LCVG

Cyberpunk 2077 - Released, broken and delisted from the PlayStation store....

Romier S

First review:

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/cyberpunk-2077-review/1900-6417622/

Spoiler

7/10

The Good

• There's plenty of flexibility in the RPG mechanics to build a character to suit your desired playstyle
  • Quickhacking combat is satisfying to execute and turns combat scenarios into elaborate puzzles
  • Side quests and characters provide the most interesting and human moments in the game
  • Keanu Reeves' Johnny Silverhand adds dimension to nearly every quest, forcing you to rethink your decision-making instincts

The Bad

• There's so much to do that isn't meaningful, so a lot of it ends up feeling superfluous
  • Superficial and often "edgy" aesthetic choices often have no real purpose, which makes them grating rather than adding anything relevant to the world
  • The incorporation of different cultures and backgrounds is wildly inconsistent, from good to inaccurate to downright offensive
  • The main story doesn't cohere with the rest of the game, with an urgency that's at odds with everything else 
  • Technical issues, from visual bugs to full-on crashes, are so pervasive that it's impossible to ignore

Sounds like those of you who are planning on waiting to play it might not be going down the wrong path as the game is riddled with bugs.

While it wouldn't have been necessary to wait for the PC version, it looks like that will be the case anyhow.  Maybe they would have been better just waiting for a post-Christmas release.  Considering how long they've supported Witcher 3 I'm sure they'll squash all the bugs eventually, but it's still a shame to release the game in that state.  

The good news is that CDPR are excellent about supporting their games post release so I'm not concerned that we won't see the game fixed up in the next few weeks/months. However, it just makes it that much easier to wait to actually play it. Glad I'm skipping for now. It will make the next gen versions that much sweeter.

I was watching the Easy Allies impressions and Ben talks a lot about the bugs too (on the content of the game itself, he is hugely positive however, save for its implementation of hand to hand combat).

I suspect I'm at least six months out from picking it up, if not longer (depends on the combination of the next-gen version and a price drop). Romier's right that CDPR ave a good reputation for post-release support, but that doesn't let them off the hook, especially not after a few delays and still pushing the development team to crunch to make the December release.

Also happy to wait until after they patch out the undocumented, lacking in warning, and frankly a mystery that it’s allowed through Cert section where the game deliberately induces seizures on the character with a sequence of strobes that, for authenticity, will do that in the player as well. 

3 hours ago, iainl said:

Also happy to wait until after they patch out the undocumented, lacking in warning, and frankly a mystery that it’s allowed through Cert section where the game deliberately induces seizures on the character with a sequence of strobes that, for authenticity, will do that in the player as well. 

Bloody hell. It must be bad. I've been playing Wipeout Omega Collection a fair bit recently and I can't believe the Zone races passed epilepsy tests. I don't suffer from such things but I don't enjoy doing those races anymore as I find the flashing and colours too intense. I don't remember finding it a problem on PS3, so perhaps with me it's an age thing, or the HDR in the PS4 version makes it a lot worse.

This game is coming in hot. But I’m going to be there day one. None of the bugs are game breaking(so far), and with just a 20 hour main story, multiple endings, and side quests you can completely miss based on choices, it sounds like it has been made to be replayed a few times. So it will get better. Plus I want to be part of the hype and the conversation on day one.

More details re: epilepsy

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-08-epilepsy-charity-calls-for-urgent-cyberpunk-2077-safety-update

A specific warning was then issued for the sequence players see when entering into a Braindance - a recording of a memory - where your character dons a visor that quickly flashes a sequence of bright lights into your eyes for around five seconds

The light machines on the screen are even modelled after the devices used by doctors to diagnose the condition.

I think a lot of the problem people are seeing, though, is (as with your mention of WipEout Omega's Zone mode) that we've now got high-luminance HDR devices - flashing lights are much worse than back on our little LCD monitors of a decade ago.

PC performance is not great. The requirements are steep, and that’s with DLSS activated. 

https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-crysis-of-this-decade-pc-performance-benchmarks-nvidia-amd-gpus-dlss-raytracing/

It notes that an optimized driver has yet to land from Nvidia. However I thought this quote was telling:

'And speaking of lighting, this is by far the best showcase for ray tracing so far. With an Nvidia RTX 3080 video card and using deep-learning supersampling (DLSS), I was able to run the game at 1440p with RTX maxed out. This includes well-known RTX features like shadows and reflections, which look great. But it also includes RTX global illumination. CD Projekt Red uses a hybrid GI system that doesn’t use RTX for when light bounces off of objects and onto a second object, but all direct lighting is using ray tracing.

The difference between Cyberpunk with RTX lighting and without is massive. With RTX, it looks lifelike with lighting that brings depth to characters as their clothing creates shadows on their bodies and lighting splashes correctly over curved muscles. Without RTX, the game looks significantly flatter and more like a video game. And thanks to DLSS 2.0’s performance setting, I was able to get these incredible benefits at a steady 60 frames per second.'

Note, he’s using the one of the fastest cards available right now. And he’s just getting 1440p, with DLSS enabled. Now, I’m not a snob but it makes me wonder how well my 2080, a not slow card in it’s own right, is going to run this game. It also makes me wonder how the next-gen systems play. Can’t wait for the DF breakdown. 

Started it this morning. I’m 1.5 hrs in so not much but, wow is it impressive. The game is insanely good looking and I’m constantly just oogling the environments :) I’m liking the combat and intro to the story so far but, all the various systems are a little overwhelming at the start. I’m playing it on PC with my new 3060 Ti at 1080p Very High with DLSS + all Ray Tracing options on and it’s staying at 60fps or a little higher. It looks fucking amazing - Really. I haven’t come across tiny trees or other super weirdness yet (heh) but, I have seen a few boxes/crates clipped through walls and a few items stuck in the floor so I couldn’t pick them up.

With all the hype and reviews and bugs and everything piled together - I’d say this game is off to a great start. 

What life path did you choose?

I put 2 hours in. The city itself is amazing so far. Little touches like sitting down in a booth to talk to a character and being squeezed in as you do by another, and while the character is talking to you, being able to look at the guy squeezing you and say something to him is minor, but really adds to the immersion in a way haven’t seen in an open world game. And on my Pro, it looks good, load times are normal for what it is. One glitch so far, a random guy had his cellphone suspended in air next to where he was talking on his cell phone.

• Romier S changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 - Released, broken and delisted from the PlayStation store....