LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILER FREE) Discussion Thread

That guy has always looked evil to me despite him playing hero roles in movies and tv shows.  He needs to be bad in SW but I'm sure he'll be some rebel fighter or something stupid.

On 8/1/2018 at 6:01 PM, NickC said:

This photo will be the first in a series during production. Abrams didn't post much last time around, Johnson had more to share, and Ron Howard was very public with behind the scenes shots.

https://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-star-wars-episode-ix

So much for posting additional photos during production, seems that idea was nixed.

Image result for always preparing just go gif

Wonder when the title will be announced.

Boyega's thoughts, same pic.

We must be closing in on a title and teaser. Last Jedi’s title was revealed in January of 2017 and the first teaser didn’t come until April of that year. Does Disney have a big movie opening this April? 😀

And a Star Wars convention two weeks before that big Disney movie releasing in April.

I expect the teaser on April 11th or 12th.

Who knows if they hold the title until then, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

• Like 1

I’ve heard a rumour that the trailer could be first shown at Star Wars Celebration (with caution that it could easily be wrong). 

The Episode 9 Celebration Panel will be on Friday April 12th hosted by JJ and KK, expect the trailer then. No word on streaming yet, but they normally stream the larger panels.

• Like 2

If they ever bring back the in-between movies, I will accept nothing less than a buddy cop movie called Kylo and Hux - Special Victims Unit A Star Wars Story. The story of two unlikely chaps who seemingly hate one another but come together with the unlikely goal of patrolling the universe to stop an uptick is egregious crimes due to the filthy rebellion. 

d7c7159c7b65dc524c19677d9679cdcb18f60978 

Pale redheads are usually from the Celtic Nations. Of course Hollywood makes us play the bad guys. 

1 hour ago, NickC said:

If Hux's mother has a recurring role I'd be interested.

I assume you're thinking he has a relationship with his mother like how Teddy has a relationship with his Dad:

I noticed the Episode IX panel at Celebration will be taking place between 11am and midday on Friday (Chicago time), so I guess that's the time frame to expect StarWars.com and the official social media channels to upload poster/trailer...etc.

Yeah, expect it to drop closer to midday when the panel ends. I believe the panel with be live streamed as it has in the past as well.

Some quotes from JJ in an interview with Fast Company

...with Force Awakens, I feel like we managed to introduce these new characters—for some people, new actors—and continue a story in a way that I thought had heart and humanity and humor and surprise. Though of course I’m aware that there are critics of that movie, it felt to me like we dodged a bullet. Like we got in there, we got to do something. And I left loving Star Wars as much as I did when I got there. Like, somehow, it was on a personal, selfish level something I was really happy to have done. Not just excited about doing but happy to have done. And to ask to have that happen again, I felt a little bit like I was playing with fire. Like, why go back? We managed to make it work. What the hell am I thinking?

And there was a moment when I literally said, “No,” and Katie  said, “You should do this.” And my first thought was, has she met someone? And then I thought, she’s usually right about stuff. And when she said it, I think that she felt like it was an opportunity to bring to a close this story that we had begun and had continued, of course. And I could see that even though the last thing on my mind was going away and jumping back into that, especially with the time constraints that we were faced with . . . .

FC: What were the time constraints?

Abrams: Because they had announced release dates, and everything works backwards.

FC: Was the schedule unusually fast?

Abrams: To have no script and to have a release date and have it be essentially a two-year window when you’re saying (to yourself), you’ve got two years from the decision to do it to release, and you have literally nothing . . . . You don’t have the story, you don’t have the cast, you don’t have the designers, the sets. There was a crew, and there were things that will be worked on for the version that preceded ours, but this was starting over.

So the good news was I was jumping in with a writer whom I admired enormously; with Kathy and Callum Greene, a producer whom I’d never met; Michelle Rejwan, who had been my assistant, and whom Kathy had hired to work with her as a producer. But it was a completely unknown scenario. I had some gut instincts about where the story would have gone. But without getting in the weeds on episode eight, that was a story that Rian wrote and was telling based on seven before we met. So he was taking the thing in another direction. So we also had to respond to Episode VIII.

So our movie was not just following what we had started, it was following what we had started and then had been advanced by someone else. So there was that, and, finally, it was resolving nine movies. While there are some threads of larger ideas and some big picture things that had been conceived decades ago and a lot of ideas that Lawrence Kasdan and I had when we were doing Episode VII, the lack of absolute inevitability, the lack of a complete structure for this thing, given the way it was being run was an enormous challenge.

However, to answer your question—truly, finally—now that I’m back, the difference is I feel like we might’ve done it. Like, I actually feel like this crazy challenge that could have been a wildly uncomfortable contortion of ideas, and a kind of shoving-in of answers and Band-Aids and bridges and things that would have felt messy. Strangely, we were sort of relentless and almost unbearably disciplined about the story and forcing ourselves to question and answer some fundamental things that at the beginning, I absolutely had no clue how we would begin to address.I feel like we’ve gotten to a place—without jinxing anything or sounding more confident than I deserve to be—I feel like we’re in a place where we might have something incredibly special. So I feel relief being home, and I feel gratitude that I got to do it. And more than anything, I’m excited about what I think we might have.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90331236/exclusive-j-j-abrams-on-star-wars-apple-and-building-bad-robot-into-a-hollywood-force

• Like 1

Good interview.

Was his commentary on the 3D release of Force Awakens good? I hope when the UHD arrives we get those additional features from the 3D set (since they were on the 2D discs included in that set there’s really no excuse not to just bundle those with the 4k disc).

I'm not excited for this movie, but I am optimistic that JJ will pivot toward something that I'm ultimately satisfied with despite my pessimism following TLJ.  Makes me sad that I was so looking forward to TFA and the TLJ and my enthusiasm is significantly less for this movie.  But at least there is an opportunity to defy my lowered expectations.  And by lowered expectations I don't mean that this will be a bad movie or that TLJ was a bad movie.  Simply that I can't think of one specific thing about this movie that I'm looking forward to.  Unlike "End Game" where I have a thousand expectations (will Captain America survive, Will Captain Marvel punch Thor, will Hulk get revenge on Thanos, etc... I'm bursting at the seems with expectations and questions and excitement), there isn't anything I'm on the edge of my seat wanting to find out for this Star Wars movie.  Maybe the trailer will change that.

For me it’s a deep curiosity as to how you even go about closing a nine film saga that never really had a distinct story set out from the start, but instead evolved (often randomly) from film to film and trilogy to trilogy though various writers, directors and over a general passage of time between productions. 

It’s also a curiosity to see whether this trilogy will have ultimately been worth it in the grand scheme of things. They introduced some fantastic new characters with Force Awakens, Johnson then took things to really interesting places in Last Jedi (in my opinion), so I hope IX honours the characters and delivers a conclusion to their journey that feels natural and rewarding.

It does sound like Abrams is satisfied that he met the challenges IX presented him with, and he’s typically one who relishes in leaving elements of a story open ended rather than face having to provide answers and resolution.