LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Arcade1up - Classic Arcade cabinets coming soon for $299

Yeah, seems like an odd issue to have, they are going to send me a replacement part, may take some time to get here, but i'm not in a rush.

Opened the cab to see how things looked and unfortunately side panel E has two gouges around 1/2" and 1" into the artwork, they are going to send a replacement panel.

That sucks dude.  It's pretty easy to swap the side panel out if you wanted to go ahead and get it together.  Putting one of the side panels on is one of the last major things you do.You just take out the two screws on that side for the control panel, or remove it entirely, then put it on its' side and take the screws out on the panel faced up.  I just put my drill on it's absolutely lowest torque setting, 1 out of 15 I think, and it tightened them perfectly.  It should not take more than 5-10 minutes to swap out a side panel.

Yeah, the 4-6 week wait time won't be easy, but i'll start working on the control panel upgrades while I wait, replacing Joysticks and buttons.

Anyone else noticing a humming/buzzing/ringing sound when on the MK game select screen at times?

17 minutes ago, NickC said:

Anyone else noticing a humming/buzzing/ringing sound when on the MK game select screen at times?

Yep. It’s “normal” and reported by everyone with a cab.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Yep. It’s “normal” and reported by everyone with a cab.

Thanks, basically what I was finding as well.

Ordered new joysticks and buttons for the MK cab, also pulled everything out of the current control panel, replacing buttons should be simple, the joysticks will be more of a challenge.

• Like 1

All set up, controls weren't difficult just took some time for the joysticks, luckily the IL Euro Sticks didn't need to be modified, but I did have to sand the inside of the left panel to get the control panel to fit nicely. The controls are also too big for the control panel cover, so I just left it off.

And you used the adapter we saw earlier?  I’ve been hesitant to open the MK cabinet since the Galaga project did not go as expected. So I’ve just had the adapters and sticks sitting here. 

On 5/25/2019 at 9:16 AM, Eldorado said:

And you used the adapter we saw earlier?  I’ve been hesitant to open the MK cabinet since the Galaga project did not go as expected. So I’ve just had the adapters and sticks sitting here. 

What joystick did you use with Galaga? Do you have any pictures of the Joystick and where it plugs in on the board?

It was a stick specified as being for either Pac-Man or Galaga from the website I had linked to earlier.  I can take some pics when I get home tonight.  

That's the one.  I still have it wired to the harness I bought with the five pin adapter I linked.  It was a straight swap and there was a five pin connector to the main board. 

If you have pictures of how it was wired before post them, interesting that the control board is 5 pin.

Here they be. 1st pic is the controller board. I’m holding up the five wire connector. Disconnect the five wire connector from the joystick and we have the 2nd pic. The harness plugs directly into the original cable for the joystick. The colors do not match but I do not think that has any bearing on the issue.

BE3D153E-5318-4116-B837-32B90913D129.thumb.jpeg.f31e033270581e142341e7b1a07ebeee.jpegE0548806-1B16-4D26-8A00-2E5BACA788CF.thumb.jpeg.6a6e4be6e690ae6af7a8b6770de1c695.jpeg

Each direction on the new joystick has 3 metal prongs marked 1, 2, and 4. I now see that a line is connecting the 1 & 2. And I think that may be where the problem lies. I might have it wired incorrectly. 

32A7A3BA-E2A3-4AF1-8B06-47245B9E740E.jpeg

You appear have the joystick wired correctly, 1 (bottom) is ground, 2 is NC (Top Right), 4 is NO (Bottom Right), you want to use 1 and 4, my guess is the wires don''t match up with where the input are on the control panel board connector, can the wire position be adjusted on the joystick harness?

2 hours ago, NickC said:

You appear have the joystick wired correctly, 1 (bottom) is ground, 2 is NC (Top Right), 4 is NO (Bottom Right), you want to use 1 and 4, my guess is the wires don''t match up with where the input are on the control panel board connector, can the wire position be adjusted on the joystick harness?

I haven’t tried. They look like they are not swappable. I could probably flip it around but then black would not be on black. 

If you look closely at the original joystick there is some type of small board built in. This is where the original cable connects. I wonder if there is another component inside doing something. 

Hmm. Do you think that since the cabinet is only designed to deal with movement in two directions that maybe there is something superfluous in the setup? Trying to use a four-direction stick in a game meant for only two. 

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I haven’t tried. They look like they are not swappable. I could probably flip it around but then black would not be on black. 

If you look closely at the original joystick there is some type of small board built in. This is where the original cable connects. I wonder if there is another component inside doing something. 

Hmm. Do you think that since the cabinet is only designed to deal with movement in two directions that maybe there is something superfluous in the setup? Trying to use a four-direction stick in a game meant for only two. 

I would swap it around as a test, I believe yellow may be ground on the board, but It's black on the joystick. Even then, some of the other directions may not line up exactly, but its worth a shot to see if the results are different.

Is there any indication what type of joystick the original is? It appears to be 4 way with a 2 way plate.

I believe it is a 4way stick. But I don’t know how the control board is wired. Obviously the fight sticks use two sets of four wires with two input connectors on the board. The original stick I assumed was four connectors with a shared ground. I was just throwing ideas out to see if any stuck.

I’ll try swapping the harness adapter around and see what happens tonight. 

:milk

Success!  

Why is it always something stupid like that?  The new stick is a good inch shorter but much more responsive and tight back to center. 

I’ll need to order those cables you got for the MK sticks. Maybe I’ll go ahead and do the buttons too. 

• Like 1

Cool. The MK joysticks are pretty easy to replace. I messed my right stick up by having it off center a little, luckily it doesn't impact gameplay, I need to see If I can fix it.