LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Disney+

Probably depends on the show.  The xmen show is rough in terms of picture quality.  We've watched a handful of episodes so far.   We've watched two or three episodes of Gargoyles and they looked much better.

Right. I'd wondered if some stuff was slow to being added because they might have a minimum standard of quality to adhere to before uploading, but I guess not and they're willing to just go with the old SD masters for a lot of stuff. That's fair enough I suppose. What I saw in the past of those Simpsons upscales are much nicer than the DVDs save for the damn cropping. It'd be good to see more shows upscaled like that if the OAR is retained (I've read that Rescue Rangers is also cropped. Is that the only Disney Afternoon show not in its OAR?).

I watched The Incredibles last night, 4K, HDR10, it looked quite good. I caught some banding in one scene (sky with a fine gradient), otherwise it was a good picture. HDR only stood out in one scene (the first time Syndrome has Mr Incredible detained in the forcefield thingy). I've not got any 4K version to compare it to, so it's hard to judge if it looked as good as it could in this format, but I was happy with it.

6 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

I watched The Incredibles last night, 4K, HDR10, it looked quite good. I caught some banding in one scene (sky with a fine gradient), otherwise it was a good picture. HDR only stood out in one scene (the first time Syndrome has Mr Incredible detained in the forcefield thingy). I've not got any 4K version to compare it to, so it's hard to judge if it looked as good as it could in this format, but I was happy with it.

I have quite a few 4k Disney discs, so I was thinking of doing some A/B comparisons.  But I assume more knowledgeable folk are already on that case.

We watched the second half of A New Hope in HDR and, while a bit dark, didn't seem to be nearly as dark as The Mandalorian was.  Clarity was nice and the saber duel between Vader and Obi Wan looked great.  The lightsabers, both red and blue, always seemed to be very white when it came down to it.  These were pretty vivid in their blue and red intensities.  

Disney will offer the option of 4:3 for the for all relevant episodes of The Simpsons in 2020:

Hopefully they are of the same quality of the cropped versions and not just clones of the DVD masters. 

• Bravo 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Disney will offer the option of 4:3 for the for all relevant episodes of The Simpsons in 2020:

Hopefully they are of the same quality of the cropped versions and not just clones of the DVD masters. 

Holy shit that is huge. I might retire my DVD versions on Plex if that happens. 

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Holy shit that is huge. I might retire my DVD versions on Plex if that happens. 

I could never live without the audio commentaries (or Stark Raving Dad).

We’ve watched some of the simpsons of the earlier seasons, quality is really bad with double line ghosting at times. 

Cropping is one thing, but damn this looks so bad.

• Like 1

They look better than the DVDs from what I have see from screenshots online when they were original on FXX (though I have never seen them in motion), but yes. As far as I know they were never anything more than higher end upscales rather than actual remasters from the film elements that I'd love, but don't think there's a hope in hell of ever seeing them done properly. I'm expecting the 1.33 presentations on D+ next year to either be straight SD clones of the DVDs, or 4:3 upscales similar to what's available now.

Given that Disney is still releasing movies in 3D, have they mentioned any plans to offer any 3D versions of their movies on D+?  Have they completely ruled it out?  it's possible to do it, right?   I don't go out of my way to buy the 3D versions, but if they were available, I would definitely spend more time watching the 3D versions of some of their work.  In particular, the Pixar animated movies look really great in 3D.

Carlos.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:54 PM, Graeme said:

One thing I do quite like is that it is built with Extras in mind. Right now it seems to mostly be trailers and deleted scenes. It would be great if some of the content from Blurays/DVDs could make it over. 

Was just looking to see what kind of extras a big new release would have and was pleasantly surprised to see that End Game had its full commentary track as well as deleted scenes with commentary. 

Give us Simpsons commentaries!!

23 hours ago, Carlucci said:

Given that Disney is still releasing movies in 3D, have they mentioned any plans to offer any 3D versions of their movies on D+?  Have they completely ruled it out?  it's possible to do it, right?   I don't go out of my way to buy the 3D versions, but if they were available, I would definitely spend more time watching the 3D versions of some of their work.  In particular, the Pixar animated movies look really great in 3D.

Carlos.

Has 3D ever been offered by any streaming service before? I understand Disney+ already offers alternative  versions of some films (Avatar has the option of the censored ‘family’ version alongside the theatrical cut I read, although the two extended cuts are not there), but I wonder if there needs to be appropriate decoding on the hardware end to output 3D. 

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

Give us Simpsons commentaries!!

That would certainly make it easier to retire the discs to storage, although we’d still be faced with the absence of Stark Raving Dad (and that had a great commentary too).

23 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Has 3D ever been offered by any streaming service before? I understand Disney+ already offers alternative  versions of some films (Avatar has the option of the censored ‘family’ version alongside the theatrical cut I read, although the two extended cuts are not there), but I wonder if there needs to be appropriate decoding on the hardware end to output 3D. 

I don't know, I'm ignorant about such things, but I don't think the hardware should matter.  For example, I didn't have to buy a 3D blu-ray player, only a 3D blu ray. The display, of course, has to handle 3D, and somehow the display is able to take the signal from the blu-ray, and because I instruct my display that a 3D encoded "stream" is coming, it knows to render it correctly for my viewing hardware. Maybe it would be a bandwidth issue though, and the streaming hardware would come into play in having to buffer and send two sets of data, one for each eyeball. 

It's probably too much to ask for, and given the support of 4K HDR, probably a non-starter. 3D remains a gimmick to get some people into theaters, I guess, and since no (?) 4k display supports it, it's going to remain just that, and probably ONLY that soon.

Carlos.

Hmmm. Are you sure about that regarding the Blu-ray player? The need for dedicated player support was definitely a thing (though it came as a patch for the PS3).

Some 4k displays had 3D. My 2016 LG E6 OLED has the best 3D I have ever seen (and I say that as one who doesn’t even care for 3D), so it’s a shame LG abandoned it on later models. Most projectors still support it though. There is no spec for 4K/HDR content in 3D at home however.

10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Hmmm. Are you sure about that regarding the Blu-ray player? The need for dedicated player support was definitely a thing (though it came as a patch for the PS3).

Some 4k displays had 3D. My 2016 LG E6 OLED has the best 3D I have ever seen (and I say that as one who doesn’t even care for 3D), so it’s a shame LG abandoned it on later models. Most projectors still support it though. There is no spec for 4K/HDR content in 3D at home however.

no you're right, just looked at a few of my 3D blu rays, and they all say "3D blu ray player required".  I withdraw my question.  

Carlos.

One of the big complaints of Disney+ has been the lack of a “Continue Watching” feature. 

I actually saw a “Continue Watching” section in the app on the first day, and then it disappeared. I assumed they might have disabled it due to some issue with it. 

Looks like it has returned. I see it again in both the iOS and AppleTV apps.