LCVG

I think the Disney+ release will only increase interest in seeing it live. Having been fortunate enough to see it early in its London run a couple of years back I HIGHLY recommend seeing it live should you ever get the chance. I'd been giving thought to going again this year but the years continue to be competing to fuck everyone's shit up.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

I’ve been humming “Wait for it” all day and Jonathan Groff’s numbers as King George are just...:banderas:

Grab yourself the Hamilton Mixtape album if you haven't already. There are some great covers on there.

Seek out all the Hamildrop singles too:

https://www.hamildrops.com

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first 5 minutes are probably my least favourite 5 minutes of the series. The opening scene is great, but the Horatio Sanz alien character that he captures is just terrible. He looks and feels like

That soft spot must be your head, then, Angry!

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

If Disney were really brave, they should buy the rights the The Sweatbox and release that on Disney+. Along with Waking Sleeping Beauty, The Pixar Story and Howard they can start the DPFACDU (The Disney Pixar Feature Animation Cinematic Documentary Universe). 

The Sweatbox is so good. 

I'm upset with Disney+ at the moment as I've seen that over the past few weeks the US service has received several old 60s and 70s TV specials that they have failed to add in the UK (there's no way there's shared rights issues with that content, which as far as I know would have never even aired on television on this side of the Atlantic anyway). I've appealed to them via social media and they said they'd pass my request on, and the only other advice they gave was to use the suggestions box on the website. 

So far, as far as I've been able to keep track, the UK is missing out on:

• Disneyland: The Liberty Story 
  • Disneyland: The Story of the Animated Drawing
  • Man in Space
  • Mars and Beyond 
  • A Pre-Opening Report from Disneyland 
  • The Mousketeers at Walt Disney World 

All of the above have been added over the past month in the US. Are they all available in Canada too?

I expect them to just stretch out stuff for a while (even though there is a ton of content they have not released yet).  Except for Mandolorian S2 (and probably some animated stuff that can be worked on from home) , their other original programming is all delayed now.  That's why The One and Only Ivan is coming to the service directly now.

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

So far, as far as I've been able to keep track, the UK is missing out on:

• Disneyland: The Liberty Story 
  • Disneyland: The Story of the Animated Drawing
  • Man in Space
  • Mars and Beyond 
  • A Pre-Opening Report from Disneyland 
  • The Mousketeers at Walt Disney World 

All of the above have been added over the past month in the US. Are they all available in Canada too?

They are in Canada! Thanks for the heads up about these. There was a different Disneyland TV thing that was missing in Canada from launch (and is still missing) so I wasn’t hopeful that these would be on. 

The search on Disney+ is still horrible by the way. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm curious to see if/when it might come to disc in which case (apparently had the conventional release plan stuck there was going to be a UHD disc of the animated film around the time of the theatrical release, or the home video release. I hope that still happens. I guess they may target physical media closer to the holidays).

I don't like that they are hiding it behind Disney+ and not also putting the rental out to other platforms, but we'll see if that pays off for them I suppose. 

So apparently the “rental” is permanent, as long as you are subscribed to Disney+. 

It is certainly an interesting experiment, and the next step after they released Frozen 2 and Onward early and then released Hamilton to the service exclusively. I feel like Mulan might not have the same clout as something like The Lion King or Aladdin would have had. People might be just willing to wait until it is on Disney+ for “free”. 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

People might be just willing to wait until it is on Disney+ for “free”. 

It's a curious pitch to charge a premium on top of the existing sub as you'd think for the most part the "I'll just wait" sentiment makes up a large proportion of the subscriber mentality. I'd have thought it better to just go rental VOD on other services, then bring it to Disney+ within the usual 6-8 month window. I'm interested to see what happens, but the problem is all the streaming services are very vague about their numbers so we may never have a solid idea of performance. 

I'm sad for the filmmakers given the scope of the film, and such a big movie having an all asian cast now being relegated to a stream.

33 minutes ago, kelley said:

Crazy that D+ has 60 million subs out there paying $7 a month. Even if a fraction of them pay $30 for Mulan they’ll be just fine on their ROI on the movie. 

It will have to be a pretty high fraction. Production budget was $200M; no idea what marketing and promotional costs were actually incurred due to all the delays, etc., but just to recoup production costs you would have to get more than 10 percent of your subscription base to buy it -- if you had to recoup from your subscription base alone. Of course, if they actually can show it in theaters, and get some turnout, that helps.

*The actual math is of course more complicated -- there's some cost involved in putting it on D+, so the $30 price isn't pure contribution,  etc., etc.

If they are going to use Disney+ to experiment with releases like this (early releases of Frozen 2 and Onward, releasing Hamilton and now Mulan), an interesting experiment they could possibly try would be to give releases like Mulan to annual subscribers for no additional charge. It would certainly incentivize people to subscribe a year at a time instead of for a month or two and then cancel. 

They could call it Disney+ Early Access or something. Basically saying “This movie will eventually come to Disney+, but if you want it now, you can either subscribe for a year or pay $XX (ie the $30 they’re charging for Mulan)”.

I'll be paying $30 to see Mulan at home as it's almost impossible for us to see a movie in a theater these days, hoping this goes well for Disney to feel confident using this approach on other films (Black Widow).

• Like 1

I think it was mentioned earlier but here's confirmation:

I think that's relatively fair given where we are. I would have taken outright digital ownership for that cost and coupling it to Plus is a little weird but I guess I'm fine with it? Not sure why they wouldn't go the standard VOD rental route for $20 on multiple platforms. 

EDIT: I should be clear as well, I'll wait for the UHD release but for those that purchase it, I'm eager to hear your thoughts.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:11 AM, JoeyN said:

Well theaters are not opening anytime soon, and by then it’s will be a miracle if any of them can reopen by then.

But that’s here in the states. Aren’t theaters open in Europe and other countries?  

I just argued with myself about that price for a few minutes. And in the time it took to write that last sentence I’ve changed my mind again. Not a good price. My other choices are to rent this for $4 eventually, get it for free with d+ eventually, buy it for $20 eventually... or this? Sure, early access is worth a premium. But part of that premium is the theater experience, which is not included here, obviously. I think they are baking a disincentive into this price on purpose. I think $20 early access rental versus a $20 late access ownership is much closer to an understandable cost/convenience trade-off. Even that I would appreciate a $5 discount on ownership for a later purchase if I rent early access.

Early access is not worth this for anything other than an Avengers Infinity War. I recognize this is an experimental price during a pandemic. But just .. no.