LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
AlbertA

Guacamelee 2

The first game was great, but I still get the shakes thinking about some of the platforming sections at the end. I’ll probably check this one out at some point though. It looks like it’s an excellent follow-up.

On a related note, I recently played Severed from Drinkbox Studios on iPad. It was really good! Definitely check it out if you have a chance. It’s a great example of an action/adventure game done on a touch screen. It's also on Vita and Switch.

finally got around to playing this one over the past week. I finished it on Friday on Normal difficulty in about 16 hours with 100% map completion and a fully leveled up character. I also managed to reach the good ending thanks to my efforts. Because I did everything there was to do, the final boss battle went something like this:

However, don't go thinking that this is an easy game to finish. It's not. Like the first one, it features many grueling platforming challenges that will test your skills — and your patience. If you want that good ending like I did, Drinkbox wants you to earn it. If anything, the final boss battle felt like a victory lap for all the hard work I did in order to reach that point. Maybe the final boss wasn't hard, but it still felt totally satisfying to kick his ass.

This is the third game I've played by Drinkbox Studios (the other two being Guacamelee! and Severed), and I've come to greatly admire their work. More than anything, I like how they take a game mechanic and iterate on it to the nth degree. It seems like they never run out of ideas, all the way up to the very end of their games. Sometimes you admire their creativity, and sometimes you curse them out because you have no idea how you're ever going to conquer the challenge they set before you. When you do though, it feels so good. When the end credits rolled, I actually clapped. I can't remember the last time I did that for a game.

If I had one complaint — and it's a small one — it's that it may feel too similar to the first. I hadn't played the original Guacamelee! since 2014, but it felt almost like I was playing the same game again, just with different levels. At first, I wasn't sure if Drinkbox added anything new to the sequel. It wasn't until I rewatched the Easy Allies review in the post above that I learned what was added. If they make a third one, I hope that it does more to distinguish it more from the first two — something that makes me go, "Oh, that's different."

So, yes, I'm very glad I played this, and it made me very happy. If you liked the original or enjoy a good Metroidvania, definitely check it out. In the meantime, I will be keeping an eye out for what Drinkbox studios has planned for its next game. They've hit three home runs for me so far, and I can't wait to see what they do next.

• Like 1

I love Metroidvania games, but never took to the art style and theme of this game. Seems too silly, I like my metroidvania dark and serious.  Well, more dark and serious than this.

17 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I love Metroidvania games, but never took to the art style and theme of this game. Seems too silly, I like my metroidvania dark and serious.  Well, more dark and serious than this.

This idiot is shit posting on the style of Guacamelee while,.... on vacation in Mexico!!!

Fuck you! I hope you overdose on watered down pina coladas at an all inclusive and some some maid whose cousin is in a Cartel takes nude pics of you and they black mail you, and then when you pay them they leave you in the desert with only a thong, a rotten banana and one really scuffed peso, so scuffed that it's illegible and can't be used in any shop you manage to drag yourself to! 

Guacamelee is great! You, not so much! 

• Haha 2

Well 2019 was an incredibly busy year for me and I forgot all about this game. 

I originally bought it for the PS4 but I saw it on gamepass so I started playing on the Xbox one X. 

This game so far nails the skill progression curve. I like all the puns and jokes - I can only assume a lot of these maybe lost if you don’t know Spanish - which is surprising as I understand it this was made Canadian white folks :)

Keith if you like Ori you are really missing out on this one.

6 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Keith if you like Ori you are really missing out on this one.

Don't even try. I tried with the OG guac, tried to sell him on the gameplay. Right up his alley, or so you would think. 

He didn't like the theme.

The theme!

eyeroll GIF

9 hours ago, JTello said:

Don't even try. I tried with the OG guac, tried to sell him on the gameplay. Right up his alley, or so you would think. 

He didn't like the theme.

The theme!

eyeroll GIF

There are games that I should like, that I don't end up liking. For some unexplained reason.

1. GTA: I've tried every version, with optimism, and then I give up. It just doesn't click. Everyone loves this frick'n game, but I can't find the fun.
  2. Dark Souls: I tried and retried this over and over and could not find the fun. Side note: eventually I tried and found the fun in Bloodborne and that rolled into Dark Souls 3 being one of my favorite games of all time. But damn did I fail to enjoy the original Dark Souls so many times.
  3. Batman: Arkham Asylum  How can I not like this game. I tried and failed to like it twice. Side note:  I loved Arkham City 
  4. Bioshock 2: I loved the first one but could not get into the second one. Tried to play it three times.
  5. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past: Loved the first and second games and all of the ones since. But I've tried this game like 4 different times and I just quit.
  6. Guacamelee: I love Metroidvania games. I started this up and was put off by the tone, graphics, etc. Certain art styles suck me in, like Bloodborne's and Ori. This one put out my fire. BUT, I will give Guacamelee 2 a try when I'm done with Doom Eternal.  Because like the games above, this does fall into the "I should like this " category. So it deserves another shot.

• Like 1