LCVG

More GTA craziness

MrMike

Now the Haitains are filing suit to have the game taken off the shelves:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/01/...t.ap/index.html

A little late you'd think huh? I don't know what other people think but I don't even remember the "kill the Haitains" line in vice city. And I'm sure if/when I did I didn't think of it anymore than kill that pixel video game character over there.

This moron group just wants a payday, nothing more.

Maybe it just took someone that long to reach the relevant point in the game?

Personally, I thought the game made it abundantly clear that it was referring to a Haitian gang, rather than people from the island generally. You're given the instruction by a Cuban gang member, having been involved in a previous mission to kill members of the Cuban gang by the Haitians, in a complete Yojimbo steal.

And what's up with $15,000 in damages? How does slurring an entire group of people (and potentially targeting them for death) only deserve barely 5-figure punishment? (Obviously, I disagree with the merits of the suit, I just find the monies sought to be so low in relation to the egregious behavior alleged.)

Originally posted by adamsappel@Jan 2 2004, 05:09 PM

And what's up with $15,000 in damages?

Most probably, its the maximum they can ask for and yet at the same time be sufficiently small that Take Two might just roll over rather than bother fighting it.

Personally, I'm curious as to exactly who has been caused $15,000 worth of damage. Are they going to give out a couple of cents to each Cuban in the state of Florida evenly? Or are there one or two people going 'you really hurt my feelings'?

Most probably, its the maximum they can ask for and yet at the same time be sufficiently small that Take Two might just roll over rather than bother fighting it.

Which makes it sound more and more like they just want a paycheck instead of standing up for something. Sounds like extortion using the court as the muscle.

Gee...i don't like the way they look at me...whats the highest amount of money I can sue them for so that I get a good chunk of change but don't run the risk of losing.

• 4 weeks later...
What's your share of the settlement, going to be, Pebble?

I get the remaining copies of GTA Vice City that still have Cubans killing Haitans or the other way around. By the time the Haitans and my people are done they'll be walking along the streets holding hands in the game and singing Mary Poppins. :shock:

After all we all know videogames are the core of all that is rotten in the world.

I'm playing through Vice City right now. Whatever happens with this lawsuit (I doubt Rock Star will have to change anything) I can rest easy knowing that I have a copy where the Haitians and the Cubans hate each other with a viscious passion. :D