LCVG

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILER FREE) Discussion Thread

For a Star Wars film I'm not invested like I should be, the new characters aren't as interesting as i'd like them to be, and the story has left a lot to be desired, that said I hope they nail it this time and deliver something terrific in all aspects. I'm glad JJ believes they "might" have a story that delivers "something incredibly special", though I wouldn't expect him to say anything less.

GorgeousMiniatureBittern-small.gif

• Like 1
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dominic Monaghan has joined the cast.    

That's a long fucking trailer!  

Yeah, I mean if they want to have the Emperor's ghost appear to Kylo or someone and have a Yoda like Sith pep talk - I'm kind of alright with that.    If they go into the comic book level Em

I'm ready. I loved The Last Jedi and my fear is the JJ will succumb to the pressure of telling a "internet fan approved" story instead of building on what Johnson did with VIII. If Rey suddenly has some ridiculous lineage cause fans can't deal with her being a nobody instead of someones daughter or cousin, I'll be enormously disappointed as an example (one out of many).

I re-watched TLJ a few weeks ago and love it more the more I watch it. It's right below Empire as my favorite Star Wars film so I'm downright invested for this next one. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'm ready. I loved The Last Jedi and my fear is the JJ will succumb to the pressure of telling a "internet fan approved" story instead of building on what Johnson did with VIII. If Rey suddenly has some ridiculous lineage cause fans can't deal with her being a nobody instead of someones daughter or cousin, I'll be enormously disappointed as an example (one out of many).

I re-watched TLJ a few weeks ago and love it more the more I watch it. It's right below Empire as my favorite Star Wars film so I'm downright invested for this next one. 

We have to watch this movie side by side. 

So when Rey gets laid off at the beginning of the movie and becomes a janitor or something, only to realize later that she doesn't have to be nothing just because her father was nothing, and SAVES THE DAY at the end, you can sit giddy and I'll pout in the corner. 

But if Rey turns out to be Palpatine's granddaughter. and is exiled by the resistance because she's too dangerous, but then comes back at the end to SAVE THE DAY, I will sit giddy and you'll pout in the corner.

39 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Yep, still the opposite for me. The more I watch The Last Jedi the more I dislike it even with it's high production values.

Don't care for internet fan theories or even my own theories (which at this point I have none), don't care if Rey is or isn't a Skywalker (it would probably be really silly to make her one at this point), just give me a cohesive and satisfying story/trilogy/arc that justifies it's existence. 

• Like 2

Logged in via my tv and have now just had this terrible thought that having dared to search ‘star wars’ to get to the official page my youtube account recommendations will now be bombarded with bizarre fan theory, women hating and “why last jedi suckzzzzz” accounts. 😫

If you purge search history does it clear that kind of crap?

28 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Logged in via my tv and have now just had this terrible thought that having dared to search ‘star wars’ to get to the official page my youtube account recommendations will now be bombarded with bizarre fan theory, women hating and “why last jedi suckzzzzz” accounts. 😫

If you purge search history does it clear that kind of crap?

Omg, seriously.  If I search for 1 thing 1 time I am forever a fan of that thing.  I watched an arm wrestling thing that popped into my feed.   Now my entire feed is just arm wrestling stuff.  WTF?!

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Very little details.

"Some" time has passed from The Last Jedi

Characters have to face the ultimate evil in this film

D39ywiPVUAAnUZJ.jpg

D39zE_-XoAAx8lo.jpg

D39zuJAW4Ag25Cl.jpg

D391gG8UYAAYRK7.jpg

Naomi Ackie has Jannah

D393G3OWAAEfhq4.jpg

D393jR2WAAAmLBl.jpg

D394XxFXoAM3tSV.jpg

D394ym5W0AASzFR.jpg

D395bCTW0AANVd4.jpg

D395yXsW4AAlJte.jpg

D396rvXVUAABj50.jpg

D397Pt0UYAAoH8g.jpg

D397ylUWwAcKFVY.jpg

D398JabWsAAj_3V.jpg

D398PjtWwAETWka.jpg:large

D398bgvXkAYNTIP.jpg

D399Oy-UwAArdaN.jpg

D399LpSUEAAE_Kx.jpg

Good trailer. The end left me cold though. If the Emperor laughing and them hinting at some return of that character is supposed to excite me? It did the exact opposite. It just continues to exemplify how utterly small the Star Wars universe is if that's the direction their going and its hard to read it otherwise.

Luke: "No one is ever really gone"

*Emperor laughs*

We'll see. I can only judge the trailer. The movie may prove me wrong.

Kind of had the same initial feeling on that point. Hearing the laugh made me think perhaps it was just a throwback to help sell the shot of the Death Star II remains, an echo of the past if you will.... but then McDiarmid appeared on stage right after which then confirmed there’s actually way more to it.

I did float the thought after Last Jedi that if we can have Jedi ghosts why not Sith, however, so it’s something that hasn’t been explored (at least on film. I don’t follow expanded universe stuff so can’t speak for that).

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Kind of had the same initial feeling on that point. Hearing the laugh made me think perhaps it was just a throwback to help sell the shot of the Death Star II remains, an echo of the past if you will.... but then McDiarmid appeared on stage right after which then confirmed there’s actually way more to it.

I did float the thought after Last Jedi that if we can have Jedi ghosts why not Sith, however, so it’s something that hasn’t been explored (at least on film. I don’t follow expanded universe stuff so can’t speak for that).

Yeah, I mean if they want to have the Emperor's ghost appear to Kylo or someone and have a Yoda like Sith pep talk - I'm kind of alright with that. 

If they go into the comic book level Emperor having cloned bodies and Snoke was a fucked up clone or some such nonsense - that's a just a big no thank you and just shows an utter level of lazy writing that surpasses Force Awakens moon base weapon.

On the expanded universe stuff, I've gotten to the point where I want to downright smack fans that tell me I should see or read x or y to fill in blanks. I've actually done that in the past and I want to smack myself for doing it. If its not in the fucking movie, then shut up. If I have to read a god damned encyclopedia to understand what's happening in your movie, then you've already failed.

• Like 4