LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Talkin' about next gen (possibilities, expectations and hopes for PS5 & Xbox 2)

Rumor mill for Scarlett. SSD support for RAM (much like Sony) and they’re touting 8k, 120FPS but then it just sounds like HDMI 2.1 spec. Backwards compatible with “4 generations of content” but there needs to be some serious context around that. The current console is technically compatible with 3 but the OG Xbox offerings are slim and I’m betting it’s a continuation of the existing BC program (which don’t get me wrong is great!).

https://www.spieltimes.com/news/source-xbox-scarlett-will-have-8k-support-120-fps-backward-compatibility-and-more/

Launching Holiday 2020 alongside Halo Infinite.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 1:13 PM, Starhawk said:

I love that Richard used a 4k stream to get part numbers off the RAM 😄

Yeah a Russian twitter account did that almost the same day of the keynote I believe.

Based on the layout and part #s they were speculating 24 GB ram - sounds too good to be true :)

It's a lot, but this is a dev board and that's only twice as much as a One X; this is supposed to be at least twice as powerful.

I was hoping these new boxes would have 32GB RAM. Maybe with these new SSD sub systems they do not need it.

Microsoft's focus for Xbox Scarlett is more than just prettier graphics

Laura Parker, writing for GameSpot:

As head of Xbox Phil Spencer told GameSpot in an exclusive, in-depth interview following E3, how smoothly games run will be a major focal point in the next generation.

"I think the area that we really want to focus on next generation is frame rate and playability of the games," Spencer said. "Ensuring that the games load incredibly fast, ensuring that the game is running at the highest frame rate possible. We're also the Windows company, so we see the work that goes on [for] PC and the work that developers are doing. People love 60 frames-per-second games, so getting games to run at 4K 60 [FPS] I think will be a real design goal for us.["]

Music to my ears.

In addition to providing backward compatibility for games, Spencer also says that other hardware -- particularly controllers from previous generations -- will also work on the console.

"Another thing that will be a little bit new for us is the fact that we want to also respect the compatibility of the controllers that you already have. This generation, we came out with the Elite controller, we've done work on controllers and people have invested in personalized controllers, the things that they love and we want to make those compatible with future generations of our console as well. So really, the things that you've bought from us, whether the games or the controllers that you're using, we want to make sure those are future compatible with the highest fidelity version of our console, which at that time will obviously be the one we've just launched."

This is great to hear, especially for people who may have purchased an Adaptive Controller and peripherals for it. The controller alone costs $99, and depending on your needs, the peripherals can increase the total price by several hundred dollars more. It would be a shame if those people had to throw all that away and start over just to play games on Scarlett.

That said, it makes me wonder what Microsoft -- and Sony for that matter -- have in the works for their next-gen controllers. How similar will the designs be to the current models? What will be changed and/or improved? I have a list of things I'd like to see, but I think that may best be saved for its own thread.

That said, it makes me wonder what Microsoft -- and Sony for that matter -- have in the works for their next-gen controllers. How similar will the designs be to the current models? What will be changed and/or improved? I have a list of things I'd like to see, but I think that may best be saved for its own thread.

I've wondered about this too. As far as Microsoft are concerned, short of going with a rechargeable lithium battery they could get away with changing very little about their controller. I love the S controller, and if it ain't broke...

Sony meanwhile face a potentially bigger challenge because if they're embracing PS4 backwards compatibility then surely the touchpad has to carry over to the Dualshock 5 (although they could abandon it and make the argument that players should just use their DS4, or better yet for them, purchase a DS4, for full compatibility). I wasn't a big fan of the DS4. Squishy triggers and an a light cheap plastic feel to it to the point where you can make it squeak and creak like an old wooden floorboard. Hated taking it apart to clean too. 

4 hours ago, JFo said:

Totally agree, I'm probably just as excited to see what they come up with on controllers as I am with rest of the hardware. If there was some way to make a controller so 1) point & click type games are easier to play on a console and 2) ability was on par with mouse & keyboard for FPS shooters, that seems like the holy grail to me. Not sure what that would even be as you'd think some sort of touch control would be involved, and those have all pretty much been failures so far.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Sony meanwhile face a potentially bigger challenge because if they're embracing PS4 backwards compatibility then surely the touchpad has to carry over to the Dualshock 5 (although they could abandon it and make the argument that players should just use their DS4, or better yet for them, purchase a DS4, for full compatibility).

There are so few games that even took advantage of the touch pad, I could see them simply not supporting it and recommending DS4 usage. Also wonder if the PS5 controller could map the touchpad input in a different way for those few titles.

I wasn't a big fan of the DS4. Squishy triggers and an a light cheap plastic feel to it to the point where you can make it squeak and creak like an old wooden floorboard. Hated taking it apart to clean too. 

Man, I'm the exact opposite. The Dual Shock 4 is my favorite controller of all time. I do know what you mean about the "creakyness" of it, but I only noticed that on my launch controllers and they fixed that with future revisions. It became much more solid in the way it felt. The ones with the light in the touch pad also have completely redesigned trigger internals. 

• Like 1

I’m with Cam on the DS4 and the later revisions. Outside of some launch analog stick issues and the dire battery, it’s one of my favorite controller designs of all time. It’s about as comfortable as a controller gets and the d-pad design is classic and lends itself well to fighting games and retro titles.

That’s not to say I dislike the One controller. It’s also pretty great but I don’t like the top shoulder button placement and feel the d-pad isn’t up to snuff on an otherwise high quality controller.

My hope for next gen is for Sony to take a “if it ain’t broke” approach to the Dual Shock design. Put a better battery in there, add the same level of haptic feedback Nintendo’s joycons produce for rumble and upgrade the quality of the analog sticks even further and I’m in heaven.

Microsoft needs to provide a better d-pad option and rethink the shoulder button design and they have their own heavenly controller. Minor nips and tucks at best as they already have an HD rumble equivalent.

I don’t have a preference for offset analog sticks versus not. I like and use both with no issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

That’s not to say I dislike the One controller. It’s also pretty great but I don’t like the top shoulder button placement and feel the d-pad isn’t up to snuff on an otherwise high quality controller.

Microsoft needs to provide a better d-pad option and rethink the shoulder button design and they have their own heavenly controller. Minor nips and tucks at best as they already have an HD rumble equivalent.

100%. The D-pad and LB/RB buttons are my main gripes with the One controller. Otherwise it's fantastic.

I don’t have a preference for offset analog sticks versus not. I like and use both with no issues.

I like them about the same as well, but another improvement I really like with the DS4 was, due to the way the handles are angled, your grip on the symmetrical sticks is in a much more natural position than the DS3 where your thumbs had to rest more horizontal, pointing at each other. 

On the DS4 battery life, most people blame the light bar for it, but supposedly the real reason is due to the touchpad. Since the touchpad doesn't actually have to be pressed to be used (you can run your finger over it to move a cursor for example), when the DS4 is turned on, the touchpad is always "hot" waiting for input. I don't know how true that is, but it made a lot of sense. The LED shouldn't be that big of a drain.

10 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Man, I'm the exact opposite. The Dual Shock 4 is my favorite controller of all time. I do know what you mean about the "creakyness" of it, but I only noticed that on my launch controllers and they fixed that with future revisions. It became much more solid in the way it felt. The ones with the light in the touch pad also have completely redesigned trigger internals. 

Yes, I definitely liked the one that came with my Pro more than the one that came with my launch model (particularly since the analogue stick coverings wore away quickly on my original). Both were a pain to take apart for cleaning and repair, chiefly due to the damn touchpad, but also the spring cools on the shoulder buttons.

10 hours ago, Romier S said:

I’ve never had much issue with the shoulder buttons, but I can get behind a refined d-pad. Is the Elite controller d-pad an improvement? Perhaps some r&d can trickle down if so.