LCVG

Marvels The Avengers coming from Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics

For whatever reason, once I started playing the Hawkeye DLC, I didn’t really stop, and I wound up getting the platinum today.  The counter says I sunk 50 hours into Avengers on the PS4 version and another 58 hours since the PS5 upgrade came out a few weeks ago, which...yikes.  

And, weirdly, I’m still enjoying it, even though I’ve mostly been doing incredibly repetitive things!  And I’ve been going back to that way more than my newly-acquired Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2, which I continue to ignore even though there’s so much more there to discover and challenge myself vs. sleepwalking through  the same hive for the fiftieth time.  And I’ll probably replay the campaign again sometime soon!  I think this post may be a cry for help.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does the Xbox version get Spawn?  

Adam on the way to his PS5 to play Avengers....  

It's some combination of: Each character shares a largely consistent control scheme but feels very distinct, whether it's Iron Man being a flying glass cannon, Black Widow grappling onto far awa

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

For whatever reason, once I started playing the Hawkeye DLC, I didn’t really stop, and I wound up getting the platinum today.  The counter says I sunk 50 hours into Avengers on the PS4 version and another 58 hours since the PS5 upgrade came out a few weeks ago, which...yikes.  

And, weirdly, I’m still enjoying it, even though I’ve mostly been doing incredibly repetitive things!  And I’ve been going back to that way more than my newly-acquired Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2, which I continue to ignore even though there’s so much more there to discover and challenge myself vs. sleepwalking through  the same hive for the fiftieth time.  And I’ll probably replay the campaign again sometime soon!  I think this post may be a cry for help.

What do you think is the appeal that's got you so hooked with this one? 

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

What do you think is the appeal that's got you so hooked with this one? 

It's some combination of:

• Each character shares a largely consistent control scheme but feels very distinct, whether it's Iron Man being a flying glass cannon, Black Widow grappling onto far away enemies, Hawkeye's boomerang arrows, Thor pinning enemies against the wall with Mjolnir, Hulk's ability to heal himself by fighting, or Kate Bishop's rapid teleporting
  • A lot of these characters really come alive once you get deep in their skill trees.  One clever design decision is that even a maxed-out tree won't let you have every possible upgrade at once, so there's still room to tweak/mold your character at least a bit instead of it just being "okay, I've done everything I can with him/her now"
  • Characters aren't relegated to specific roles either.  Y'know, vulnerable but necessary healer, strong melee/weak ranged, strong ranged/weak melee, etc.  That's one of the reasons Ms. Marvel was my main: she's a wrecking ball, it's so easy to juggle enemies, and her specials include a huge damage boost and team healing.  (Kate Bishop has been my go-to more recently.)
  • And because of all that, I genuinely enjoy the combat, and things do feel really different when I replay the same mission with another hero
  • I'm a hopeless sucker for open world checklists, and the onslaught of checklists here scratched the same itch.  My extended play really started because I was having fun with the past two DLC mini-expansions and realized there was still some endgame campaign to get through.  And that had its own series of checklists.  Want to max out your character's power level?  There are 8,000 different currencies, including some you can really only get from checking off checklists.  There are daily/weekly challenges to help work through your battle pass, which is, of course, a checklist.  The skill tree is ultimately a type of checklist.  A lot of the trophies I had remaining were "do this thing ____ number of times", which, yeah, a checklist within a checklist (even though I wasn't aiming for the platinum when the PS5 upgrade dropped).  So I felt like I consistently had a number of goals to work towards and was always making progress
  • It's such a pick-up-and-put-down game.  The hive trophy in particular is a long grind, but I could finish my preferred hive in 15-20 minutes, so sometimes I'd fire it up, collect any SHIELD/Inhuman missions waiting for me, play that hive once or twice, and feel like I've accomplished quite a bit
  • And in the same way that sometimes I'm weirdly okay grinding in RPGs, the repetition didn't really bug me.  The constant criticism about Avengers is that there's so little variety, but even within that limited variety here, I was mostly doing the same 2-3 missions over and over and over and over and over.  But there was something strangely comfortable about the familiarity/repetition, especially since my goal wasn't necessarily "finish this mission" but more about the siren song of checklists

I agree with basically every single criticism I've read/heard/watched about Avengers, but...I dunno, it still has some inexplicable hold over me.

I mention ignoring Tony Hawk because it seems like almost everything I've listed above applies to that as well -- checklists, pick-up-and-play, lotsa characters, lotsa customization, special abilities to choose from -- and yet I just cannot get into it.  So instead of playing this universally beloved new game I just bought, I keep going back to this semi-misfire no one ever really cared about.