LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Super Mario Maker 2 [Switch] - June 2019

I’m really looking forward this having missed out on the other releases. Love that it’s billed as a sequel rather than a deluxe port of the game that many expected. 

I do hope they’re not going to lock the level sharing behind Online subscription. Surely they won’t?

10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’m really looking forward this having missed out on the other releases. Love that it’s billed as a sequel rather than a deluxe port of the game that many expected. 

I do hope they’re not going to lock the level sharing behind Online subscription.

Ah yes, the sequel with slopes. The Nintendo revolution.;)

Serious note...how in the Sam hell is Super Mario 3D Worlds not on the Switch, yet?!

I think we’ll see 3D World eventually. I hope so anyway. That and Wind Waker HD are probably the U ports I want most as Yoshi’s Crafted World leads me to believe we’ll sadly never get Woolly World (I suspect the 3DS version also harms its chances of ever coming to Switch too).

Emily Rogers is usually fed good info and has said she expects two U ports this year, one of which she claimed is definitely a 2013 game which I’d have thought would basically narrow down options to Wind Waker, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101. Honestly though it’s hard to imagine any future U ports not being from that year since they’ve pretty much plundered the best of 2014 already, and unless they did Kirby and Yoshi there’s little of worth porting from the following year now that Mario Maker 2 is coming, and as for 2016 I doubt many are clamouring for Star Fox Zero and Paper Mario Splash ports.

No word yet, just that more about the new features and details will be revealed in the coming months. 

Surely the image of Mario and Luigi is hinting at a two player element this time?

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Surely the image of Mario and Luigi is hinting at a two player element this time?

Two player simultaneous like the NSMB games?  I could see that being pretty devious for those people creating nightmare levels that could now force two players to work together to finish them. 

Not really sure how much else I'd want out of a sequel actually.  More elements, sure, and the ability to link levels together into worlds would be neat.  Custom artwork and sounds would be neat, but not going to happen.  It'll also be interesting to see how they address construction when docked, if at all.  It worked so well on the WiiU, especially with the precision of a stylys, so not sure how it'd translate to a switch.  Bluetooth mouse support would probably be too much to ask, but could be the ideal solution.

30 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Two player simultaneous like the NSMB games?  I could see that being pretty devious for those people creating nightmare levels that could now force two players to work together to finish them. 

My assumption would be we’d get to flag uploaded levels as being exclusively two-player if so designed, while regular levels could carry an optional two-player tag where designers could have hidden two player elements that wouldn’t prohibit completion in single player.  

Having never had a Wii U (or even played one), I have never played Super Mario Maker but I'm very much looking forward to trying out Super Mario Maker 2 on the Switch. The lack of online access to user-created levels kept me from picking up the 3DS version of Super Mario Maker. 

Officially launching on June 28!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone creates in this new version. 

• Like 2

It looks like Nintendo can't wait until E3 to show us this game. A big 15-minute Direct was just announced for tomorrow afternoon (in American time, that is).

• Like 1

Easy Allies made a great point a while back now that while Mario Maker, and even Animal Crossing, might be heavily featured during an E3 direct neither are ideal to be THE Nintendo game at E3 as there’s no immediate pick up and play value for those walking up to the main display booth on the show floor. Not to say they definitely can’t be the key title for the show, it’s just that they seem more like deep-dive Treehouse style titles, so I'm not surprised to see a lengthy Direct for this ahead of E3. That begs the question what could be that big game as even Pokemon Sword/Shield potentially lacks that quick satisfaction value as well.

I’m very keen to play Mario Maker but given that its focus is so online/sharing based I probably won’t leap on it until its in a sale as I don’t know if I dedicate enough time to gaming to get long term amusement out of it. 

That was a good Direct. I think I’m more excited about this game now that we have a better idea of what’s in it. It definitely has a lot more content than the original, and the addition of a story mode is nice for us single-player shut-ins. 

It’s a bummer that you need a Nintendo Online account to access the online features, but that’s not all that unexpected. I’m looking forward to sharing my shitty levels with you assholes.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, Angry the Clown said:

I’m very keen to play Mario Maker but given that its focus is so online/sharing based I probably won’t leap on it until its in a sale as I don’t know if I dedicate enough time to gaming to get long term amusement out of it. 

Oh FFS, just get the game. The original was one of the most delightful offerings on Wii U. You can easily forgo the “making” part of the game and just play the levels everyone else has created. You’ll get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

EDIT: Here’s a link to the Direct for those of you who missed it.

• Like 1

Did the first one have a story mode? It was appealing to see that this one does (made up of 100+ levels from Nintendo).

Definitely looks fun. Also high marks for the Direct’s narrator saying “embiggen.” 😆

11 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Did the first one have a story mode? It was appealing to see that this one does (made up of 100+ levels from Nintendo).

No story mode, but they did have that Endless Mode where you try to beat a bunch of levels in succession. 

12 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Definitely looks fun. Also high marks for the Direct’s narrator saying “embiggen.” 😆

Hey, it’s a real word now! 

• Like 1

I like that there’s an obvious space left for a new theme in future besides Mario Worlds. I hope it’s Paper Mario.

Can you compose/edit music in this?

For whatever reason this doesn't seem to be on offer to North American at all, but internationally Nintendo are offering a free stylus with pre-orders (both physical and digital). This was announced a few weeks back but was also featured in the UK Direct last night.

D4-iqhEX4AE9D5d.jpg

After pre-ordering digitally via the eShop you will get a code to redeem in their main online store.

Picked this up at the weekend, I haven’t had much time to play it but I got to play through 15 of the story mode levels - they were a lot of fun :) Really excited to jump into this more this week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

LOVE what I am seeing but I concluded that I just wouldn't put the hours in.

I think you'd be surprised at how quickly you can amass hours of playtime on this title by both building your own levels (or at least trying to) and playing levels others have built. I remember playing Super Mario Maker on Wii U and was shocked when I realized I had somehow suddenly sank more than 20 hours into it after only a week or so. I should go back to my Wii U and find out how many hours total I put into it overall. I'm certain it's well over 30 hours, maybe even 40 (or more).

My guess is that I'll sink even more time to SMM2 for two reasons. First, there's a proper story mode with over 100 Nintendo-designed levels. Second, there will likely be many more people playing and creating levels for this version, given the fact that Switch is many times more popular than Wii U ever was. It's not like I ever ran out of levels to play on the first one, but this time around, it feels like you could truly have an almost infinite number of levels to play.

Alas, I have not picked this one up yet either as I'm trying to save some money at the moment and work through more of my gaming backlog. I probably won't wait for a sale though. If I did that, I would likely be waiting a very long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFo said:

I think you'd be surprised at how quickly you can amass hours of playtime on this title by both building your own levels (or at least trying to) and playing levels others have built. I remember playing Super Mario Maker on Wii U and was shocked when I realized I had somehow suddenly sank more than 20 hours into it after only a week or so. I should go back to my Wii U and find out how many hours total I put into it overall. I'm certain it's well over 30 hours, maybe even 40 (or more).

I can believe it, but that’s more hours than I care to give up for gaming in a week and I’ve far too much keeping me entertained on Switch right now. Link’s Awakening and Luigi’s Mansion will be next, then Pokemon. If Nintendo don’t announce any other notable titles for the 4th quarter (Prime Trilogy for example) then I could see myself grabbing Mario Maker over the Christmas period, but then a potential Switch hardware revision around that time could also command priority of my meagre gaming funds. We’ll see.

Bought this last week to congratulate my son on winning an achievement prize at school. So far he's crafted two pretty impressive levels, and has to show they're even possible to me, as they're way beyond my skill level. I've not really done the time on 2D Mario since World and he keeps creating bits that are only possible with deft use of the cat outfit, bone shells etc.

• Like 2