LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Sony announce the PlayStation Classic for Dec 2018

The guy that runs the Patton Plays YouTube channel (he’s done most of the Hackchi walkthroughs for the NES and SNES classics) says he’s been in touch with the current Hackchi devs and they are definitely going to be looking at hacking the PS Classic. So any day now lol.

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Did anyone get one? Or did the bad games and poor emulation scare everyone off?

Skipped until I see how the hacking scene looks. I saw them around today so it doesn’t seem like they’ll be super tough to find.

So it looks like hooking up a USB Keyboard and then pressing Esc will get you into the emulation options, where you can force NTSC on the PAL titles etc:

• Like 2

One of the DF guys over at Era:

”PS Classic requires a Corsair K70 keyboard, a candle lit bath, a 1960 Bordeaux and some the finest oils to access the developer menu. Very specific set of rules before it opens itself up. It is called classy for a reason.”

:lawl

• Haha 2

Also from Era:

Gamekult just tried to enable the framerate settings and such, and the result is like this:
- most of the settings don't work, including the NTSC one
- games still run like trash with everything on
- scanlines do work though
- you can potentially plug in a compatible mouse to play Rainbow Six with (but why would anyone do that)
- they used a Corsair Raptor K50 keyboard to work it with

So unless you want to get into a screaming match on the phone with Amazon, they aren’t just going to refund you the difference. My wife literally ordered this for me for X-Mas three days ago and I had to get to a supervisor to do an “exception” for me because I’ve been a Prime member since ‘03. That’s after dealing with an agent who barely spoke English and a Chat rep who put nothing but canned responses about Amazon’ “fuck you we don’t price match even if it’s our own site” policy.

Amazon’s customer service has really gone to shit. 😕 The expectation that your are going to put the onus on the customer to package up a product, ship it back while reordering the same product at a lower price on your own website instead of just processing a $25 refund is astounding.

• WTF 1

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

So unless you want to get into a screaming match on the phone with Amazon, they aren’t just going to refund you the difference. My wife literally ordered this for me for X-Mas three days ago and I had to get to a supervisor to do an “exception” for me because I’ve been a Prime member since ‘03. That’s after dealing with an agent who barely spoke English and a Chat rep who put nothing but canned responses about Amazon’ “fuck you we don’t price match even if it’s our own site” policy.

Amazon’s customer service has really gone to shit. 😕 The expectation that your are going to put the onus on the customer to package up a product, ship it back while reordering the same product at a lower price on your own website instead of just processing a $25 refund is astounding.

I agree with this.  But since they pay shipping, I have tons of packing material at my warehouse and it takes me like 3 minutes to pack it up.  I know not everyone has that though.  I can package it up better than Amazon does. 

I believe I'm going to do this.

Edit:  So they aren't paying shipping but I still come out way ahead.

34 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I agree with this.  But since they pay shipping, I have tons of packing material at my warehouse and it takes me like 3 minutes to pack it up.  I know not everyone has that though.  I can package it up better than Amazon does. 

I believe I'm going to do this.

Edit:  So they aren't paying shipping but I still come out way ahead.

Packaging isn’t a really big deal for me either. I could do it from work at no cost, etc. it’s the core reality of stringent policy overriding common sense/reasonability. It’s $25 bucks. I manage an entire technical services department for my company. I’d lose it if I heard one of my techs quibbling over $25 with a customer. That’s not even worth a discussion for my little 60 million dollar business much less a multi-billion dollar company like Amazon! 

I know you said you agreed. I’m just fleshing out my thoughts on it.

• Like 2

On the good news front, Patton has his walkthrough of how to add games using Bleemcast to the PS Classic.

It’s only a matter of time until Retroarch is an easy addition (since it’s already up and running) and with it comes a better emulator and front end.

• Like 2

Now that I work for Amazon I can say management takes their 1-star reviews pretty seriously - so if you want to encourage change I would go that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlbertA said:

Now that I work for Amazon I can say management takes their 1-star reviews pretty seriously - so if you want to encourage change I would go that way.

Already done and I also hit them on Twitter as well. Thanks for the heads up though.

Folders working!

Right now if you’re using the Bleemcast hack, you would only get the list of games on the USB drive and not the originals.

12 hours ago, Romier S said:

I think is has been going on for awhile, and if I remember correctly, I had the same issue about a year and a half ago with something I bought. I thought it was going to be an easy refund of the difference, but the rep told me they couldn’t do anything.

So I finally received the Classic over the weekend and spent some time with it. It’s every bit as bad as the reviews have said it is. If it wasn’t for the hacking scene ramping up, I would have skipped it all together and frankly that feeling is renforced after actually experiencing the lackluster, pure cash grab effort put into the unit.

There are two stories here really. There’s the story of the hardware itself which is superb. The mini PlayStation is beautiful. Pure nostalgia, it feels premium, the specs are excellent and the controllers are fantastic reproductions. Sony went all out on the hardware and packaging front.

......and then you turn it on.

The menu is simple and the carousel selection is fine. Complain as you will but it’s a straightforward and simple interface that I don’t have an issue with. What I do have a problem with is the complete lack of settings. No border options (I wouldn’t use them anyway but they should be here!), no scanline filter to speak of either. That’s an incredible omission given the way these games were designed to be displayed. I knew it coming in but I’m still floored by the fact that it’s nit included considering the fucking emulator supports it!

Thats not even the most egregious problem. No, I’m not going to bother mentioning the PAL roms. We know they are there and a problem already. No, it’s the absolutely horrid video output of the thing that deserves the greatest disdain. It appears that they have enabled some kind of bilinear filter that completely smudges the shit out of the visuals. It’s like turning on one of those 2xSai shaders in an emulator that makes proper 2D pixel work look like a fucking pastel drawing. It’s gross and shows that Sony didn’t give a proper fuck about displaying these games as intended. It really makes you appreciate the care Nintendo put into something like the SNES Classic. A system that handles its video output extremely well and shows those games off in proper 720p with correct integer scaling and actual interpolation implemented to help keep edges smooth while scrolling (an enhancement over the NES Classic). Not to mention a CRT filter (which can be massively improved by hacking the console) and a proper 8:7 pixel perfect option.

Instead, we get one of the fugliest video outputs I’ve seen on these mini consoles. I popped in the original Resident Evil through my PS2 and Framemeister at 720p with no other frills and it’s night and day in comparison to the PS Classic. Retroarch and an updated version of PSXReArmed will go a long way to fixing these problems but it shouldn’t require the hacker commiunity to fix Sony not getting even the most basic shit right.

So yeah, this thing is a disaster. Sony should be ashamed of releasing a product that even the likes of ATGames would scoff at from a software and video output perspective. This should have been a celebration of one of the greatest gaming platforms to ever exist. This should have been an easy slam dunk with even a little effort and pride from the folks who worked on this. Instead Sony earns the shameless cash grab moniker for this one. Thank goodness the hacker community will save this thing but hacking it and adding titles/features should have been the icing, not the actual cake.:/

• Like 2

If the hacking scene can get it so I can wipeout pretty much everything loaded onto the system and I can use the 16GB to make my own PlayStation Classic without any USB drives (unless I want to for additional storage), I will get one of these just for the replica controller and hardware.