LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angel P

Films - Watched and thoughts 2019

On 3/25/2019 at 11:34 AM, Romier S said:

"Us" - A much more complex concept than "Get Out" but not as well executed nor nearly as subversive as that film, IMO.  Now don't get me wrong, I actually liked the film a whole lot....

Sums up my feelings very well. I kept trying to find the subtext within the subtext, but really, it’s not that deep. Effective, and enjoyable, sure.

While Get Out also wasn’t super deep, its premise didn’t ask as much of the viewer. It was tighter and more cohesive in almost every way. 

Still, Us is admirable for its vision. 

• Like 1

The Dirt (Netflix) - A great romp, telling the origin story or Motley Crue.  You know you're getting old when you cringe at the wanton destruction of property that these guys engaged in. I've heard the book is great too, but I'll settle for this film adaptation.  Great cast, stressing look-a-likeness over acting ability, but not distracting from the band's sensational story.  I got really sad at some of the tragedies in their lives, both self-inflicted and not.  I was never the biggest Crue fan, but it still brought back a lot of memories of riding around with my pals, blaring Shout At the Devil.

I give it Fourskins out of 5.

Carlos.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, Carlucci said:

The Inventor (HBO) -  Great documentary about how the road to hell is paved with good intentions, how assigning celebrity status to business leaders can blind very smart people,  and how group-think destroys projects and reputations.  I have no doubt that Elizabeth Holmes started out wanting to really revolutionize an industry, and save lives.  But I also have no doubt she deceived a lot of people, put lives at risk, and committed felonies, for which she should pay dearly.  

I give it 4 out of 5 little pricks.  

Carlos.

More depth is provided in The Dropout podcast:

http://abcradio.com/podcasts/the-dropout/

Ralph Breaks The Internet - This movie hit me in the feels much harder than I was expecting. I enjoyed the first one a lot for all the nostalgia and spoofs on tropes, but it didn't affect me much beyond that. I'm not saying this movie is on par with the Toy Story series, but at least this movie showed a sense of development I wasn't expecting.

Halloween (2018) - Easily the best since the first one. It's obvious how much of a love letter to the original this one is.

When it comes to certain kinds of movies, there are two kinds: 1. Movies you nitpick to death because they're terrible and allow you to exercise nerd rage and 2. Movies you nitpick to death for shits and giggles. This movie and the first one are definitely the latter.

The Possession of Hannah Grace - Meh

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse - I didn't expect much, but this was a wonderful treat.

Super Troopers 2 - I watched the fifth season of Arrested Development, and I barely laughed. I watched Super Troopers 2, and I was pretty much guffawing the entire time. I feel like I committed a grave internet sin somewhere.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - I wasn't bored, but I wasn't interested either. The movie doesn't do a very good job of explaining why selling the dinosaurs wasn't considered in the first place in the grand scheme of things. I get they needed the money from Lockwood to "fund" the operation, but I felt like they could've just sourced their money from an "evil" source. I have no idea if that's a thing.

2 hours ago, Dimness said:

Evolution - What the fuck was this? How did this get made?

I'm sorry, it tickles me that you're wondering how a movie called Evolution came to be. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 7:54 AM, Camp said:

Aquaman is a waste of your precious time. Avoid at all cost (recognizing my warning is too late to save you all).

I had no intention to see this movie.  But I thought I heard it was good.   I guess not.   Now, like Shaazam, I will only watch this movie if I'm bored and alone and suicide is inconvenient.

• Like 1

Chappie - Watching this movie was like driving a car that's missing some standard features. At some point, you notice the car is missing cup holders after having to deal with the lack of a front windshield.

• Haha 1

Christopher Robin - I had three glasses of scotch by the time they get to that scene where Christopher Robin sits with Winnie the Pooh and talks about being lost. I cried. I rewatched the scene recently to see if it was the scotch. It wasn't.

Skyscraper - This was a lot of stupid fun. It does try to be Die Hard, but that doesn't bother me a bit.

Jupiter Ascending - It wasn't a wasted afternoon, but there seriously wasn't anything better to do while I visited my parents this past weekend.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dimness said:

Christopher Robin - I had three glasses of scotch by the time they get to that scene where Christopher Robin sits with Winnie the Pooh and talks about being lost. I cried. I rewatched the scene recently to see if it was the scotch. It wasn't.

tenor.gif?itemid=9313214

• Haha 1

I finally saw Nicole Kidman in Destroyer. Good movie,  just depressing as hell.

• Like 1

District 9 (rewatch) - I still like it, but I he might've topped out with beginner's luck on this one.

Pacific Rim: Uprising - I could've done without this. It didn't have that Guillermo charm to it.

The Hateful Eight - I still haven't seen a bad Tarantino film. I also haven't seen Death Proof either. Should I disappoint myself?

The Meg - I'm sort of glad I didn't see this in theaters. I can't imagine it being much better.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls (rewatch) - I don't hate or like this movie. It's just there.

Highlander - It's shocking I've never seen the original. Besides the music from Queen, it's Kraft quality cheese.

Dragonslayer (rewatch) - It's enjoyable, but I feel like a remake is in order.

Dune (rewatch) - This is not a guilty pleasure. That's because I love this movie with no guilt.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dimness said:

Dragonslayer (rewatch) - It's enjoyable, but I feel like a remake is in order.

:Rock:

Hardcore Henry - I had a lot more fun with this movie than I thought I would. I mean it's essentially watching a first-person shooter starring the guy from District 9 and knock off Jennifer Lawrence.

The Fast and the Furious - I've finally watched the first movie. And you know what? It ain't that bad. You got to love it was made in the early 2000's, but still feels like a late 90's movie feel. It sort of screams fake street tough, but I wasn't bothered by it.

Isle of Dogs - This was my double bill with The Fast and the Furious. I think I've seen every Wes Anderson film with the exception of The Grand Budapest Hotel. I wasn't as enchanted with this movie as his other films. He always has that one scene that hits me, and this one simply didn't.

2 Fast 2 Furious - Title was lame then, title is still lame.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift - This is the lowest grossing of all the movies, but it wasn't really that bad. But it was also missing Vin Diesel and Paul Walker.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - I can think of two reasons why Alexandra Daddario might be the more famous young actress out of this very short-lived franchise. But you'll have to watch other movies and shows to know why.

Rampage - Saying it's better than Battleship is not saying much.