LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Talkin' ‘bout next generation (possibilities, expectations and hopes for PS5 & Xbox 2)

2 hours ago, JFo said:

Maybe they're going to CES because they want to talk exclusively about how the PS5 can enhance the TV viewing experience.

Well, they are promising "At CES 2020 Sony is unveiling a unique vision of the future, bringing creativity and technology together like never before, to unleash new sensations and emotions"  so....

https://www.sony.com/electronics/ces

On 12/31/2019 at 6:50 AM, Angry the Clown said:

It doesn’t seem practical to me really. I think Lockhart should target something close to XB1X which I see has been hitting £280 with a game this holiday season here. Doesn’t make it any easier to promote two different systems in my opinion, but XB1X performance must surely be the jumping off point for a lower tier next gen XS variant. It could well be similar to the XB1X on the GPU end, but with a better CPU perhaps.

It would be a shame if we don't have  a new baseline in terms of CPU.

Bit of a non video by DF standards, picking up on a few random things that surfaced (Spencer’s Twitter handle photo) and AMD’s CES event with the XBXS render mistake.

Not to be pedantic but Phil Spencer has been relaying that strategy since the reveal of the S and then onward to the X. We’re seeing it play out with the Xbox brand right now even moreso with the supposed “low cost” alternative all digital S model with no drive that still rung in at a ridiculous $250 (it should have been $199 MAX). Along with the contract based payoff model for the hardware as well. 

The xCloud piece is new but then its also a big X factor alongside PS Now/Stadia due to the general resistance to streaming primarily due to the downsides that come along with it.(lag and PQ). 

Very little new info in all of those tweets, frankly.

I’m mostly glad Microsoft wants to focus on making games. I’ve been wanting to see a renewed focus on that from them since the Kinect originally debuted. Hopefully the studio acquisitions they’ve made will bear fruit on the Series X. I’m looking forward to seeing what they have.

Plan away to bring down all of the pricing barriers. I’m good with that but I worry that perception and pricing can very easily get out of control without the right messaging. It’s /hard/ to juggle multiple console SKU’s at the front end of a new generation without the market perceiving your most expensive product as the only one worth getting. It’s very hard to combat. Just ask Sony.

• Like 2

Good news! My PC's SSD died! That means:

1. I'm using this as an excuse to build a new PC
  2. I'll still fix my old PC (shhhhh), and then move it to my Home Theater
  3. I'll now have a high-end, SSD-based, gaming platform in my home theater
  4. I can shelf my umbrage for "current-gen" load times as a reason to not play games for the next year (waiting for my PS5)

Yay!

• Like 3

Which, as you said, has been their strategy for a while. Ecosystem + all that jazz. Going to be an interesting launch, that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Which, as you said, has been their strategy for a while. Ecosystem + all that jazz. Going to be an interesting launch, that's for sure.

Right. I am curious if even titles like Halo Infinite which will likely be the big draw release for their next gen consoles will also appear on the current X for example. I’m guessing yes but Microsoft has always been a little more reserved with Halo titles over the rest of their first party output.

I mean a more simplified way to say this is we’re going to see more cross gen releases off the bat which I think everyone expects and not just from Microsoft either.

4 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I am curious if even titles like Halo Infinite which will likely be the big draw release for their next gen consoles will also appear on the current X for example. 

The answer is yes.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, foogledricks said:

Good news! My PC's SSD died! That means:

1. I'm using this as an excuse to build a new PC
  2. I'll still fix my old PC (shhhhh), and then move it to my Home Theater
  3. I'll now have a high-end, SSD-based, gaming platform in my home theater
  4. I can shelf my umbrage for "current-gen" load times as a reason to not play games for the next year (waiting for my PS5)

Yay!

I just wanted to provide this update. I fixed my PC by installing a $64 SSD the day after it broke.  And now I'm waiting for delivery of my completely unnecessary new PC parts. 

My wife says I can't buy a PS5 this year now (Said nothing about getting an Xbox Series X though).

• Haha 1

Jason responding to a very reliable rumor making the waves that Sony will be skipping E3 again this year entirely in favor of their own event. With Nintendo not having attended an E3 for ages and the state of things - its looking like there is a greater de-emphasis on the show in general.

Just now, Romier S said:

Jason responding to a very reliable rumor making the waves that Sony will be skipping E3 again this year entirely in favor of their own event. With Nintendo not having attended an E3 for ages and the state of things - its looking like there is a greater de-emphasis on the show in general.

That kind of sucks, but I understand at the same time.  It's just nice to get all of those announcements at the same time and you get to make a day of it.  E3 has been a thing for so long it's sad to see it diminished.  

11 minutes ago, Romier S said:

With Nintendo not attended an E3 for ages and the state of things - its looking like there is a greater de-emphasis on the show in general.

I’m pretty sure Nintendo had a booth presence at E3 last year. They haven’t done a press conference since switching to Nintendo Directs, but they still show off their games on the show floor.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has done the big press conference, but they keep all their presence at the Microsoft Theater (formerly the Nokia Theater) across the street. Perhaps you meant to say Microsoft?

As for Sony, the only question about them returning to E3 this year was whether or not their absence in 2019 was solely due to them not having anything new to show off last year. Obviously, they have a lot to show this year. If they skip E3 on the year of a console launch, we can be pretty certain they’re never coming back.

5 minutes ago, JFo said:

I’m pretty sure Nintendo had a booth presence at E3 last year. They haven’t done a press conference since switching to Nintendo Directs, but they still show off their games on the show floor.

As for Sony, the only question about them returning to E3 this year was whether or not their absence in 2019 was solely due to them not having anything new to show off last year. Obviously, they have a lot to show this year. If they skip E3 on the year of a console launch, we can be pretty certain they’re never coming back.

Yeah, you're right and I should have been more clear. Nintendo hasn't had a press conference presence for years, instead opting for their own Treehouse/Direct shows which is what most folks pay attention to in terms of E3 news. Having a booth presence is nice and all but when attendance is dwindling, its only a matter of time until that changes.

Especially if Sony is on a path to ignoring the show. It's not really a surprise given Sony's penchant for putting on their own PSX shows (though usually closer to the end of the year). I'm curious if Sony goes back to that structure for their bigger press conference reveals with their Nintendo Direct like mini-shows throughout the year moving forward.

Richard shares how Digital Foundry will be analyzing games with the arrival of the next gen consoles.

Considering how many different versions of each game they may have to look at for the next few years — current-gen base and enhanced consoles plus the next-gen consoles as well — it makes sense for them to streamline the process so that they can get everything done faster. Still, I’m not sure I’d want to have to play through these games as many times as they have to in order to cover all the bases for analysis.

1 minute ago, Romier S said:

Yeah, you're right and I should have been more clear. Nintendo hasn't had a press conference presence for years, instead opting for their own Treehouse/Direct shows which is what most folks pay attention to in terms of E3 news.

Gotcha.

It’s official: 

With PS5 On The Way, Sony Will Skip E3 Again

Jason Schreier, reporting for Kotaku:

Sony will skip E3 again this year, a major blow to the annual video game conference in a year that will also see the release of the next PlayStation. Instead, the corporation will hold its own events throughout the year to talk about the next-gen PlayStation 5.

“We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year,” a spokesperson told GamesIndustry.biz.

Schreier added the following on Twitter:

A part of me is sad as E3 has been such a staple of the industry for so long and as a gamer I loved taking the week off and just soaking in all of the game coverage.

The issues with E3 are not new and have been often reported throughout the years. I look forward to this years PSX and whatever other shows Sony puts together for the PS5. Like @JFo said, if Sony isn't bothering to show up in a year when they have a brand new console to show to help kick off a new generation, I don't see why they would ever bother with it again.

Item for Next-Gen wishlist:

There should be a PlayStation and Xbox app that lets you read/listen/watch all supplemental content for a game. Things like:

• In-game text and lore that relate to the story
  • Other In-game material like audio logs
  • In-game maps
  • Soundtracks
  • Art books
  • Behind the scenes material
  • Instruction manuals

They'd sell more deluxe editions because of this too.

I agree with John - making the base console the xbox one S (not even X) in Microsoft "Xbox platform" strategy will undoubtedly limit game companies towards making significant jumps improving game simulation -  The architecture and design of a game will still have to be based around the limitations of the "base console". Which is interesting because MS is also touting the improved SSD tech - so to me that means that for at least a couple of years, it will be simply used to speed up asset loading and not used in any novel way.

Richard brings up an interesting question though - will MS make the ecosystem "a buy once play everywhere?" even for 3rd parties? They certainly already do (Xbox + PC at least) for their first party titles.

Thing is, they're also going heavily in on their XCloud thing - when they say a title will run on anything, including a One S, do they necessarily mean without using XCloud to really run it on something powerful enough to handle it?