LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILER FREE) Discussion Thread

I was wrong.  I said repeatedly that TLJ sucked the magic, the mystery, and the serial story from the Star Wars saga in a way that for the first time ever,  my anticipation and wonder about the next iteration of the franchise has been depleted and dehydrated.  But somehow JJ extracted the dead heart from the corpse left by TLJ and shocked it back to life.  I am genuinely excited about this next movie as JJ has clearly tried to coerce me into believing that the game isn't over quite yet.  Good job I say.  God speed JJ.

13 minutes ago, Camp said:

Rey in the hood at the end: Is she CGI? She looks remarkably not human.

Yeah something looks odd in that shot. (Money on Emperor possession?)

Yeah, my money is on Dream/Vision or Emperor possession, long shot would be a clone.

Funny memes if you watched the D23 Trailer:

Spoiler

If there's one thing Abrams likes to do (too much, let's be honest) it's remixing the old stuff for emotional resonance. So I would suspect this is a version of Yoda's Spooky Cave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickC said:

Yeah, my money is on Dream/Vision or Emperor possession, long shot would be a clone.

The latter could explain why she looks a little... off... I suppose, but again, I just feel like if this was a major plot point, as one would assume any kind of evil Rey story device to be, then Abrams would never allow it to end up in pre-release footage. That we know he likes misdirection in his trailers I guess is why I shrugged it off as it was the least interesting thing in the reel for me (I’m excited by all them there star destroyers).

9 minutes ago, iainl said:

If there's one thing Abrams likes to do (too much, let's be honest) it's remixing the old stuff for emotional resonance. So I would suspect this is a version of Yoda's Spooky Cave.

Definitely the impression I get.

Maybe we should hope it’s something because if it isn’t then a lot of people imposing their expectations onto it now are going to be insufferable in December. 🙂

31 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Maybe we should hope it’s something because if it isn’t then a lot of people imposing their expectations onto it now are going to be insufferable in December. 🙂

If this was written by Johnson, this will all be explained by Rey being at a costume party, dressed like the emperor, being silly like "Ewww, I'm the emperor, I'm so evil, ewww maniacal laugh, ewww," and everyone would laugh it off while drinking green milk and twirling their light saber shaped light sticks.

And Johnson would be in the writer's room saying "ewwww, expectations subverted, ewwww, fuck you Star Wars fans."

10 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

If this was written by Johnson, this will all be explained by Rey being at a costume party, dressed like the emperor, being silly like "Ewww, I'm the emperor, I'm so evil, ewww maniacal laugh, ewww," and everyone would laugh it off while drinking green milk and twirling their light saber shaped light sticks.

That would work very well for merchandise synergy in the theme park land.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Make a good film and no one will care if their theories/expectations are correct :P

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Sir, this is the internet. Please step off.

The "Internet" is more of a utility backbone where the "web" of pages on "websites" can be "requested" from.  It is a small distinction but one that you might benefit from for future productive conversations about media, technology, and entertainment.

35 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Nah I'm good thanks.

giphy.gif

God damn it.  Whatever.

DELETED what came next because it was conjecture and that's for the other thread.

I really don’t envy the filmmakers trying to conclude this saga, or indeed this trilogy. I’m struggling to see how it can’t end up any less divisive than the last film as so many people have different expectations that will dictate whether they think it’s good or not. It will be quite remarkable if it can offer enough to satisfy prequel lovers, prequel haters, last jedi fans and last jedi haters. 

While I prefer the idea she’s a nobody (even though Last Jedi never definitively makes that case) I’d sort of assumed that Abrams sees Rey as a Kenobi descendant which is why we hear him directly call out to her in Force Awakens, and that would set up the Kenobi Disney+ thing to explain the rest. If she is a somebody but neither a Kenobi or Skywalker that would at least be more interesting, or that yes she’s a somebody but dies. I hadn’t really considered that option (I’d be very surprised if they went that route though).

I’m actually most intrigued to see how they end Kylo Ren’s story as I think the character’s been the most fascinating in the new films, thanks in no small part to Driver’s performance. If we accept the redemption of Anakin, child murderer, then I guess Kylo doing a good deed is enough to make up for killing his father (though you’d expect his demise to be a given regardless of whether he turns back or not).

My best hope is that, whatever they do, it makes sense for the characters.

I should add that I hope they don't shortchange Finn either. Second to Kylo he's been the most interesting new character and with the Rey/Kylo stuff to resolve, and now throwing the Emperor back into the mix and having to explain that, I worry about how they can balance all this stuff. It'll be interesting to see how long the movie is.

Apparently Williams is writing 135 minutes of music, not that that correlates to the films length per say, but compared to previous films:

• The Phantom Menace – Film length: 2 hours 13 minutes, Soundtrack length: 1 hour 14 minutes
  • Attack of the Clones – Film length: 2 hours 22 minutes, Soundtrack length:1 hour 14 minutes
  • Revenge of the Sith – Film length: 2 hours 20 minutes, Soundtrack length: 1 hour 12 minutes
  • Star Wars – Film length: 2 hours 1 minute, Soundtrack length: 1 hour 15 minutes
  • The Empire Strikes Back – Film length: 2 hours 4 minutes, Soundtrack length: 1 hour 15 minutes
  • Return of the Jedi – Film length: 2 hours 12 minutes, Soundtrack length: 45 minutes
  • The Force Awakens – Film length: 2 hours 15 minutes, Soundtrack length: 1 hour 17 minutes
  • The Last Jedi – Film length: 2 hours 32 minutes, Soundtrack length: 1 hour 18 minutes

https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-score-length/

Hmmm. That's going to be 135mins written, rather than recorded. The recording sessions would typically be around double that figure, primarily on account of alternates or fluffed takes (I've got a number of recording sessions for various films in my collection and, while not to pick out another Williams score for any specific reason, Schindler's List for example amounts to around 4.5hrs of music, for what was really only around 90mins written and just over an hour or so used). 

Odd article though. They weirdly seem to be going by original album length for the soundtrack times on that list so I am not sure what they are trying to deduce other than that Rise's soundtrack CD/download/stream release will be around 1hr and 15mins. While cues go unused, or get edited, and Williams records concert suites, the amount of music that nevertheless ends up Star Wars movies is typically pretty close to their movie running time give or take 15mins or so (Last Jedi's score as heard in the film is 2hrs 20 for example, and the movie is 2hrs 32). So I'd guess with 135mins written for Rise, and we can probably assume that doesn't include concert suites or truncated album versions of film cues that might be on the CD/download, that would indicate that we probably shouldn't expect anything longer than TLJ for the film's length. 

Yeah, updated my post to reflect that.

My thoughts are it will be the longest of the 9 saga films, probably between 2:35 and 2:45 and I'll most likely be wrong.

I'm hoping we get a giant box set of music in the next few years after Rise, perhaps best produced on a trilogy by trilogy basis as the expanded releases of the classic trilogy from 97 that they keep re-issuing could be improved upon significantly in all sorts of ways, and even expanded upon further.

The prequel stuff is of even more interest as that double Phantom Menace album that came out around 2000 was nothing more than an isolated score as heard in the film, and that score was butchered in editing so it would be amazing to hear the score as Williams intended (I can remember how much of the original music, as it was recorded, was in the old TPM game for PC back in 99. Fans extracted a lot of it to try and piece together bootlegs that were more faithful to the score as written and recorded).

Clones and Sith have yet to have re-issues beyond their original albums, and Clones is of particular interest as a chunk of third act music is thought never to have been recorded as most of the end of EpII is just clumsily tracked with music from Phantom Menace due to the way Lucas was editing the film and how there was nothing to provide Williams for him to even write to. Despite that there is still a lot unreleased.

Sith just needs a really good expansion as there's a lot of great stuff that didn't make the album for that one. I'll be happy just to have that end cue that mixed the Imperial March with the Qui Gon/Padme funeral procession music, bridged by the Force Theme, that accompanies Vader on the Star Destroyer which I LOVE (it was cut out of the Birth of the Twins/Padme's Destiny track on the album where it should have been).

DVD rip: 

:banderas:

Right behind that on Sith cues I desperately want s the music from Palpatine's Darth Plagueis story.

I'm fairly confident Mike Metassino will do it a definitive set of all the scores, expanded and with unused and alternate takes...etc from each of the nine films, but it wouldn't shock me if Disney shove out a collection of the existing albums first as a cash grab. A book about all nine scores would be wonderful too.

Got myself thinking about that Plagueis story scene now. 

Has to be my favourite scene from the prequels. I must admit if Rise had some kind of flashback to show Plagueis' murder I'd consider it quite a treat.

I could see them doing... something, but they’re not suited to do anything near the level of what I am imagining, and it wouldn’t be tied to a niche label like that (at best I could see Mondo re-issues of the most recent wave of Star Wars LP’s, same content and mixing but with unique art).

Mike Metassino’s pretty much headed every recent remaster and expansion of Williams’ catalogue, so it’ll ideally fall to him eventually if Disney do it as I know that he’s keen (and may well already be working on it). I’d be mortified if anyone else was producing such a set.

The final trailer is expected to drop on Monday October 21st during halftime of Monday Night football, Tickets on sale at 8 PM ET.

Run time is rumored at 155 mins.