LCVG

Animal Crossing: New Horizons [Switch]

Angry the Clown

That’s good. I was wondering what the patch was earlier.  

They didn’t replace nuts incidentally, they simply spawn where you otherwise might get branches or wood from trees, or stones, gold, clay...etc from rocks. It was really fishing where it was worst affected though as from rocks and trees you’d still get the traditional finds alongside an egg in most instances. With the fish, there was literally no point casting to catch a medium sized fish as you were 99.99% likely to get an egg instead. 

Speaking of trees, don’t forget one of the easy ways to make bells is to find glowing nuggets in the ground. Dig it up and you’ll likely get around 1000 bells, but don’t patch up the hole. Instead, deposit up to 10,000 back into the hole and wait a few days and you’ll grow a one time money tree that triples the amount you buried (so bury 10k and you’ll be able to shake it down for 30k once it has grown).

From my experience you can have three money tress growing at any one time. You can also dig them up and replant them if you so desire (before you shake them for money. Again, they will only reward you once).

A friend of mine on Facebook recently lamented the overabundance of “Easter Eggs” in this game, and I couldn’t tell if he was talking about in-jokes and references to other things or actual Easter Eggs. 

I think I know now.

• 2 weeks later...

Let’s just say it’s doing well.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons launch sales surpass any Mario or Zelda in U.S.

Mike Minotti, reporting for VentureBeat:

New Horizons launched March 20 for Switch, in the midst of the coranavirus pandemic. In that month in the U.S., it has already become the best-selling entry in the franchise’s history. It’s also the country’s third-best launch for any Nintendo game ever, following Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (also for Switch) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which came out for the Wii). New Horizons is also already the No. 2 best-selling in the U.S. for the year. It is only behind Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Keep in mind that these numbers do not include digital sales form the eShop.

It’s hardly surprising the game has sold gangbusters given the popularity of Switch as a platform, the long build-up to the game, and the circumstances in which it launched.

It’s a real delight. I can’t quite pinpoint why I put a little time in every day. Pure comfort I suspect, and I’ve got a great bunch of villagers. The humour and self-awareness of the series is stronger than ever too. 

I don’t even mind the breakable crafting tools all that much, though I do wish the menus had an option to craft multiple items in one go (turning clams into fish food individually every time is a chore for example). I wish you could re-locate the Town Hall too. That’s the only building you can’t request to move. I’d also like to join in with villagers when they do yoga or sing, or just be able to sit on the grass with them beneath a tree.

I think for me, more than anything, it’s turned out to be a calming landscape gardening sim with the new terrain features, so I’m really keen about the addition of more nature and greenery related content coming tomorrow. 

Yes indeed, once the sun goes down he’s wide awake (usually reading). I like waking him up though as I love the long “hooooooooooo!?!” noise he makes when you disturb his sleep.

Redd appeared today and sold me some art which I gave to Blathers, so now he’s going to expand the museum. You have to be careful with Redd apparently. I’d assume the first thing he sells you will always be legit so you can trigger the museum expansion, but he will also sell forgeries in future.

My Nook shop upgraded today. There’s a 63,000 bell  arcade fighting game cabinet on sale that I simply have to have. 😆

I also encountered my first challenge to convince a visitor to move in this morning. Mitzi was at the camp site and I was excited as I don’t have a cat villager and I know she’s quite a popular character, but she voluntarily resisted moving in after the usual conversation where you invite an animal to stay. Persisting with talking to her made her start wanting to play card games, so I ended up having multiple tries to get her to change her mind and finally I won.

I’m so happy to now have shrubs and hedges. I wonder if Leif will move to town someday and establish a garden centre? Since the Nooks still sell greenery items I suspect he’ll just remain a travelling visitor. There are definitely hints that we can expect more shops in future though apparently.

I really want to focus on layout and landscaping. Still wish you could move the town hall, but oh well. I’ll figure something out. It really is a relief that you don’t have to pay something every time you do work with the terrain and path tools.

Visited my first non-mystery island today! Unfortunately, my buddy had a bare island with 3 tents, including his own. Nothing else. Didn't even have a shovel or vaulting pole yet.

He did have fucking cherries, or would have cherries if all of his trees hadn't been stripped bare like a swarm of locusts visited just before me.

Then he visited my shitty island and I gifted him some bells and we visited the museum.

The whole of two visits netted basically nothing for us (although he did get coconuts, peaches, pears and bamboo from me), but it was fun! What an entertaining non-game.

Just sold all of my fruit, but will have a replenish in a couple of days. Add 5340-2466-5039. If i', online before 7pm CST i try and keep my island open for visitors. By no means am I far along, but i like that this game doesn't really have any real goal or endgame to it beyond what you want to make of it.

9 hours ago, Orpheus said:

By no means am I far along, but i like that this game doesn't really have any real goal or endgame to it beyond what you want to make of it.

Once you have done enough to unlock the key elements, which I guess all occurs in the first ten hours of play, then yes it’s perhaps fair to say that there’s no longer any actual objective really.

It is generally, as the series has always been, just a very relaxing, calming and carefree experience. It’s the videogame equivalent of a comfort blanket I suppose. It’s a charming distraction at the best of times. In the times we’re living in right now, that value is amplified ten fold.  

I’ll likely ease off playing quite so much once I am happier with my island design. I need to keep hoping for good returns on Turnips as often adjustments I’d like to make, like moving infrastructure, can be costly and I’d like to have bells to burn at short notice. The terrain tools and other custom options really do take me back to my landscaping obsessions in games like Planet Coaster and Cities Skylines. Even though the tools here are modest, they’re satisfying enough. The grid system is really the only pain as you can’t always align things the way you want (I haven’t been able to precisely align a stone bridge with the entrance to the museum for example).

One factor that keeps people playing is wanting to get a good band of villagers, but I seem to have been really lucky with all the ones I’ve naturally acquired. The only one I’d let go is Chadder, a mouse, who’s fine but he’s a smug class villager and I already have one of those in the form of Henry the frog (who is uniquely amazing. I love him), so there’s a bit of personality overlap between the two.

I also really love the small level of educational value you get from Blathers sharing little facts about insects, fish and fossils. The gallery section now takes this even further with little placards beside each display that have a detailed paragraph about the history of what you’re looking at. For kids in particular that’s an amazing way to teaching them something without knowing they’re being taught, but even for adults it’s great being fed little bits of trivia.

Being able to take a close look at the artworks aboard Redd’s boat to see if you can identify forgeries is such a cute touch too (for example, when I played yesterday he had da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man on display, only on close inspection you could see it had coffee cup stain on it. Likewise he had Vermeer’s Girl with a Pearl Earring, only the earring was not a pearl).

Got a gift card for Amazon today so grabbed Animal Crossing (digital) so will be playing this later. Never played an AC game before but, this looks so relaxing ive been itching to play it. Too stressful at work and everything lately so I think this will be a nice alternative game for me. 

So, any code sites or anything I should know? A new players starting guide or anything you guys would recommend?

Animal Crossing World Is a good news/tips resource. Good Twitter feed too. I find it especially useful for prompts about when certain fish and bugs are going away at the end of each month.

https://animalcrossingworld.com/

This is a great collection of user made clothing (you need Sable and Mable to open their store first, then you can use the codes here):

There’s really not a whole lot to know that the game doesn’t tell you, really. I’d maybe say that for future reference get a feel for the size of your island and the knowledge that you will be able to fill in or expand rivers...etc when you first come to find locations for your two starter villagers tents, and Blathers’ tent (takes a day or two for Blathers to want to visit but Tom Nook will tell you when). You can move those things later, but for a fee, so if you can do some mental town planning ahead of time then it may save you bells.

I’m finding this very relaxing so far which is exactly what I wanted. Very “casual” in a good way and I like the simple, little tasks they give you. I’m surprised at some of the humor as it’s better than I thought and it’s almost sickly-cute about some things :) I was also surprised at how good it looks too. 

• Angry the Clown changed the title to Animal Crossing: New Horizons [Switch]