LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
foogledricks

Dragon Quest 11

Some great reviews popping up on the PS4.  No love?  I haven't played a Japanese RPG since FF7 and haven't played this series since Dragon Warrior 4.  I'm sold.  I think I need a turn based jRPG back in my life.

I posted about it in the PS4 thread :P.

I want it, but I have a couple other JRPGs and God of War to get through. The fact that they’re comparing it to DQ8, which I loved and is my favorite of the series that I played, is a good sign.

• Like 1

I've seen a couple of reviews so far, and they range from glowing to "I think this is good?", so the impression I get is that if you like DQ, you'll like DQ11, but this probably won't make any converts.  I did notice that this is coming to Steam day and date though, and eventually to Switch, but I've got the Steam version wishlisted, and will probably get it when it inevitably goes on sale, assuming word on the PC port is good. 

I actually barely remember DQ8 though, but I did play through it.  I was looking for the 3ds versions a while back, but they've gotten more expensive as copies get harder to find.  I think I spent way more time with 7 though, because job system. 

Between DQ11 and Octopath, that's a lot of JRPG options at the same time.

Yeah, I am going to wait for the Switch version, hoping it will give me time to clear Octopath first. I actually finished 8, which has a really fun story; I loved the job system in 7 but it went on WAY too long.

Oh, I think I finished 8, but other than I think something about a king who got transformed into a toad-monster thing, I remember almost nothing about it. 

Is the switch version a port of the ps4 version, or the 3ds version? 

It LOOKS like the PS4 version - I have seen mention of the delay being based on issues with Unreal 4, so that would indicate the console version.

The king was the main plot. You also had some great characters like Yangus and Jessica, who were really fun as far as NPCs go. And the crafting pot I remember really enjoying...

Sounds familiar, and I do remember something about a crafting pot, but it's been ages.  JRPGs might be one of those things I'm just done with though.  Like I said in another thread-I still haven't finished Bravely Default, and that game was pretty awesome from a JRPG standpoint.  Really innovative systems, some good quality of life improvements, and well defined characters.

• Like 1

They are a stupid time commitment in this day and age. I don’t blame you. I have rarely made it to the end of one and I have a ton of amazing ones half finished right now... Tales of Berseria, Dragon Quest 5, Radiant Historia, Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler (which is the best bits of Bravely with a different cast), etc etc.

And the ones I haven’t even started yet like Alliance Alive and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

And that list is practically an entire year of gaming for me and I can’t just survive on JRPGs sadly. Admiring from afar seems like the safest bet, but when I do dig into one, like the amazing Persona 5 and indeed Octopath (God of War being incredible cannot be stopped), I really love it.

I hope heaven is a recliner, a pizza, and my backlog :P

I remember playing the original Dragon Warrior.  I remember reading a whole Nintendo Power preview on it that blew my mind.  Never been more excited for a videogame.  A new franchise.  A new genre I had never thought of before.  A dragon slaying adventure!  And I finally played it and it did blow my mind. In retrospect the game was so primitive.  Final Fantasy 1 was leaps and bounds better.  But it was the first and I'll never forget the slimes.  Goldman.  Endrick's grave. 

I wish my daughters appreciated role playing games.  They don't have the attention span for them.  I feel like they're missing a big part of life.

I played (and loved) all of the Dragon Warriors, but have never played a Dragon Quest. This one looks really cool, but I'm not sure about the time commitment at this point in my life. I'm still working on the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion and haven't yet started the Uncharted 4 DLC. Sitting down to play video games for long chunks of time is tough when trying to adult on a semi-regular basis, and unfortunately, adulting usually has to win :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jubjub75 said:

I played (and loved) all of the Dragon Warriors, but have never played a Dragon Quest. This one looks really cool, but I'm not sure about the time commitment at this point in my life. I'm still working on the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion and haven't yet started the Uncharted 4 DLC. Sitting down to play video games for long chunks of time is tough when trying to adult on a semi-regular basis, and unfortunately, adulting usually has to win :(

Exactly.  But on the flip side.  I feel I get to play only the best games.  There are millions of people playing mediocre and bad games out there, but I get to play only the very best because I have no time.  It is a blessing.  Appreciate the silver-lining.  

• Like 1

I'm eagerly awaiting this one.  I'm a huge DQ fan and love traditional JRPGs.  And not a huge fan of modern actiony-RPGs.

I'm still working my way through DQ7 on 3ds (modded with Japanese music).  I played DW7 on the PS1 when it came out (on a PS2).  But never quite beat it, because the end boss was kicking my ass over and over and I hate grinding.

Been working through DQ7 on 3DS for almost 2 years now.  It's a long game even with the tweaks they gave it for 3ds.

• Like 1

I've hit that milestone of adulthood where I'm too busy to have fun at night because I'm busying trying to lose weight... and then coming back home to work.  I want to be 16 again...

Finally got this.  Damn they use the same sounds from the original DW.  It is charming.  

The first few hours are sloooow.  Which made me slowly start to hate how primitive this game is.  After playing amazing games like Bloodborne, Divinity,  Breathe of the Wild, Last of Us, and God of War, Xcom 2, Skyrim, and Doom, this game is so lacking polish, gameplay, story, pacing, level design, music, character design, just everything.  

The game seems like what you'd get if the original team of 10 Nintendo DQ 1 developers travelled through time, acquired a PS4 SDK and were tasked with making a 3D DQ game.  Or some one made a 2D-to-3D game converter and just converted DQ 1.

This is an embarrassing game compared to the likes of the games previously mentioned.  That being said, I'm pushing through and sort of enjoying the turn based combat.  Wish it was a little harder.

Switch version is coming later this year and is being billed as the Definitive Edition with several enhancements including a cute retro visual mode.

12 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Glad I waited on it then-looks like the switch version might be the way to go. 

Yeah, it sounds like Square-Enix doesn't have any plans to bring the Definitive Edition enhancements to other platforms here in the west.

I started this because I’m just in the mood for it and have been putting it off forever and... whatever, I probably won’t finish it but figured I’d try it.

First three hours have been great. I love the art, love the character design, soundtrack hasn’t aggravated me and the skill tree is a great addition.

As predicted, everything Keith had negative opinions on I completely disagree with. Pacing is great, they keep it moving, encourage exploration, lots of zippy bits. I’ve actually wanted MORE combat - the pep system is a fun addition and the horse being able to blast low level enemies out of your way is smart.

I’ve always like the series and this is aggressively retro with some nice modern touches. Hopefully I’ll put a good few hours in before I get distracted because so far it’s just what a JRPG should be.

It's one of my favorite games of all time now. It ranks up there with Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest VIII for me.

It's the third PS4 game I've ever got platinum on.

• Like 1

DQ8 is definitely my favorite DQ to this point, so this high esteem from you on 11 definitely makes me want to keep at it...

That's pretty high praise!  I'll probably get this on the Switch later this year, since by all accounts that's going to be the definitive version of the game.  Unless, of course, the extra stuff all comes to the Steam release...

Maaaan, I missed that note about character stories. Might be putting the breaks on this so I can re-buy on Switch :).