LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
foogledricks

Dragon Quest 11

I will happily re-buy this game on Switch given that the base game is amazing and there's going to be additional content of substance.

On 5/26/2019 at 12:06 PM, Mark E said:

As predicted, everything Keith had negative opinions on I completely disagree with. 

You are liking this game out of spite.

I always wanted to love this game.  Very disappointed that I didn't. 

I've since played Octopath Traveler and love it.  I dunno, some games hit the g-spot.  Some do not.  Mark apparently has g-spots everywhere.

• Haha 2

Loved this game when I played it, loved it.

I’d have stuck with it had I not been in the midst of the Zelda thing and then started to tuck into the Trails series.

I'll probably grab this, although I was also looking at the android ports of DQ 5-8 just now and thinking of getting those.  It should be noted that I have a few of these on DS/3DS and haven't finished them there, so this would be a double (triple?) dip, but it might help to have it on a device that I have with me all the time.  Not sure how well the UI works though.  Might just wait until the next play store sale?

I’m definitely charmed by this one. The cute enemies and the West Country accents are amusing. It’s going to be a while until I can afford to buy the full game, unlikely before the end of the year, but your demo save carries over.

It runs pleasantly enough on Switch (to my eyes anyway). Obviously it’s not as visually polished as the other versions, and the frame rate stumbles as times but that’s hardly shocking. The art direction lends itself quite well to the visual downgrade. I was playing docked.

I wrapped up the main story earlier today at about the 85 hour mark. I didn't do many of the Tickington things (I did a couple and got annoyed with the 2D-ness of it; and this coming from a guy who played the first three on the NES back in the day). Overall, I really enjoyed it, but I have a couple complaints about backtracking in the game. There was a few too many instances of "Go to town A and talk to X. Then go back to where you just were and talk to Y. Now you have to go back to town A again to collect object F from person Z and then return to where you started." Those parts got a little frustrating, but overall I really enjoyed the story. I wish it had been a little more difficult, though. I think I only died once the whole way through, and even during the final boss fight, I never really felt threatened. I did have a lot of fun with it, though, and thought it played really well on the Switch.

Are there any talks of them porting DQ8 to the Switch? I've never played that one, and have heard great things, but am happy to wait if they are working on it. If not, which is the best version to play?

Well, I found out there is more after the credits :)

Another 15 hours and I wrapped up everything I want to at the 100.5 hour mark. I still didn't do all of the Tickington things and didn't finish all of the challenges for the High Llama, but I was ready to wrap it up and am happy with having beat the last boss (who was MUCH tougher than the rest of the game!!).

Now that I wrapped this up, I've moved on to Octopath Traveler, but that's for a different thread!

On 3/8/2020 at 6:18 PM, jubjub75 said:

Are there any talks of them porting DQ8 to the Switch? I've never played that one, and have heard great things, but am happy to wait if they are working on it. If not, which is the best version to play?

Not sure if it'll come to the switch, but it did end up on 3ds.  Not sure about how the mobile versions of the DQ games hold up, but I think they're all on Android as well.

• Like 1

Square needs to release the Definitive Edition content on the PS4. Its a bit slimey that they haven’t as of yet. Specifically with it hitting the Xbox now. I may end up buying it again physical on the Xbox and offloading my PS4 version if not. I had no desire to play it on the Switch.

I'll definitely play it on Xbox. I loved the Switch demo but never got round to buying it due to other games. 

Hopefully the PS4 release gets patched in December. 

Glad I held off on buying the switch version-December is a ways off, but if it's going to be on GamePass, I'll wait. 

Now...PC version as well with cross save? 

Yeah, this is literally a SWITCH port. It's not the higher assets used in the PS4 version with the added stuff from the Switch. It literally uses the lesser Switch assets.

1Mzu95E.png 

PS4:

EdodGAJXYAAU2xm?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Switch:

EdoeVXdWAAAuLpI?format=png&name=large

15 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Now...PC version as well with cross save? 

The Kotaku story says both PC and Xbox, but I don't remember seeing that in the video.  Wonder if it's the same as the PC version on Steam?

This version is also coming to PS4 and Windows 10:

EdnuxkFWoAEo5hk?format=jpg&name=large

So they're really going to re-release a lesser version visually on PS4 with the added content instead of patching in the added content? Ok, Square.

How much can we take from comparisons images like that? The shot of them running through the field is in the Xbox trailer and the volume to the flower heads is similar to that of PS4. Other textures looks, like the rocks, don't look as nice as they do in the PS4 image however.

8 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

How much can we take from comparisons images like that? The shot of them running through the field is in the Xbox trailer and the volume to the flower heads is similar to that of PS4. Other textures looks, like the rocks, don't look as nice as they do in the PS4 image however.

You don't have to take anything from those images. Just read the response to the question. The Switch port is a solid port but its unquestionably a downgrade visually from the original PS4 version. Just go watch the Digital Foundry episode on it. The fact that they are outright forcing PS4 owners to rebuy the game entirely is a fucking joke and where most of my issues lie here.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Romier S said:

You don't have to take anything from those images. Just read the response to the question. The Switch port is a solid port but its unquestionably a downgrade visually from the original PS4 version. Just go watch the Digital Foundry episode on it. The fact that they are outright forcing PS4 owners to rebuy the game entirely is a fucking joke and where most of my issues lie here.

This what I do to companies that do this stuff...

peter dinklage middle finger GIF

• Bravo 1

5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

This what I do to companies that do this stuff...

peter dinklage middle finger GIF

Yep. I won't be spending a dime on any other version of this game for that very reason. I regret even buying it on the PS4 at this point to begin with. I said it was slimey as fuck in the chat and well, they went and proved me even more right.