DualSense implementation will dictate which version I play since I’m betting they are likely near identical. Much like Jeff, I bought the X version but I’m fine with either.

Just a heads up that downloading the PS4 version won't automatically update you to the PS5 release. You need to search for the PS5 version and it wasn't even marked as PS5 in the store, so I had to go by the release date, 02/02/21, attached to the listing and the price marked as 'Free' to download the correct executable.

That's at least how it was for my purchased copy of the Ultimate Edition. I don't know whether it's the same for those grabbing it via PS+.

No idea when I will dip into this, or what graphical/performance mode I'll go with. My gaming time is taken up with Persona 5 at the moment. 

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Just a heads up that downloading the PS4 version won't automatically update you to the PS5 release. You need to search for the PS5 version and it wasn't even marked as PS5 in the store, so I had to go by the release date, 02/02/21, attached to the listing and the price marked as 'Free' to download the correct executable.

The labeling is wonky for sure. I saw the "trigger effect required" and figured the Dual Sense mention was a giveaway.

I'm in the middle of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but after that will give this one a look. Regarding Persona 5 ... I surprised myself and just couldn't get into it.

Analysis out comparing the two versions:

- PS5 and Series X both run at 2560x1440p.
- The framerate runs mostly stable on both platforms, although drops are a bit more prevalent on the Series X.
- Ray-tracing more limited on consoles compared to PC (duh). Despite this, it is the best RT we currently have on consoles.
- The input lag in graphics mode is higher than in previous gen versions. (this sucks)
- Reflections without ray-tracing suffer from issues with the character model. This did not happen in the  previous gen versions.
- There is a bug that causes sync problems with the animation of the protagonist when running.
- The Xbox version still has some freezing problems when pausing the game or accessing the map.
- PS5 version shows black crush by default, which forces an increase to the brightness to obtain a similar result to the Xbox version.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Analysis out comparing the two versions:

- PS5 and Series X both run at 2560x1440p.
- The framerate runs mostly stable on both platforms, although drops are a bit more prevalent on the Series X.
- Ray-tracing more limited on consoles compared to PC (duh). Despite this, it is the best RT we currently have on consoles.
- The input lag in graphics mode is higher than in previous gen versions. (this sucks)
- Reflections without ray-tracing suffer from issues with the character model. This did not happen in the  previous gen versions.
- There is a bug that causes sync problems with the animation of the protagonist when running.
- The Xbox version still has some freezing problems when pausing the game or accessing the map.
- PS5 version shows black crush by default, which forces an increase to the brightness to obtain a similar result to the Xbox version.

Great summary, Romier. Thanks.

Really looking forward to giving this a spin. I love me some single-player, 3rd person adventure.

8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

That's at least how it was for my purchased copy of the Ultimate Edition. I don't know whether it's the same for those grabbing it via PS+.

No idea when I will dip into this, or what graphical/performance mode I'll go with. My gaming time is taken up with Persona 5 at the moment. 

There are 2 SKUs for some reason. 

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4040-PPSA01949_00-CONTROLUEPS50000

This is the one labeled PS4/PS5. Both versions can be purchased for free through PS+. 

So as you know,. I own the Xbox Series X version already and went ahead and downloaded the PS5 version. On my C9 with calibrated game mode, there is no doubt that there is a problem with brightness on the PS5 version. Comparing both with HDR off (on PS5 specifically), it's far, far too dark and will crush blacks at default level. The Series X version right out of the gate looks correct.

After some fiddling and comparing by switching back and forth, I found that the brightness level set to 68 on the PS5 gets it almost identical to the Series X without blowing out the black level to grey or blowing out whites/highlights. There is still some minor crush but its pretty spot on. 70 might be more pleasing to some folks but I feel like it blows out the whites too much in the upper level of the Bureaus atrium/opening (which is supposed to be a bit blown out thanks to the drop ceiling lights bathing the character but its easy to tell when its too much).