LCVG

Microsoft announces Project xCloud - Public beta in 2019

9 hours ago, Magness said:

I hope they revise the policy again to be more inclusive. Stuff like SteamLink works so well on iPad they need to get these services working and not “feature crippled” on iOS. 

I really wonder whether, between this and Epic, people start abandoning ios.  Apple likes to talk about the value of their ecosystem, but part of that value is the applications and services that people bring to it. 

I'm actually kind of amazed that part of those TOS isn't also that you're not allowed to offer an enhanced experience on other platforms, which would "unfairly disadvantage" ios users. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got in! I loaded it up just to see it because I didn’t have my Xbox One controller here, but then decided to see if the DS4 would work and it does!

There are 10,000 places open those in the US, Canada and the UK to test Xcloud on iOS devices. The trial game will be the Master Chief Collection.   https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-stre

Wow, what a shit show, Apple. Way to screw that up.

7 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

I really wonder whether, between this and Epic, people start abandoning ios.  Apple likes to talk about the value of their ecosystem, but part of that value is the applications and services that people bring to it. 

I'm actually kind of amazed that part of those TOS isn't also that you're not allowed to offer an enhanced experience on other platforms, which would "unfairly disadvantage" ios users. 

I want to abandon ios. When next i get a phone, if there are good options, I’m going android for sure.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

I want to abandon ios. When next i get a phone, if there are good options, I’m going android for sure.

There are plenty.  I've had no major problems with either of the Samsungs I've had.  On an s10+ now, and it's great. 

11 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

I can only speak for myself, but I think it would take a lot more than the absence of cloud streaming platforms for me to abandon my iPad and iPhone. 

Rightly, Microsoft's response is "thanks but no thanks"

From The Verge:

“This remains a bad experience for customers,” says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. “Gamers want to jump directly into a game from their curated catalog within one app just like they do with movies or songs, and not be forced to download over 100 apps to play individual games from the cloud. We’re committed to putting gamers at the center of everything we do, and providing a great experience is core to that mission.”

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/11/21433071/microsoft-apple-app-store-rules-xcloud-game-streaming-xbox-game-pass

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JFo said:

I can only speak for myself, but I think it would take a lot more than the absence of cloud streaming platforms for me to abandon my iPad and iPhone. 

Oh, I didn't say my decision has anything to do with gaming. It was just a convenient moment for me to say I am not an Apple fan, and my experiment of switching from Android to Apple is now over. While I really liked my iPhone X, in particular its snappiness, my many experiences with Apple support along with little stupid things like the inability to customize notification sounds and Apples stingy way it doesn't allow apps like Dropbox to perform background processes without jumping through hoops, are pushing me back to Android for this next revolution. 

I feel that so many people irrationally love Apple, that I'm doing God's good work by counterbalancing with irrational hate for Apple.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Remote Play streaming from an Xbox console was added to the Android app a few days ago and is coming in the next iOS update soon. 

Even though they cannot currently add the XCloud streaming to iOS, I am glad to see this being added. 

31 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Remote Play streaming from an Xbox console was added to the Android app a few days ago and is coming in the next iOS update soon. 

Even though they cannot currently add the XCloud streaming to iOS, I am glad to see this being added. 

Same. I’m actually more interested in streaming games from my Xbox at home to my iOS devices (and maybe even my Mac) than I am in streaming games from the cloud.

And yet still no support to stream XCloud games to a PC...  I was curious to try out a couple of things in Flight Simulator (mostly to check out some of the 3d models and try to do things like land a plane in my backyard), so I installed it the other day.  Went to boot it up, and then got prompted with "Hi, we need to download 102 GB of data".  If there was ever a case for cloud gaming, this is it!

Worst part there is that I don't even mind the download size as much as it not being part of the actual base install.  Rather the background download update, it does it once you launch the game, which also happens to be much more resource-intensive than a simple downloader, so doing something else with the PC while it's running isn't really feasible. 

Of course, flight simulator isn't available on console, and they don't stream PC games yet, but still, I want to use my PC as a streaming target (and hell, my Xbox soon enough).  Hopefully it gets rolled out soon!

• Like 1

Chris - don’t minimise the download window on MSFS. They said that they improved it in the first patch, but at least when I was running it (there’s a multi post rambling stress rant over in the appropriate thread) it’s doing “something” stupid with the GPU such that while visible it’s using about 20% on my box, but if I minimise it the frame rate unlocks and the thing cooks itself. Loads of people on release day complained that the thing was crashing the OS during the download, and I’m convinced they’re all on boxes that don’t have effective heat management for this problem. 

leave it open and running behind another window and you can do other stuff, though. 

also, watch your download speed - I managed to max out my connection just fine once I’d figured there was an issue with the one Cloudflare node it had assigned me to and blackholed the appropriate DNS entry, forcing it to another. 

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft told employees it plans to release a browser-based app for the Xbox Game Pass streaming service next year that will get around Apple App Store rules: 'We absolutely will end up on iOS'

Ashley Stewart, Business Insider:

Microsoft's gaming boss Phil Spencer told employees at an all-hands meeting on Wednesday the company is planning to bring Game Pass to Apple's iPhone and iPad, targeting 2021 for the potential release of a "direct browser-based solution," Business Insider has learned.

"We absolutely will end up on iOS," Spencer told employees, according to two people with direct knowledge of his comments. Microsoft did not comment at the time of publication. Apple has not yet responded to a request for comment.

When news broke that Microsoft couldn’t get xCloud on iOS through the App Store because of Apple’s policies, I wondered to myself if this was a route they could take. Apple doesn’t place any restrictions on web apps, so it could be a decent way of getting xCloud to iOS users. A native app would be better of course, but I suppose we Apple fans have to take whatever we get at this point.

• Like 1