LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action TV Series)

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

The opening and closing credits are the least important part of the movie. And because film makers know this, they sometimes, but rarely try to creatively spruce them up.  In recent years Marvel is famous for adding actual content in there that is interesting. But 99% o the time the closing credits cause everyone to get up and leave the theater.  Or at home they exit button and move onto the next thing.

I accept Marvel's implementation of a gimmick to get people talking, which is fine, not that they were the first to do end and post credit scenes mind you. As a credit lover they kind of bug me, particularly now that everyone expects them. The best in credit entertainment I always felt was to be found in the old Zucker and Abrahams spoofs like Naked Gun...etc (my favourites are probably the ones for the Hot Shots movies. There's a baked goods recipe in the credits for the first one amongst other things).

I've always loved end credits. My love of film music as a kid likely kickstarted my interest in sticking around for them, and in doing so I'd learn the names of all the production departments and jobs, and consequently over time I'd begin recognising certain names from film to film. I also have an interest in seeing where films were made. Above all else it's a nice chance to take a breather and reflect on what I watched. 

I guess as long as you can make them full screen if you really want to watch them, then it is win-win for everyone. 

I would prefer a simple option in settings to disable 'skip intro' and  whatever to stop the credits being minimised. That'd be the real win-win. I don't mind these things being the default, but at least give some of us the option to disable them outright. They're still free to throw a splash screen ad for something else to watch right after the credits are completely over.

One of the only gags I remember from The Simpsons Movie was a commercial pop up that randomly appears along the bottom of the frame during one scene in the middle of the film. Sometimes I wonder how much closer we're getting to that becoming a reality with these streaming platforms.

Opening credits are their own separate issue. Because I'm often asked to fast-forward through them by my kids.  Rarely are they designed by the screenwriter as part of the story. They're empty space shoved in front of the actual movie, designed and created by someone other than the actual story teller.  They're garbage.

Done well, they can help set the tone for what you're about to watch. Fincher is very good with his opening title sequences for example, just as he is equally good at knowing when not to bother having title sequences at all and jump right in with little beyond flashing contractually obligated credits on screen (as he opted to do with Gone Girl and Social Network). I've no problem with a filmmaker indulging in such things if they wan't to use the opportunity effectively. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Done well, they can help set the tone for what you're about to watch. Fincher is very good with his opening title sequences for example, just as he is equally good at knowing when not to bother having title sequences at all and jump right in with little beyond flashing contractually obligated credits on screen (as he opted to do with Gone Girl and Social Network). I've no problem with a filmmaker indulging in such things if they wan't to use the opportunity effectively. 

Yeah, I'd say that the guy who makes lemonaid out of lemons isn't validating the existence of lemons. 

Feel free to all stick that in your signatures. Free of charge.

When I watch a film, I watch a film. Not just the bits Keith likes. 

though I must admit, there are times when I wonder whether they do this rubbish just so anyone who treats filmmakers with respect will go for the more profit-raising disc purchase. 

Just a handful to throw on the trash heap. 

To try and steer back to topic, the concept art parts of the Mandalorian end titles that they do show before minimising them are a lovely touch, but does tend to further highlight treating viewers as idiots as if their reaction would genuinely go from "ooh, pretty pictures!" to "argh... words and names! shrink it! shrink it!". 

I know it should be an option to just turn that off, but I have gotten trained by all of the streaming services to just move the highlight back over to the minimized credit sequence and hit Ok/Enter/Whatever to bring them back to full-size for the duration.

Problem is because they keep playing when minimised you miss some of them, so have to rewind, and anything that makes me have to use the AppleTV remote longer than necessary only infuriates me further. 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 5:03 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Problem is because they keep playing when minimised you miss some of them, so have to rewind, and anything that makes me have to use the AppleTV remote longer than necessary only infuriates me further. 🙂

Don't even get me started on that fucking abomination of a remote...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Caught up with episode 3. I really like the influence of old westerns on this series, right down to the often lumbering pacing of it all.

Try watching Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More in middle of the season like we did. It was awesome!

• Like 1

The Western influence on the show I love. The video game one, where you have to sit through a lumpen bit of backstory and leaden product shots of his new upgrade every time he completes a fetch quest, rather less so.