LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Starhawk

Google Stadia

Lots of reviews up now and most say to wait; it’s not worth it yet. The Ars review covers quality on wired vs wireless pretty well and the cost analysis vs consoles/PC. This has convinced me Not to even look at Stadia for now. LCVG and gamers like us aren’t likely the target market anyway but, the cost of the Founders edition + sub + games isn’t great and quality on anything but a wired connection was “wildly inconsistent”. 

I'm still curious about it but, It’s too easy to wait till March 2020 or so and see if it has improved before even considering trying it. 

With the pricing, requirements, and alternatives on the market... I don’t know if there is a target market for this.

It seems particularly engineered to please nobody.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark E said:

I don’t know if there is a target market for this.

I'm trying to dig up when you said this exact thing about the iPhone back in the day but it is taking me forever.

11 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Yeah, this is a no-go in our house.

"Boys, stop watching videos on your iPads! Daddy wants to play a game on Stadia!"

Does Google say this even if you have super fast internet? I get 275 down from Xfinity, which is -- according my Eero app -- enough to do multiple 4K streams and online gaming at once. Would I really see a dip in performance if I had other internet activity in the house while playing a game? I would think that with an even faster connection, you wouldn't run into issues.

16 minutes ago, JFo said:

Would I really see a dip in performance if I had other internet activity in the house while playing a game?

Right, the answer is that it depends, obviously.  It depends on your shitty router.  It depends on your shitty internet. It depends on your shitty kids watching shitty 4K minecraft videos. It depends on your shitty wife watching 4K Bachelor. 

I think the days where we continue to install these big expensive proprietary quickly-obsolete fixtures under our TVs seem to be numbered. For movies, TV, and games.  Let me authenticate and watch or play whatever I want on whatever screen is in front of me. We swallowed lower quality music with MP3's in favor of the convenience and flexibility. How can that not be the future for games too.  Maybe we're 5 years away and this is the beginning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Right, the answer is that it depends, obviously.  It depends on your shitty router.  It depends on your shitty internet. It depends on your shitty kids watching shitty 4K minecraft videos. It depends on your amazing wife watching 4K Bachelor. 

Fixed.

33 minutes ago, JFo said:

Fixed.

Are you doing the thing where you know your wife would never read your text messages, but just in case, when ever you message your x-girlfriend, you make sure to mention that you love your wife. The key point being that I’m your x-girlfriend in this analogy. 

• Haha 1