LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angel P

Films - Watched and thoughts 2019

6 hours ago, AlbertA said:

I didn’t like the Joker as a movie. Great performance by Joaquin Phoenix though

I didn't see it, but was exactly my expectation.  Not a movie for me, but he looks to be doing great in the role.

I also have a small fear that some psycho fan(s) will be inspired by this movie,  god I hope that this never comes to pass.

I didn't particularly like the Joker either, and it's definitely not a movie to "enjoy". It's a dark character study about mental illness, what's to enjoy? For all the great performances, it seemed empty, hollow, and unnecessary. 

10 hours ago, dogbert said:

I didn't particularly like the Joker either, and it's definitely not a movie to "enjoy". It's a dark character study about mental illness, what's to enjoy? For all the great performances, it seemed empty, hollow, and unnecessary. 

That's too bad.  I’m one of those people who watch movies for enjoyment.

Detective Pikachu - Cute! Fun to see these creatures roaming around familiar East London locations. The film owes a small debt to Roger Rabbit that I had not anticipated. It’s a pity things don’t stick to the course of the first act as there seems like so many fun and amusing possibilities to explore when it comes to humans and Pokemon living in a city together, but as a whole it’s still very enjoyable and the two young leads are very good.

Nice UHD disc too. I really like that it was shot on film as the texture really helps blend in the (excellent) CG and animation.

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie - Absolutely fantastic! This movie is a masterpiece, tense and gripping,  seamlessly switching between flashbacks and the main plot, and framed with some beautiful Breaking-Bad style cinematography. It really delivers. 

I give it  5 out of 5 roof pizzas.

Carlos. 

• Like 3

Super solid adaptation of Doctor Sleep

Beautifully acted and directed. 

Need another viewing and some time to let it percolate before I make a final call. 

Definitely in my top 10 Stephen King adaptations. Possibly top 5. 

Love how Mike Flanagan takes time to build characters. And he really knows how to not only direct but edit shots too for maximum effect.

The sound design and score are also masterfully constructed to create the maximum amount of mood, emotion, and tension.

• Like 2

The Irishman is a magnificent achievement on so many levels. A truly compelling three and a half hours from beginning to end. Very glad I got to see this in the big screen. I only wish the chances of being able to own it someday were not so slim.

• Like 4

I really dug the hell out of “Doctor Sleep”. It might be one of my favorite films this year, in fact. It’s a wonderfully respectful sequel to a film that I didn’t think ever needed one. It’s such a significantly different movie with its own tone and pace with plenty of callbacks and sprinkles to the original Kubrick film. My fear going in was that this would end up going deep on the nostalgia play and zoom right past homage right into Kubrick copycat territory (given I have little knowledge of the book) but Mike Flanagan does an amazing job of setting is own course here. Despite there being plenty of homage to chew on. By the time we end up in the finale and the much stronger ties to the first movie become evident, it feels earned and well executed.

The cast is just brilliant, really. Carl Lumbly and Alex Essoe who play Dick Halloran and Wendy Torrance respectively impressed the hell out of me. Both capture the essence of what Scatman Crothers  and Shelly Duvall brought to the roles without feeling like imitations/distractions and with very, very limited screen time. Essoe in particular sounds uncannily like Duvall.

Rebecca Ferguson is dynamite and downright screen stealing as Rose. It helps that’s she’s a damned knock-out but the range she shows here after some of the her most recent action outings left a mark. Curran as Abra is also fantastic and a standout. Both have great screen chemistry with Ewan as Danny who’s fantastic in his own right with a difficult role.

I could go on but seriously, it’s a top notch horror thriller of a film from start to finish. I can’t recommend it enough.

• Like 3

Doctor Sleep - Couldn’t agree with you more Romier. My wife and I just saw and loved it. Great mix of callbacks to the original book, the Doctor Sleep book (fairly faithful adaptation) and the Kubrick film without becoming a mess. And yes, Rebecca Ferguson is amazing in this as Rose the Hat. 

On 9/15/2019 at 2:36 PM, dogbert said:

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

I... I didn't hate it. But it was indulgent, too long, the plot went nowhere, and ultimately, pointless (to me) as a story. It was gorgeous to look at, it had actors playing their parts well, it was well made I guess. I enjoyed bits of it & especially Brad Pitt's character, but it never gelled into something that had a direction or seemed like a story Tarantino had to tell. 

I'm probably in the minority on this completely. 

I agree with this, it seemed unfocused and more like a series of 70’s and 50’s sketches glued in with some Tarantisms thrown in.

I’d say don’t waste your time on this one - pointless.

• Like 1

Parasite 

Beaten down Korean ingratiates himself into a rich family as a tutor, and proceeds to find new better ways to exploit that situation, and it all goes wrong. It's definitely Korean, but the conflicts (class, age, family) are multicultural. Loved this. It's not the "shocker" that a lot of reviews have made big deals out of, but it's clearly better to know less about its details upfront.

Easily one of the best films I've seen this year. 

• Like 2

The Irishmen was damn good, but that last hour could have been cut down a bit.

5 hours ago, JoeyN said:

The Irishmen was damn good, but that last hour could have been cut down a bit.

So you're saying it's total garbage,  and we'd be better off spending out time rewatching End Game. Got it! 👍

12 minutes ago, JTello said:

So you're saying it's total garbage,  and we'd be better off spending out time rewatching End Game. Got it! 👍

lol, said nothing of the sort,

Ready or Not- Really fun movie, with great cast, and some great sequences. 

Hobbs and Shaw- Cameos were the best part. They really tried too hard to improv jokes, and they really came off as forced. 

Hustlers- good film all around. However I have listened to so many thoughts and reviews since it came out,I think some people were watching a different film then I was with what they took out of it,

Agreed on Knives Out. A solid mystery and fun time. Daniel Craig is having the best time and it’s infectious.

Girlfriend and I both wanted to watch it again after we were done.

• Like 3

There was a point where I thought to myself “god this is such a good winter movie.” You could curl up by a fireplace with a blanket and just take in its warm and amusing comforts. Even though it doesn’t take place during the holidays it feels almost festive since the story deals with a dysfunctional family being brought together for a particular occasion. It seems smart that they put it out for Thanksgiving in the US.

• Like 2

Knives Out is SO GOOD. I adored it. Mind you, there were at least two points where it felt like they were fixed on entertaining me, just me, hang the rest of the audience, I love this little moment. 

Just absolutely the best time. 

• Like 2

Booked for Knives Out Tuesday - really looking forward to it :)

Saw IT Chapter 2 last night (finally got around to watching) and I thought it was good. Solid cast, good continuation and conclusion to the story but, not as involving or disturbing as the first one. IT had jump scares but, also had creepy undertone and dread to it throughout alongside a “charm” too. Chapter 2 was missing that for me and relied a little too much on jump scares. Still, a good movie and worth a watch.