LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Disney+

Let me start by asking you to bear with me here. I'm not trying to troll the Disney + discussion. I'm seeking info for what may be coming post Hamilton to see if the service is something I should keep.

We added Disney + to our ever growing collection of streaming services in preparation for Hamilton (my 11 year-old daughter is a HUGE fan). I was expecting there to be more compelling content my wife and I might enjoy. My hope was there would be a couple Netflix-style options available. I understand that Star Wars, Marvel, and Disney stuff is the draw of the service. I'm just not into any of those brands beyond a casual, "Sure, I'll try it once" attitude.

Example:

I started The Mandalorian based on reputation and because it was the only thing I found that remotely looked like something I might enjoy. I couldn't get past the first 5-10 minutes of the opening episode. It felt very generic and looked like something shot by fans with no budget. 5-10 minutes isn't a fair effort and I'll likely give it another go.

What is the future of Disney + ? Is it just a dumping ground for their branded content or is there expectation of content on the level of Netflix or HBO?

29 minutes ago, Camp said:

What is the future of Disney + ? Is it just a dumping ground for their branded content or is there expectation of content on the level of Netflix or HBO?

Honestly, right now I'd say it's definitely the former. I think their original documentary content on Disney+ has been the most rewarding and interesting and was the main draw for me, but the next big exclusive stuff they will be hyping is going to be Season 2 of Mandalorian, Marvel spin-off shows and an Obi Wan mini series. Catalogue movies on the service are of little interest to me since I prefer to own the ones I enjoy on disc where possible, but I get value from the nostalgia of the  80s and 90s TV content (I just wish they'd put some old 60s TV content up there too). I genuinely don't know how they expect the service to grow once it has launched in all territories and the Star Wars/Marvel fans are subscribed. I suspect more original stuff will come eventually, but it may well be two-three years before we see unique content produced in an attempt to broaden the appeal of the service. 

Mandalorian definitely felt uneven, but I enjoyed the novelty of it. I'm curious to see where they're going with the story even though the franchise still can't seem to ditch the past right now which is a real shame (that said, tonally it does occasionally take shifts we've never seen in Star Wars before, at least not live action, and while that doesn't always work I appreciate them trying different things).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Camp said:

Example:

I started The Mandalorian based on reputation and because it was the only thing I found that remotely looked like something I might enjoy. I couldn't get past the first 5-10 minutes of the opening episode. It felt very generic and looked like something shot by fans with no budget. 5-10 minutes isn't a fair effort and I'll likely give it another go.

The beginning of the first episode has some of my least favorite parts of the show, it's definitely rougher than what it becomes by the end of the episode and series. The first three episodes get better as they progress, the middle three episodes are a bit of a wash, and the last two are pretty good. 

I'm not really sure what's coming outside of Star Wars and Marvel content though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Camp said:

We added Disney + to our ever growing collection of streaming services in preparation for Hamilton (my 11 year-old daughter is a HUGE fan). I was expecting there to be more compelling content my wife and I might enjoy. My hope was there would be a couple Netflix-style options available. I understand that Star Wars, Marvel, and Disney stuff is the draw of the service. I'm just not into any of those brands beyond a casual, "Sure, I'll try it once" attitude.

The initial draw was really the catalog of having all the Disney, Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel movies in one place with the promise of original programming based on those franchises also. I think that may continue to be a draw, especially for families. 

There is a quite a bit of original programming coming, but the majority of it is Marvel (8 by my count). There are series based on The Right Stuff, Monsters Inc, Turner and Hooch and The Mighty Ducks though. 

There are a number of other shows and docuseries out now that are well done, but may have a somewhat niche appeal. I loved Imagineering story and Prop Culture, but I am very interested in the subjects they cover. I even enjoy Fairytale Weddings just to see some behind the scenes at the Theme Parks. I’ve heard good things about Encore! but have no real interest in it. 

I don’t think we’ll ever really see the adult oriented series or true crime that Netflix and Prime have as Disney+ is more family focused, nor do I think we’ll see too much that isn’t based on some sort of existing property, at least not for awhile. That could end up being the Achilles heel of the service and they may need to tie D+ and Hulu into each other to make up for it. 

Here is a Wikipedia article with all the current and upcoming original programming on D+. There are original movies that are not listed. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Disney+

• Like 1

The non family friendly stuff will be on Hulu. A bunch of series originally announced for the service, are on there or will be. That is why they have the bundle option. However  it better just doing the Hulu Black Friday deal separately every year.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:33 AM, Camp said:

I started The Mandalorian based on reputation and because it was the only thing I found that remotely looked like something I might enjoy. I couldn't get past the first 5-10 minutes of the opening episode.

The first 5 minutes are probably my least favourite 5 minutes of the series. The opening scene is great, but the Horatio Sanz alien character that he captures is just terrible. He looks and feels like an alien from a Star Trek episode that isn’t meant to be taken seriously (not saying anything bad about Trek). Him combined with just a few too many “memberberries” had me worried. 

Thankfully the rest is not that bad. It’s not perfect by any means, but I think it’s worth watching. 

• Like 4

There is only one scene the whole show that had me laughing out loud, and it was witty banter between storm troopers. Love that scene.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

There is only one scene the whole show that had me laughing out loud, and it was witty banter between storm troopers. Love that scene.

It reminded me of that old 90’s fan film ‘Troops’

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 8:33 AM, Camp said:

Let me start by asking you to bear with me here. I'm not trying to troll the Disney + discussion. I'm seeking info for what may be coming post Hamilton to see if the service is something I should keep.

Example:

I’ve canceled as of last week. There’s nothing compelling for me until Mando S2 and trying out some of the Marvel spinoffs.

• Like 2

Disney+ has a usefulness lag for a couple reasons.

1. I bought all of the Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars movies so having access to all of those is mostly useless. 
  2. For new Marvel, Star Wars, Disney movies Disney+ will be awesome. But that world hasn't really started yet. Especially because of Covid-19, but regardless of reason,  it will take a while for Disney+ to have content that I already don't have access to via other services.
  3. New Marvel TV shows are huge, but none of them have come out yet.

So if I want to watch one of the Marvel movies while eating lunch or something, I flip a coin whether I watch it on Amazon or Disney+. In some cases Disney+ still doesn't even have the rights for the movie I want to watch. 

We use D+ for a bunch of stuff. My niece loves it as mostly everything she likes is in one place.

Simpsons is now 4:3 in the US. The update has yet to come to UK so I am guessing it will happen here tomorrow. There’s a toggle button under ‘details’ for the series.

There’s a fascinating tech heavy article about the challenge they faced making of both versions available on the streaming platform:

https://medium.com/disney-streaming/bringing-new-aspects-of-the-simpsons-to-disney-d6067226556e

I’m assuming they still haven’t added the audio commentaries from the DVDs.

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Simpsons is now 4:3 in the US. The update has yet to come to UK so I am guessing it will happen here tomorrow. There’s a toggle button under ‘details’ for the series.

There’s a fascinating tech heavy article about the challenge they faced making of both versions available on the streaming platform:

https://medium.com/disney-streaming/bringing-new-aspects-of-the-simpsons-to-disney-d6067226556e

I’m assuming they still haven’t added the audio commentaries from the DVDs.

Fantastic news! Do we know if the 4:3 versions are remastered HD?

I've had Seasons 1-12 on my Plex server with commentary tracks and subtitles for awhile now that regular get watched. If these 4:3 versions are better quality then what I have now, that's make a big difference. 

Turns out they are live in UK. The iPad app has the toggle. Not sure why I am not seeing it on the ATV.

7 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Fantastic news! Do we know if the 4:3 versions are remastered HD?

Noise reduced upscales like the 16:9 versions.

• Like 1

Re-installed the app on the Apple TV and then toggle is now there (it even automatically synched with my ratio preference on my iPad).

Interestingly, when the toggle wasn’t there on my Apple TV and I tested a 4:3 episode on the iPad, the episode resumed from the same place on the ATV in 16:9.

Also on the iPad the 4:3 episodes are actually window boxed for some reason. Other 4:3 content on Disney+ doesn’t do that.

I want to say they actually look better than the 16:9 versions upscale wise. The noise reduction doesn't seem as aggressive and oil painting like as I remember from the cropped streams? Later 4:3 seasons look especially good (I have When You Dish Upon a Star on here from S10). 

So glad to have The Simpsons in their proper format! Makes Disney+‘s value quite a bit higher for me. 

Commentaries now please!

For me, Disney+ has mostly been about Star Wars. Obviously, The Mandalorian was high on the list and one of the first things I watched. Lately, though I’ve been trying to catch up on The Clone Wars, which I had never seen until recently. I’m almost to the end of season three and am excited to eventually make it to the finale.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeyN said:

You have plenty to go.... then Rebels :)

I've seen Rebels!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Don’t watch resistance

Noted! 

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

Don’t watch resistance

And here I was thinking about watching it.

I'm working my way through Clone Wars, too.  There was a Clone Wars feature film, wasn't there?  If so, where in the timeline do I watch it?  Or do I not watch it?