LCVG

Mortal Kombat 11

AlbertA

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Visually it should be wonderful. Have you played Injustice 2? That game was a looker man. Great game, too with an excellent story mode. 

Yeah it was great. And I can actually play injustice with the kids haha.

Ed Boon and company really turned it around starting with MK9. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was absolute garbage.

Edit: Umm... 3 duplicate posts? wtf.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Most were already in MKX and the ones that weren't actual fighters still appeared all over the story mode. XL can be had for $15-20. Go buy it.:)

Something about these videos for 11 seem to be nailing that MK feel then. I just don't remember that with the previous one. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another pretty damning article on NetherRealm's crunch culture and the handling of the leak that recently came out. 

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/netherrealm-studios-crunch-mortal-kombat-injustice-2-contract?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

PC Gamer similarly reported on the "brutal crunch" many employees at NetherRealm dealt with in the wake of the tweets, both for contractors and full-time employees. However, what was revealed in our investigation is a story of a studio that regularly undervalued its contracted workers.

Our sources confirmed they worked for $12 an hour while working contract at NetherRealm. For context, the minimum wage in Chicago is currently $12 an hour, but only after a minimum wage hike that took effect on July 2018. Multiple sources also told USG that NetherRealm would offer $11 per hour wages for the art team.

"I can share that everything Beck Hallstedt has said is absolutely true," said another anonymous source who contracted at NetherRealm. "[Ed Boon, creative director at NetherRealm Studios,] kind of brags, 'I don't ever fire my full-time employees.'" But two sources feel the statement is hypocritical.

"[Boon would] claim to be fortunate to never be forced to lay off people but ended contracts of dozens of people on a regular basis due to the system despite that," said one former contractor. "People never get hired," another said bluntly. LinkedIn currently lists a little over 200 employees as working at NetherRealm, but because the studio hasn't released any internal data it's difficult to parse who is full-time versus who is a contractor.

Much more at the article itself. 

9 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Another pretty damning article on NetherRealm's crunch culture and the handling of the leak that recently came out. 

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/netherrealm-studios-crunch-mortal-kombat-injustice-2-contract?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Much more at the article itself. 

To the extent that this coverage exposes how NetherRealm is a terrible company to work for, I guess that's great if its true.

But am I the only one who thinks that an employer can pay their employees whatever the hell it wants.  An employer can have the worst benefits.  OR no benefits.  No bathrooms.  Mandatory bathing suit Fridays.  TPS reports every hour.

And if the above was true, that should be bad for business.  You won't find good employees and you'll make bad products and you'll go out of business.

But doesn't NetherRealm make good products?  And if so, that must mean they have talented workers.  And if their workers are talented, why the hell are they working at a terrible company that pays them no money and treats them like crap.

Having trouble understanding how this adds up.  Totally confused.  But maybe my formula is wrong.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, foogledricks said:

To the extent that this coverage exposes how NetherRealm is a terrible company to work for, I guess that's great if its true.

But am I the only one who thinks that an employer can pay their employees whatever the hell it wants.  An employer can have the worst benefits.  OR no benefits.  No bathrooms.  Mandatory bathing suit Fridays.  TPS reports every hour.

And if the above was true, that should be bad for business.  You won't find good employees and you'll make bad products and you'll go out of business.

But doesn't NetherRealm make good products?  And if so, that must mean they have talented workers.  And if their workers are talented, why the hell are they working at a terrible company that pays them no money and treats them like crap.

Having trouble understanding how this adds up.  Totally confused.  But maybe my formula is wrong.

You can think that, but there are labor laws and regulations that exist to try to ensure employers don't get to act with impunity. You can argue their effectiveness and strength but that's not an argument for this forum. I would say that employees who feel they were mistreated can equally go to the media and air their grievances about being treated like shit, expose poor working conditions, poor pay and generally hit the reputation of a company out in the open in an effort to exact change for the people already there and who may work for said company in the future. In lieu of any type of labor union structure for folks to collectively bargain, this is exactly what former employees have a right to do when they have no other recourse.

As to your second comment about having talented workers - did you actually read the article? It doesn't sound like you did considering the entire basis of the piece is how NetherRealm leverages cheap contract labor by dangling the carrot of full time employment that they never have any intention of offering.  Is that illegal? No. Not at all. Contract workers are generally at-will and can be let go at just about any time but its pretty slimy to dangle the carrot when the outcome isn't gonna change.

On your last statement - really? You have trouble adding up how the "free hand of the market" allows for a company to develop good products on the back of employees who have been mistreated with endless hours, substandard pay, hostile work environments, etc. Much less in an industry that is rife with these types of exposé style stories. Especially over the last few years. Perhaps I don't understand what you're confused about there because it sounds like your basically giving a longer version of "Just go work somewhere else if you don't like it" which is much easier said than done given the labor market in the area and if your passion is to break into the games industry.  Again, maybe I'm reading you wrong but I think people advocating for better conditions for themselves and others while  making it known how your favorite games are being made is a good and necessary thing for the industry at large.

Man there's something about the games industry that takes it up a notch from the Tech industry. Perhaps it's the money involved, or the supply of pool of fresh grads is bigger since it's games and mostly about art/assert creation rather than engineering. I do see that cycle totally in the Tech industry, where they burn out fresh college grads in 2 years, rinse and repeat. And it some past companies I have heard "we prefer college grads because we can mold them to our culture".

23 hours ago, Romier S said:

You can think that, but there are labor laws and regulations that exist to try to ensure employers don't get to act with impunity. You can argue their effectiveness and strength but that's not an argument for this forum. I would say that employees who feel they were mistreated can equally go to the media and air their grievances about being treated like shit, expose poor working conditions, poor pay and generally hit the reputation of a company out in the open in an effort to exact change for the people already there and who may work for said company in the future. In lieu of any type of labor union structure for folks to collectively bargain, this is exactly what former employees have a right to do when they have no other recourse.

As to your second comment about having talented workers - did you actually read the article? It doesn't sound like you didn't considering the entire basis of the piece is how NetherRealm leverages cheap contract labor by dangling the carrot of full time employment that they never have any intention of offering.  Is that illegal? No. Not at all. Contract workers are generally at-will and can be let go at just about any time but its pretty slimy to dangle the carrot when the outcome isn't gonna change.

On your last statement - really? You have trouble adding up how the "free hand of the market" allows for a company to develop good products on the back of employees who have been mistreated with endless hours, substandard pay, hostile work environments, etc. Much less in an industry that is rife with these types of exposé style stories. Especially over the last few years. Perhaps I don't understand what you're confused about there because it sounds like your basically giving a longer version of "Just go work somewhere else if you don't like it" which is much easier said than done given the labor market in the area and if your passion is to break into the games industry.  Again, maybe I'm reading you wrong but I think people advocating for better conditions for themselves and others while  making it known how your favorite games are being made is a good and necessary thing for the industry at large.

I agree with your assessment of what I was saying and I agree with everything else you said too.  I also admit I didn't read the article.  Just responding to another headline confirming my decision to stay in the tech industry rather than pursue my childhood dream of working for a game company.  Seems like a really bad decision to work in that industry, usually.  Although I know one person who does quite well in the industry.

52 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I agree with your assessment of what I was saying and I agree with everything else you said too.  I also admit I didn't read the article.  Just responding to another headline confirming my decision to stay in the tech industry rather than pursue my childhood dream of working for a game company.  Seems like a really bad decision to work in that industry, usually.  Although I know one person who does quite well in the industry.

Its even easier when you've never had a dream of working in the industry.:) If games were my job, I really doubt I could enjoy them as a hobby. I know many folks do and even some here but I'd have a really hard time with that, I think.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Its even easier when you've never had a dream of working in the industry.:) If games were my job, I really doubt I could enjoy them as a hobby. I know many folks do and even some here but I'd have a really hard time with that, I think.

Like a lifeguard not being able to watch Baywatch.  Or a gynecologist going gay.  I feel ya.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BTW, details about the Xbox Series X/S upgrade and PS5:

https://mortalkombatgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055514474-Mortal-Kombat-11-Xbox-Series-X-S-FAQ#_Toc52528369

https://mortalkombatgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360057342173-Mortal-Kombat-11-PlayStation-5-FAQ

The interesting part is how achievements are being handled by MS vs Sony. Achievements won't be affected on the upgrade in Xbox case, but the PS5 upgrade the trophy's are separate between the two versions.

And all I need to do is buy Kombat pack 2 on my side ($15) since I already own MK11, Aftermath and Kombat Pack1. No need to buy the ultimate edition to play the enhanced version on the new consoles.

I like how Netherealm has done it. They've spelt everything out  and gave users a way to get the new content separate from the ultimate edition even across generations - other companies should take notice.