LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angel P

Films - Watched and thoughts 2019

Nothing made sense, one example, the Predators kill everyone with a weapon on sight, except our main "squad", multiple times.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NickC said:

Nothing made sense, one example, the Predators kill everyone with a weapon on sight, except our main "squad", multiple times.

giphy.gif

OMG, I can't wait to watch this movie and love it out of spite.

29 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

OMG, I can't wait to watch this movie and love it out of spite.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cfeac57786b387867

Fair enough. I personally enjoyed it because I needed a dumb action movie. That and nothing touches the original.

4 hours ago, Jordan_E said:

Rented Captain Marvel last night.  Meh.

Could you provide more details?  Maybe start with ... why you hate women?

13 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Could you provide more details?  Maybe start with ... why you hate women?

:Rock:

29 minutes ago, Jordan_E said:

:Rock:

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I'm going to assume, based on your pattern of behavior thus far, that you're engaging in some sort of "Rock-splaining" which is just a super-testosterone-infused version of regular old mansplaining you misogynistic mother fucker.

Didn’t love the Predator but didn’t hate it either. First half of the movie is strong. Second half is shit. Mostly sort of “eh” by the time it was done. Predators is much better if unoriginal. Outside of the hobo-Morpheus stuff, it gets unfairly maligned. 

I haven't rewatched Captain Marvel yet because I am pivoting away from buying Marvel movies in advance of Disney+ since I'll probably get to watch them all on that service.

I was super biased toward liking Captain Marvel because I considered it a tee-up for End Game.  So every single thing that happened I was like "I can't wait to see her do this shit in End Game" and "What's this mean for End Game"?

So I wonder if on second viewing all of that will be deflated and my liking of the movie will have a big drop-off.  I'm leaning toward still liking it a lot.  I'm a sucker for origin stories.  

Us - The best part about this movie was its trailer.  It was intriguing, enticing, and filled you with angst and dread. 

The movie itself falls apart, and doesn't make a lick of sense.  I'm willing to forgive a lot in the name of a fun, scary ride, but the dumbness of the characters and the plot were just too bad for me to have anything good to say.  

I give it 2 out of 5 faulty flares.

Carlos.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2019 at 10:15 AM, foogledricks said:

I haven't rewatched Captain Marvel yet because I am pivoting away from buying Marvel movies in advance of Disney+ since I'll probably get to watch them all on that service.

I was super biased toward liking Captain Marvel because I considered it a tee-up for End Game.  So every single thing that happened I was like "I can't wait to see her do this shit in End Game" and "What's this mean for End Game"?

So I wonder if on second viewing all of that will be deflated and my liking of the movie will have a big drop-off.  I'm leaning toward still liking it a lot.  I'm a sucker for origin stories.  

I liked it more the second time and that was after watching End Game.

20 hours ago, JoeyN said:

I liked it more the second time and that was after watching End Game.

I think Nick Fury is huge for this movie.  Or any movie he's in.

You know, the non-Avenger movies leaning on Iron Man as a secondary character (like in Spiderman) or Hulk and Doctor Strange (like in Thor Ragnorok) or Nick Fury (like in Captain Marvel and now Spiderman) seems really smart.  They should keep doing that.  Though Nick Fury is getting old, Iron Man is gone, and since Hulk isn't smashing anymore he's pretty useless in this regard (A fun known character Avengering it up).  I wonder if Dr. Strange will become the new face of the Avengers across these individual movies.  He's so easy to inject in any movie because of his skill set.  He can just be anywhere at any time for a quick pep talk.  

Toy Story 4-  This is a fantastic, coming of age movie for Woody. Most of the other toys are relegated to supporting roles, while newer toys are introduced to help on his quest. Forky is hilarious, and Duke Kaboom brings the stunt action.

The climax is not the edge-of-your-seat thrill ride as in the previous 3, but still fun and funny. 

It's touching and heart warming, and I teared up a little more than once.  

I give it 4 out of 5 convivial high fives.

Carlos. 

p.s. Make sure you stay all the way through the credits,  and I mean all the way through. 

• Like 1

"p.s. Make sure you stay all the way through the credits,  and I mean all the way through. 

Woody joining the Avengers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I think the trailer for Toy Story 4 looks meh.  But the reviews are great. 

This! Meh! I'm surprised anyone has an appetite for another Toy Story.  I really enjoyed the first three,  but a fourth film seemed unnecessary,  and that trailer would seem to confirm it.  The positive reviews are kinda surprising. 

1 hour ago, JTello said:

This! Meh! I'm surprised anyone has an appetite for another Toy Story.  I really enjoyed the first three,  but a fourth film seemed unnecessary,  and that trailer would seem to confirm it.  The positive reviews are kinda surprising. 

We are on the same page.  But in this case I think we are wrong.  Sounds like they stuck the landing.

Can I just say to my LCVG buddies that I am sick and tired of the outrage culture surrounding the pop-culture that I love.  I'm seeing headlines that Toy Story 4 is offensive.

Toy Story 4 Slammed For ‘Lack Of Diversity, Anti-Feminism, And Disablism’

Now I recognize that:

1. Things I personally find cute, funny, or OK might not be cute, funny, or OK to someone else.  
  2. Just because some people are offended doesn't mean that EVERYONE is offended and I shouldn't overreact as if everyone is feeling this way
  3. I haven't seen the movie, maybe I actually agree with them

I'm just sick of half the headlines being about how something or someone didn't say the right thing the right way.   Taylor Swift just got killed for supporting the LGBTQ community BY the LGBTQ community. 

Louis CK can't even masturbate in front of who he wants anymore.  This country is going to hell.

• Epic Post 1

3 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Can I just say to my LCVG buddies that I am sick and tired of the outrage culture surrounding the pop-culture that I love.  I'm seeing headlines that Toy Story 4 is offensive.

Toy Story 4 Slammed For ‘Lack Of Diversity, Anti-Feminism, And Disablism’

Now I recognize that:

1. Things I personally find cute, funny, or OK might not be cute, funny, or OK to someone else.  
  2. Just because some people are offended doesn't mean that EVERYONE is offended and I shouldn't overreact as if everyone is feeling this way
  3. I haven't seen the movie, maybe I actually agree with them

I'm just sick of half the headlines being about how something or someone didn't say the right thing the right way.   Taylor Swift just got killed for supporting the LGBTQ community BY the LGBTQ community. 

Louis CK can't even masturbate in front of who he wants anymore.  This country is going to hell.

If you're clutching pop culture so hard that you get burned by some criticism, perhaps you are clutching it too hard.

As a gay man, I have really no strong feelings about Swift one way or the other. I can't see into her mind, so I can't tell whether she sees dollar signs or rainbow flags. I've read some arguments on both sides, and I think they each have a point. In the end, that usually how I feel about heartfelt cultural criticism. And by that I don't mean one-off tweets or rageful FB posts, those just get ignored. I mean considered criticism. There is a place for it, and it may require one to separate from things one loves to see another's point of view.

• Like 4

Considered argument can be read and either agreed with or not. But most of what we’re seeing right now is writers in a hurry knowing that there are clicks to be made in talking about any major pop culture trend, and with so many social media accounts in the world you’re guaranteed to say the current number one is racist, transphobic, left wing, right wing, centrist or anything else you need to fit your agenda today. And if you can’t? Well, that’s about a minute’s work to solve. 

• Like 3