LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Netflix developing The Witcher TV series

More casting news. 

Freya Allan has been cast as Ciri..

comment_PhreRiAovoBVjCArTK8TxdZjZEINpNXX 

685-0-1493401637.png 

Anya Chalotra has been cast as Yennefer.

1538760240430-600x400.jpg?x70969 

mrwnbQA.png

Though keep in mind that the show is based on the books and are set before the games which is why they are skewing quite young on the casting front for these female characters. Curious if they are casting for Triss as well.

It looked like he only had the one sword in that trailer.  Never read any of the books though, or made it through the first two games actually, so was the steel/silver thing something that came up in the witcher 3? 

On 7/22/2019 at 12:23 AM, ChrisBardon said:

It looked like he only had the one sword in that trailer.  Never read any of the books though, or made it through the first two games actually, so was the steel/silver thing something that came up in the witcher 3? 

Don’t confuse the games for the books. In the books, Geralt rarely travels with both swords on his person. More often than not, the silver sword is stashed on the side of his horse, Roach. The silver sword will definitely be there and Geralt finally using it will be a big moment much like his demonic appearance after ingesting some Witcher potions for that fight in the trailer.

I like stories with good characters and the people who make trailers never emphasize the characters.  It is always the flash.  I've learned not to be too rash in my reaction to trailers that do this because there might actually be good characters and dialog.  I wish trailers like this would give me more to latch onto but I know it is hard to create trailers that do that.  But I wish the main character projected more than just a Conan the Barbarian vibe.

Man they totally nailed this! The look/feel is perfect and incorporates the books/games beautifully. Cavill is freakin Geralt, man. The voice, the dry wit and brutality. There’s a whole lot of world building and setup in the first episode which comes off as really dense but I *thoroughly* enjoyed watching them bring the “Lesser Evil” and the often mentioned in the games “Butcher of Blavekin” to life. 

Super excited to see more.

• Like 1

Four episodes in. This show ROCKS! Maybe it’s cause I’m such a huge fan of the games but it’s hitting on all cylinders for me.

Understand that things that are happening are not happening in sequence. You’ll quickly realize that Yennefer’s origin is very much not  same timeframe as Geralt’s adventures (and neither is in the same time frame as Ciri) but it’s one of the strongest elements of the show. Anya Chalotra is a damned Star in the making. She’s just top to bottom fantastic as Yen! Her eventual enchantment in episode 3 is a sight to behold.

Episode 3 is a full hour version of the opening cinematic to the original Witcher game. Part of what I love about the show is seeing some of the stories mentioned in passing in the game or perhaps those shown in a quick cinematic brought to life.

I also love the casting for Dandelion and Triss (yay!).

The look/feel is on point, the politics and machinations are underpinning the overall adventure story and they even worked in the racism towards the elves and other fantasy creatures. 

Short and sweet: I’m loving it.

• Like 1

Episode 6 is really, really good. Cavill finally gets some material to work with and develop Geralt, the Ciri storyline progresses nicely and Yen keeps owning every damn scene. This is the episode where the show is totally on its footing.

Finished. You can see where the show is budget limited when it tries to do a bigger set piece but they do a pretty nice job of it overall. The season just got better and better as it progressed and we see some nice arch’s completed for the three leads. As I said, Yennefer is the star of the show and Anya Chalotra deserves some serious accolades for her portrayal. She owns every scene she’s in and just lights up the screen with her sheer beauty. She will make you hate her, love her, feel sorry for her, pine for her and be downright disgusted at her apathy and two seconds later sympathize with those feelings. The rest of the main cast is generally very good. Even Cavill who doesn’t really get to flex his acting muscles until later in the show. Otherwise he’s a grunting cipher but then Geralt is meant to go through a bit of a transformation post-Yennefer.

The show will be unfairly compared to Game of Thrones but it’s quite different in some key ways. It shares some visual similarities but otherwise it feels like a bigger budget Hercules (in a good way!). I really enjoyed the hell out of it and will definitely jump in immediately when Season 2 hits. I hope this gets a nice long run as there are a lot of opportunities for storytelling between the books and the games (which are unofficial sequels).

• Like 2

That was terrific, s2 can not be released quick enough. If you have never read the books or played the games it does

not matter. The entire cast is great.

Well the good news is the Witcher in a week was already the second most watched streaming show of the year. Netflix dont fuck this up.

• Like 1

Working my way through it. Not impressed by Cavill though his limited range seems well suited to the character.

Wish the show used some location tags and the third episode was disjointed with the unannounced time jumps back and forth. 

Show is interesting enough to watch but it's not must see material. 

The sets and costumes are great but everything is too pristine and lacks a lived in feeling so they look really do look like just sets and costumes.

The sets and costumes are great but everything is too pristine and lacks a lived in feeling so they look really do look like just sets and costumes.

I strongly agree with this point. It all looks laughably bad. As if it's a super low budget affair (despite that not being the case at all).

I think this is more of a miss in terms of bad cinematography. The use of direct lighting ends up showcasing the sets instead of providing the illusion of being in another world. It's very amateurish in look.