LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Disney+

On 5/29/2020 at 11:48 PM, Brandon H said:

It's not great, but you should watch before season 1. It does have some decent set pieces.

Oh well, too late for that. I’m in the middle of season 2 already. 😂

I guess I was thinking the show had been on for awhile before the movie, rather than the other way around. I’ll check it out now.

Thanks! 

Just found out the Schoolhouse Rock! is coming to D+ on June 19.... so make sure you all re-up your subs for that!

• Like 3

Hamilton Disney+ trailer has a PG-13 notice for language.

Could just be a theatrical trailer they quickly recycled for use to promote D+ though after cancelling the cinema run.

My guess is they'll let one use of "fuck" through, and mute the rest (you're only allowed one in PG-13, right?). 

The one fuck is a bit of a myth, as demonstrated by a number of PG-13s that have two. But I still can't see "Southern Motherfucking Democratic Republicans" passing.

Apparently they have pulled the ability to sign up for a free trial leading up to Hamilton’s release. 

All these services would be smart if they did. You can just sign up again for a free trial with another email. 

Dammit, seeing "classic muppets" made me think for a second that the Muppet Show was going to make it to D+.  Still, more muppet stuff can be a good thing!

It's funny that the change happened over three years ago but due to Disney's lack of interest in doing much with the characters we've really had so few chances to hear it. It seems somewhere close to what Whitmire did in pitch, but at the same time channelling Henson in tone. From the little things I've seen of Vogel's Kermit from the live shows (sadly I never got to go to the ones they did in London), Kermit's overall attitude and personality does seem more Henson like which pleases me. Henson's Kermit was never afraid to be rude, or even get angry at times, which Vogel seems to get. Whitmire's Kermit just felt SO downtrodden a lot of the time it was was almost depressing. 

Vogel did a nice Rainbow Connection in April too:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's funny that the change happened over three years ago but due to Disney's lack of interest in doing much with the characters we've really had so few chances to hear it. It seems somewhere close to what Whitmire did in pitch, but at the same time channelling Henson in tone. From the little things I've seen of Vogel's Kermit from the live shows (sadly I never got to go to the ones they did in London), Kermit's overall attitude and personality does seem more Henson like which pleases me. Henson's Kermit was never afraid to be rude, or even get angry at times, which Vogel seems to get. Whitmire's Kermit just felt SO downtrodden a lot of the time it was was almost depressing. 

I thought it sounded different from the last muppet thing I saw (probably Most Wanted).  Did Steve Whitmire retire?

34 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

I thought it sounded different from the last muppet thing I saw (probably Most Wanted).  Did Steve Whitmire retire?

He was dismissed from the role (a decision taken by Muppet Studios rather than Disney top brass, though Disney respected the decision which had the support of Lisa and Brian Henson).

It’s quite a messy story of conflicting claims, but apparently he became quite stubborn to work with. The career entry on his wikipedia page covers the bulk of what allegedly lead to him no longer perform the part:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Whitmire

I’ll miss him more as Bean and Rizzo who originated with him. I don’t know who performs them these days. I don’t think they have had speaking appearances since Whitmire was removed (they’re perhaps amongst the most difficult Muppet character voices to emulate).

• Like 1

Pleasant surprise to see that Hamilton is 4k/Dolby Vision.

I wonder if there's hope for a disc? That'd be a good opportunity to get it out uncut. 

• Like 1

Literally got Disney + for the month just to watch it.

It’s really excellent on D+, but I find it really interesting how different the experience is, having seen it in that theatre live (on our last trip to the States, oddly).

The rotating floor choreography is a lot easier to appreciate at the theatre, which is one thing my gf and I both noticed, because of the camera work.

But the original cast is killer and the performances in this one were amazing. It’s neat how the cast album, live version, and film version are all different animals yet all fantastic.

Has Disney released any numbers on Hamilton? New subscribers? Total viewings, etc.?

I don't think they have yet, no. They did a very sneaky trick disabling the free trial when Hamilton went up, forcing people to sub for at least a month. Even if they provided numbers the only ones of relevance would be annual subs though. 

• Like 1

One thing's for sure, once Coronageddon tails off we'll see an interesting statistic from how quickly tickets to see it live crash the website.

1 hour ago, iainl said:

One thing's for sure, once Coronageddon tails off we'll see an interesting statistic from how quickly tickets to see it live crash the website.

I was actually wondering if being on D+ would affect the live show at all.  I might have gone to see it in Toronto when it was here, but at $200/ticket, that's an expensive proposition.  I'm fine having seen the stream.  I'm sure it would still do fine on stage-concert recordings don't affect live music, and people still went and saw stage productions of things that had movie adaptations, but this might take some of the heat off Hamilton-mania.

So is Harry Potter and the Cursed Child next?  That was due to go onstage here in the fall (now pushed to at least 2021), and the prospect of going to that was topping $1000 for both parts. 

We’ve seen Potter; it’s bloody marvellous. It was also only about £135 per person for both parts when we went, and that’s for two nights’ live entertainment. We may have been high up, but it the view and sound were good.  It was cheaper to go two nights than do the whole thing in one go on a Saturday, too.

We already had tickets to see Hamilton a couple of weeks after lockdown started, But rather than keep the refund, we’re contemplating going for better seats when we rebook because we absolutely know it’s going to be worth it. 

I’ve been humming “Wait for it” all day and Jonathan Groff’s numbers as King George are just...:banderas: