LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Talkin' ‘bout next generation (possibilities, expectations and hopes for PS5 & Xbox 2)

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Item for Next-Gen wishlist:

There should be a PlayStation and Xbox app that lets you read/listen/watch all supplemental content for a game. Things like:

• In-game text and lore that relate to the story
  • Other In-game material like audio logs
  • In-game maps
  • Soundtracks
  • Art books
  • Behind the scenes material
  • Instruction manuals

They'd sell more deluxe editions because of this too.

I really wanted this for Mass Effect back in the day.  Would have read a bunch more of the lore docs if I could have done it on my phone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Side question: Why does Richard have that as his desktop wallpaper?

I kind of don't want to know. I'm for keeping the mystery alive.

• Haha 1

There's a couple of people around GAF and Era that seem to be trusted, and if they are to be believed, Microsoft will be bringing it this gen with regards to games. 

OsirisBlack has mentioned this before on GAF, but recently emphasized it even more and then likening next-gen to Nintendo vs Sega. Matt on Era has said similar things, and supposedly he's never been a big Xbox guy. Both seem excited at how they see everything playing out.

Osiris also really strongly hinting to Ready at Dawn working on a new game, and what he describes people are parsing as The Order. 

Anyway, the speculation is fun, but take a few grains: 🧂

Microsoft fascinate me right now. I don't expect to be all that surprised by whatever Sony unveil in the coming months, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Microsoft have more to prove and are genuinely capturing my interest with their services. While I don't really intend to buy any next-gen systems until late next year, there's a chance that if any were to woo me this side of 2021 it would be what Microsoft will be offering. I'm certainly wary of how potentially having two next-gen Xboxes of differing performance will affect their sales though and am still unsure if that's a good idea.

I'm also extremely curious as to how the approach of scaling their first party games to play on XB1 through to Series X is achievable without hampering games being able to run at their very best on the highest end hardware, but I'm sure there's an argument to be made for PC games effectively being similarly developed for multiple tiers of performance, with the benefit here being that at least with the "xbox family" of consoles developers know precisely the specs every tier of hardware players would be using whereas PC's can be built will all number of configurations of ram, CPU and GPU types/performance. Richard at DF's thought about whether this approach could be a platform wide mandate extending to third-party development it also a remarkably interesting thought. 

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm also extremely curious as to how the approach of scaling their first party games to play on XB1 through to Series X is achievable without hampering games being able to run at their very best on the highest end hardware, but I'm sure there's an argument to be made for PC games effectively being similarly developed for multiple tiers of performance, with the benefit here being that at least with the "xbox family" of consoles developers know precisely the specs every tier of hardware players would be using whereas PC's can be built will all number of configurations of ram, CPU and GPU types/performance. Richard at DF's thought about whether this approach could be a platform wide mandate extending to third-party development it also a remarkably interesting thought. 

I don't know if its really that interesting and I think John isn't too far off the mark in what he's saying. I think whatever mandates that *are* there will dissipate within that 1-2 year time period that Microsoft mentioned. The "no one left behind" strategy is all well and good but at some point, if we want to see game design evolve to take advantage of a 12 trillion teraflop machine, then invariably folks are going to get left behind. If 3 years into the next generation developers are still looking to create games that cater to the lowest common denominator spec still being an Xbox One S, then that is not a good thing in my view.

Folks online seem to misinterpret that as shitting on godly Microsoft for saving people money while evil Sony cuts them off from their fancy new new generation titles. Meh, fuck console wars stuff. I want to see the power in these new machines exploited. Invariably there is a learning curve in every new generation of hardware and games released on day one rarely ever take advantage of the power available to these new devices. So Microsoft's view of having their first party games available across all of their line the first two years makes total sense but that isn't going to last a whole generation. it simply can't without making something like the Series X nothing more than a beefed up PC and we already have incredible PC hardware out there that's regularly limited by what's possible on console titles at the design level.

6 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Folks online seem to misinterpret that as shitting on godly Microsoft for saving people money while evil Sony is cuts them off from their fancy new new generation titles. Meh, fuck console wars stuff.

So that's what triggered the bizarre comments I'd seen abut Sony being anti-consumer for having PS5 exclusives? For the life of me I could not understand where that was coming from. It was as if people had never purchased a console before. Ugh. The internet. 

18 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

So that's what triggered the bizarre comments I'd seen abut Sony being anti-consumer for having PS5 exclusives? For the life of me I could not understand where that was coming from. It was as if people had never purchased a console before. Ugh. The internet. 

Yep. Twitter has been insufferable about it.

25 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I've seen some highly ranked comments being disappointed "there's no need to buy a PS5 anymore" since the Horizon PC rumor and Im like, where did they announce day and date with PC? 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I've seen some highly ranked comments being disappointed "there's no need to buy a PS5 anymore" since the Horizon PC rumor and Im like, where did they announce day and date with PC? 🤷‍♂️

Again, stupid console wars shit. Sony branching out to PC is good thing and makes sense for them. Especially on exclusive titles that have been on the shelves for extended periods of time but then you see exactly why they are so protective about their IP when that's the reaction from the community.

• Like 1

Just now, Romier S said:

Again, stupid console wars shit. Sony branching out to PC is good thing and makes sense for them. Especially on exclusive titles that have been on the shelves for extended periods of time but then you see exactly why they are so protective about their IP when that's the reaction from the community.

Talk of Dreams going PC at a later date is also doing the rounds again and that's an even smarter move. I really hope that happens. 

I still wonder if they will ever make good on early chatter on potentially making PSVR compatible with PC. Perhaps a future hardware revision. 

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more. Dreams on PC is a damned no-brainer especially if they enhance the tools for a keyboard/mouse interface. I would even argue that it may find a bigger audience in the PC space that is already used to building mods, etc.

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I would even argue that it may find a bigger audience in the PC space that is already used to building mods, etc.

It absolutely would, yes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Yep. Twitter has been insufferable about it.

Twitter is insufferable about everything.  I sincerely can't stand the platform anymore.

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Twitter is insufferable about everything.  I sincerely can't stand the platform anymore.

Depends. The retro community is great for the most part on there. The problem is some of the follows blast stuff out from people and you end up seeing a ton of shit you have no interest in by default so you end up having to manage a whole lot of what you see. Even following someone as innocuous as John from DF ends up getting you a ton of trash and "hot takes" about stuff. 

I agree though, its more trouble than its worth more often than not but then I think social media is the bane of our society so I don't use it often enough for much to bother me on it. I'm usually posting stupid funny stuff I come across. The thing to remember is that 90+% of twitter traffic is driven by less than 5% of their userbase. It's a minority of a minority yet we tend to give it such outsized influence. That's a whole other conversation though.:)

• Like 1

I just wait for you all to post stuff game related and I get news from dedicated sources and the google aggregator. It’s too much work sorting through the garbage. 

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand. 

I sincerely don’t know when I’m jumping into the next gen, which is weird because I’ve been at every launch since the PS1. My PC is rocking a 2080 with a 1440p gsync monitor. It makes upgrading not as urgent. Now my son is already talking about a PS5 so my desire is for as much cross platform play as possible. Hopefully that becomes a larger priority for devs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

12 trillion teraflop machine

EXCLUSIVE PIC OF THE 12 TRILLION TERAFLOP CONSOLE

Spoiler

borg-cube.jpg.6c72c0de0d82b9cd8ee6f50b845d83eb.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JFo said:

EXCLUSIVE PIC OF THE 12 TRILLION TERAFLOP CONSOLE

Reveal hidden contents

borg-cube.jpg.6c72c0de0d82b9cd8ee6f50b845d83eb.jpg

I'm going with Huber's multi-disc changer stacked PS5 design from the Easy Allies 2020 predictions. 

I guess it depends on who you follow on Twitter... I mostly follow tech folk with some news and local things... I don't get too much garbage.

55 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm going with Huber's multi-disc changer stacked PS5 design from the Easy Allies 2020 predictions. 

That's fair. It's probably far more practical than a Borg cube.

• Like 1

I'm excited for super fast game loads, but has there been any mention of addressing game download speeds in this next Gen?

I'm all digital, and waiting for downloads feels like an unnecessary, dated, burden at this point.

Give me fast down loads and fast game boots and I'll be as happy as this guy,... 

happy as a pig in shit

If my internet sucked, I'd laugh with you.

Unfortunately, my internet is awesome! Wired directly to the PS4. Fucking Sony, upgrade that shit already! 

Keith doesn't mind when you get in before him, he was born for & from sloppy seconds!

Personally, I’m glad MS is using this strategy for now. I have an X and now feel no need to upgrade for the time being. Unless Sony does something stupid, I’m there for launch. I can’t wait to see to what next gen Horizon or God of War looks like. Meanwhile, I know MS games will look good enough on my X, even without the new bells and whistles.

GAF's OsirisBlack is strongly hinting they outright bought the Castlevania IP, possibly other Konami IP 🧂

Regardless, great to see attention from them in Japan. I think they got Phantasy Star the last time Phil was there?