LCVG
Magness

Avengers: Endgame Spoiler Thread

How the hell do you stay on top of all these details? 😀 I’m hoping to catch a second viewing later this week (hoping to see Eighth Grade at the cinema too though so may have to bump Endgame to the week after).

4 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

How the hell do you stay on top of all these details? 😀 I’m hoping to catch a second viewing later this week (hoping to see Eight Grade at the cinema too though so may have to bump Endgame to the week after).

lol. When I am really into something, I am very focused on watching , and listening to details, and  can remember a lot. I could probably list most of the call back lines off the top of my head if I want, but I don't want to type up a long post :). We are planning on watching it again on the 6th or 7th when all our friends can see it again together, and my mom wants to see it as well once the crowds die down, so we will take her as well. So at least two more viewings are in the future. 

Is nobody else sad that Hulk, proper Hulk, never got revenge on Thanos.  That in the entire MCU, Hulk never had a domination moment other than when he smashed Loki in the Avengers.  He got beat up by Iron Man in Ultron.  Beat up by Thor in Thor 3.  Beat up by Thanos in Infinity War. 

The only hint of his infinite strength via anger was in the original Hulk movie where Abomination was dominating Hulk only to anger him with his bone-elbow turning the tide in Hulk's favor.  I was waiting for Hulk to finally get so angry that he would have a World Break Hulk moment where he saves the day and has his revenge on Thanos.  But that was reserved for Captain Marvel, Thor, and Iron Man who each got their change to beat up and/or Kill Thanos in this movie. 

It is the one thing I feel deprived of. 

• Like 1

Keith I do agree with you on that point about not getting a fight of some kind with Thanos, as it was one thing I was looking forward to seeing. Once Smart Hulk got hurt from using the Iron Gauntlet I think he was in no shape to fight Thanos 1 on 1 anyway. Ant-Man had to help bust him, rocket and Rhodes out.

I mentioned this earlier, I have never been a fan of the "smart hulk" from the comics , because it takes away the best part of the character. The Conflict between Man and Monster. This new version is more of an end to his arc, though I can see him being a guy who helps the new avengers team behind the scenes, very much like beast has become for the X-men in the comics.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Keith I do agree with you on that point about not getting a fight of some kind with Thanos, as it was one thing I was looking forward to seeing. Once Smart Hulk got hurt from using the Iron Gauntlet I think he was in no shape to fight Thanos 1 on 1 anyway. Ant-Man had to help bust him, rocket and Rhodes out.

I mentioned this earlier, I have never been a fan of the "smart hulk" from the comics , because it takes away the best part of the character. The Conflict between Man and Monster. This new version is more of an end to his arc, though I can see him being a guy who helps the new avengers team behind the scenes, very much like beast has become for the X-men in the comics.

Agreed.  Hulk is fun because he's a beast.  Seeing Hulk talk like banner seemed more like a SNL skit at first.  I love Thanos CGI.  I loved Thor 3 hulk CGI.  But I was distracted by professor Hulk CGI at first.  Probably because banners expressions on Hulks face were just weird at first.  It grew on me.  But what's the point of Hulk if he is just a taller uglier Banner.  At least from a fun perspective.

I will absolutely admit that I got a huge laugh out of Prof Hulk’s half-assed smashing. When he throws the motorcycle it’s like yay smash. Woo hoo. No enthusiasm at all. 🤣

• Like 1

Loved ANTMAN punching centipede monster.  Loved BP taking gauntlet from Hawkeye.  Loved seeing sorcer supreme again and loved that her knowledge knows no bounds.

Also wondered why if the soul Stone requires a soul for a soul, why can't you give it back and get the soul back.  

Bucky conceding the Captain America title to falcon was a fun moment since fans knew it was going to be one of them.  But no powers?

Danvers is a little over powered.  Hulk was supposed to be overpowered, but never was.  His handicap was that he was out of control and not always hulk form.  Danvers is just Superman. Her handicap is that she's sometimes busy.  I hope they introduce some weaknesses.

Stones are gone, right?  Means Danvers and Wanda are really the only remaining remnants of the stones.  Also strange is stoneless.

12 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I will absolutely admit that I got a huge laugh out of Prof Hulk’s half-assed smashing. When he throws the motorcycle it’s like yay smash. Woo hoo. No enthusiasm at all. 🤣

He did a similar joke in Ultron.  Pretended to hulk out at the party and showed an ironic and half hearted imitation of the hulk.

They reuse so many moments and lines in the movies and I don't know if it is intentional.  To many to count.  Rogers must say "get out of here" like 5 or 6 times.  What the hell, another reused phrase for laughs.  You're the worst.  Damn, I wish I wrote them all down.  I've watched these movies so many times and I pick up on repeated dialog all the time.

5 hours ago, Romier S said:

Also, the Russo’s win for rewarding the 5 people like me that watched Agent Carter.:)

I think we have to give that to Markus and McFeely more than anyone else. Again, I cannot imagine how happy they must be to have concluded everything they mapped out between the three Cap films and Agent Carter with these last two movies. Few writers get these kind of opportunities in cinema.

As far as Professor Hulk goes, since I have a relatively poor knowledge of most comics I am not sure I was aware that was ever a thing, or if I was I certainly had forgotten about it, so for me it was another delightful skew in a different direction in the film that I could not have predicted. Also it gives us one of the funniest scenes in the movie (fan selfies in the diner). 

My favourite part of that scene is that none of them recognised Steve or Nat when they’re not in uniform, either. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, foogledricks said:

They reuse so many moments and lines in the movies and I don't know if it is intentional.  To many to count.  Rogers must say "get out of here" like 5 or 6 times.  What the hell, another reused phrase for laughs.  You're the worst.  Damn, I wish I wrote them all down.  I've watched these movies so many times and I pick up on repeated dialog all the time.

Oh man, I bet you love that one scene from Doctor Strange.

• Like 1

This will be an unpopular viewpoint I think.  I am put-off by loser character story arcs, the most common of which is when a character you love gains a substance abuse problem and becomes a pathetic loser and embarrassing burden to all around them.  Or a sexy person who gains a lot of weight and wears a fat suit for laughs.

Obviously I'm talking about Thor, and they used these two devices (Fat and Drunk) for laughs and to a lesser extent, to actually express his true anguish and sorrow.   Thor can't get enough of beer and food provided a funny set of skits.   But seriously, this seems like an SNL skit. "What if Thor became a depressed fat drunk and Korg became his college roommate?"  

It worked OK, although I've read and heard people thinking it was amazingly awesome.  I am just tired of this type of character abuse in movies and TV shows so it was hard to watch for me at times.  Even though it was done well.

Again, I sense I am in the minority on this.  Some people here seem to have a high appreciation for character change-ups.  And to the extent that this is Thor being different than usual, I think people enjoyed it.  Yeah, it was different, as was Professor Hulk.  But it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Hail Hydra!

Loved that moment in the elevator.  Soooo good. 

Also the whole Capt fighting himself was awesome. 

Hulk with the stairs!

I liked how self-deprecating it all was.  Capt making fun of himself with the "I could do this all day" exchange.  Hulk making fun of himself.

Loved Hawkeye and Nat's fight for sacrifice.  I enjoyed this moment way more than Thanos and Gamora.  Though obviously you can't have this moment without having the Thanos/Gamora one.

Cheeseburgers reference with Happy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

This will be an unpopular viewpoint I think.  I am put-off by loser character story arcs, the most common of which is when a character you love gains a substance abuse problem and becomes a pathetic loser and embarrassing burden to all around them.  Or a sexy person who gains a lot of weight and wears a fat suit for laughs.

Obviously I'm talking about Thor, and they used these two devices (Fat and Drunk) for laughs and to a lesser extent, to actually express his true anguish and sorrow.   Thor can't get enough of beer and food provided a funny set of skits.   But seriously, this seems like an SNL skit. "What if Thor became a depressed fat drunk and Korg became his college roommate?"  

It worked OK, although I've read and heard people thinking it was amazingly awesome.  I am just tired of this type of character abuse in movies and TV shows so it was hard to watch for me at times.  Even though it was done well.

I would agree had his physical appearance been played for laughs throughout. I’ve already written of the fact he stays in that shape for the entire film was a surprising highlight for me. 

Why I think it works, and why I don’t think it’s a cheap trick, is that nobody really makes fun of him. Stark makes a Lebowski reference because of the way he’s dressed and because stark’s a bit of a prick (does Rocket say anything derogatory? I forget), but there’s no regular mocking of his appearance, and the scene on Asgard with his mother is also key as it’s a gentle awakening for the character, and by the end his physical shape sure as hell isn’t a hindrance to his ability to be the person he was meant to be either.

I think they got the balance right, and it actually allowed Hemsworth opportunities he’s not always had in these movies to show that there’s a lot more to his capabilities as an actor than brawn. He delivered a really charming and tender performance in this one.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

Cheeseburgers reference with Happy!

That destroyed me. For one, the little girl was magnificent, then you have the cheeseburger callback itself with Happy, yes, but even deeper than that is when you acknowledge Favreau’s contribution to getting this franchise off the ground and how he had to fight for Downey to be cast in the first place. I was genuinely moved by it.

• Like 1
  • Epic Post 1

8 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That destroyed me. For one, the little girl was magnificent, then you have the cheeseburger callback itself with Happy, yes, but even deeper than that is when you acknowledge Favreau’s contribution to getting this franchise off the ground and how he had to fight for Downey to be cast in the first place. I was genuinely moved by it.

Yes, there was a lot of emotional residence here.  Favreau is the godfather of the franchise, and the little girl's godfather.  The cheeseburger reference, which is when Tony has his enlightening about having been a bad person and was the pivot point for him becoming a superhero in the very first MCU movie, it was so subtle and smart and most people probably didn't get it.  I doubt my daughter, despite watching all these movies with me, got all these little references.  Partially because I've seen Iron Man like 10 times and she's seen it only 1 time.

15 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Why I think it works, and why I don’t think it’s a cheap trick, is that nobody really makes fun of him. Stark makes a Lebowski reference because of the way he’s dressed and because stark’s a bit of a prick (does Rocket say anything derogatory? I forget), but there’s no regular mocking of his appearance,

His mom told him to eat salad, Rocket told him he looks like melted ice cream, Rhodes responds with “cheese wiz” when Thor asks if they know what he has flowing through him or something to that effect.  

It was amazing at first but i didn’t much care for Thor like this.  My thinking being he’s a god and getting fat and/or drunk wouldn’t affect him like normal humans.   Also, this was explained on The Flash so maybe that’s why it bothers me.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Angel P said:

His mom told him to eat salad, Rocket told him he looks like melted ice cream, Rhodes responds with “cheese wiz” when Thor asks if they know what he has flowing through him or something to that effect.  

Ah yes. Fair points all round. Happy to take back some of what I said as, obviously, those lines hadn’t stuck with me (I don’t mind it from Rocket, as like Stark I can take him to be a bit of a prick and it’s in keeping with the rapport between them in Infinity War, but I would expect more of Rhodes. The salad line, while harmless enough, wasn’t necessary as that scene didn’t need to be capped with a joke).

I’m not forgetting any kind of Batman and Robin style close ups of him squeezing into a tight suit though am I? Please tell me that didn’t happen. I’ve no memory of them going that far in drawing attention to his appearance.

It was amazing at first but i didn’t much care for Thor like this.  My thinking being he’s a god and getting fat and/or drunk wouldn’t affect him like normal humans. 

See, at its core, that’s just what I DID like about it. Thor’s been humanised a lot since Ragnarok where they really let Hemsworth move away from the kind of bellowing Shakespearian caricature he was kind of established as, and I don’t believe gods should be infallible (indeed, ancient mythologies regularly tell us they’re anything but).

Again, that he still takes to the battlefield in that shape and fights like a beast I think helps redeem the more questionable aspects of depicting his new physique that might have occurred earlier as in the end his physicality neither hinders nor defines him.

30 minutes ago, Angel P said:

It was amazing at first but i didn’t much care for Thor like this.  My thinking being he’s a god and getting fat and/or drunk wouldn’t affect him like normal humans.   Also, this was explained on The Flash so maybe that’s why it bothers me.

I actually enjoy all the zingers.  I'm all for making fun of people's flaws.  That's the good part.  Don't mistake me for a softy.  I am not.

In Infinity War Thor has a really touching moment with Rocket where he shows how devastated he is and explains how the devastation is a good thing for his focus.  It is really sad and really touching and gives respect to all the characters that have been lost, giving weight to his motivations beyond being "A Hero."

All of that got transformed into drunk/fat Thor.  If you strip away the humor, you're left with Thor's rock-bottom which gets softened by all the jokes.  And that is not a terrible idea for the character given what happened.  It makes sense.  I'm not saying its not appropriate. 

All I'm saying is, I consider this type of character plotline to be depressing and emotionally draining.  And in a movie like this, where they're bouncing back and forth between emotion and humor, you don't have a lot of time to give a rock-bottom plotline like this its due.  So you lean heavily on the humor and that's great.

I preferred how Hawkeye dealt with his depression, by killing lots of bad guys.  Or Tony, by choosing family and retiring from hero business.  Or Nat who buried herself in her duties.   Thor dabbled in anger by chopping off Thanos head.  But became the town drunk,  and it is my least favorite type of emotional failing for a character to partake in.  I would have preferred him to go into a drunken rage and have to be subdued by Captain Marvel or Hulk, maybe even exiled for his drunken recklessness.  That would have been a more emotional story that I could have enjoyed.

18 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

All of that got transformed into drunk/fat Thor.  If you strip away the humor, you're left with Thor's rock-bottom which gets softened by all the jokes.  And that is not a terrible idea for the character given what happened.  It makes sense.  I'm not saying its not appropriate. 

All I'm saying is, I consider this type of character plotline to be depressing and emotionally draining.  And in a movie like this, where they're bouncing back and forth between emotion and humor, you don't have a lot of time to give a rock-bottom plotline like this its due.  So you lean heavily on the humor and that's great.

I preferred how Hawkeye dealt with his depression, by killing lots of bad guys.  Or Tony, by choosing family and retiring from hero business.  Or Nat who buried herself in her duties.   Thor dabbled in anger by chopping off Thanos head.  But became the two drunk, it is my least favorite type of emotional failing.

I think this is a very fair criticism, but had they really pushed it with Thor I think it would have been too much given just how far they took it with Hawkeye (and I was REALLY surprised just how far they took it with him). Following Ragnarok it was abundantly clear that Thor can be an effective tool in providing both levity and drama, and it was probably a smarter decision to rely on Hemsworth's obvious talents in both respects here.

I need to see it again but I was so struck by the scene between him and Rene Russo. It felt just as vital and rewarding as the one between Tony and Howard. He's so directionless and lost in that moment, and it is played so sweetly. He's a broken man, or God, whatever, in this film, and I think at the core of the performance you can absolutely see that in his eyes, and what they establish in the 'pre-five years later' prologue where he is clearly in a very dark and angry place, is still there when we next see him again, just manifested in a completely different way due to the passing of time (and hanging out with Korg too much :) ). I'm most fond of that first act of the movie because it is effectively a character exploration of the many ways one might deal with immense grief, and all of the key players have followed a different path. 

I’m not forgetting any kind of Batman and Robin style close ups of him squeezing into a tight suit though am I? Please tell me that didn’t happen. I’ve no memory of them going that far in drawing attention to his appearance.

When Thor tells Valkyrie it’s her turn to lead “Asgard”, there’s a closeup of his midsection that still drew laughs and chuckles.

I don’t know, it just didn’t work for me but I’m in the minority. 

12 hours ago, Romier S said:

Both of my daughters flipped out for that scene so yeah...GIRL POWER. I’m quite fine with that considering no one shouts BOY POWER at the endless hero shots of the male characters, etc. On the nose? Sure but then it’s ok to be on the nose and give the little girls and women in the theatre something to crow about.

You Professor Hulk haters need your head examined, too. Hulk getting his ass handed to him led precisely to Bruce rethinking the very existence of the Hulk and he’s all the better for it. Not to mention, we’ve had film after film of “I can’t control him!” Hulk smash stuff so I really enjoyed Bruce actually being in control and using his brain. While also using his Hulk element to survive the actual snap that brought everyone back! Oh and holding up an entire building to save Rocket and War Machine for just enough time for Lang to rescue them. A less physically drained Professor Hulk is equally as powerful as mindless Hulk, folks.

Professor Hulk had some big moments in the movie and his embarrassment and mocking of dumb Hulk worked for me on so many levels. I know folks wanted some physical catharsis for Hulk getting smashed by Thanos but you got it instead by him completely undoing what Thanos did in Infinity War and I think that’s even more bad ass.

I’m split on this. I agree with Romier for the most part. Loved Professor Hulk but wished he would’ve had his moment against Thanos. I think they could’ve done both. 

But the Russo Bros made it up to me in the scene with Stark, Rogers and Thor fighting Thanos before everyone returns because I immediately appreciated these 3 characters are the only ones with trilogies in this saga. 

I have a question that might be easily answered by you guys. When Tony’s video message is played for Pepper and the others, did he record that when expected to die before Danvers’ rescues him and Nebula?  If so, did that recording end with him saying “I love you 3000”?  Does that make sense?

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I need to see it again but I was so struck by the scene between him and Rene Russo. 

Anyone else think that MAYBE she wasn't his mom at all, but LOKI?  I was thinking that during the conversation.  I was 40% sure it was Loki.  But alas, it was not.

4 minutes ago, Angel P said:

I have a question that might be easily answered by you guys. When Tony’s video message is played for Pepper and the others, did he record that when expected to die before Danvers’ rescues him and Nebula?  If so, did that recording end with him saying “I love you 3000”?  Does that make sense?

No, it would have been recorded around the time he would have decided to go back to the Avengers with his time travel solution and left in the event he should not survive what they were about to try and do (pretty sure he actually said as much in the recording).

"I love you 3000"

giphy.gif

Damn you setting me off again. 

3 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Anyone else think that MAYBE she wasn't his mom at all, but LOKI?  I was thinking that during the conversation.  I was 40% sure it was Loki.  But alas, it was not.

Oh God. Hah. I would have hated that.