LCVG

Microsoft acquired Double Fine Productions

Romier S

Tim Schafer on the acquisition:

😂

Definitely a “Holy Shit!” moment for me at the Xbox press conference. The one thing that popped into my head when they announced the acquisition is how Microsoft pulled out of publishing Psychonauts all those years ago. 

9 hours ago, JFo said:

Definitely a “Holy Shit!” moment for me at the Xbox press conference. The one thing that popped into my head when they announced the acquisition is how Microsoft pulled out of publishing Psychonauts all those years ago. 

Didn't watch the conference, but reading the announcements afterwards this was definitely the biggest surprise.  Hopefully this means more games from Double Fine, and I like that this means that they can focus on making games instead of trying to secure publishers for games and running crowdfunding campaigns. 

I wonder what this means for Fig though (unless that was completely independent), and any of the Double Fine Presents stuff?  They'd been doing some publishing of some other indie games themselves, so not sure if that keeps going, or if that'll just bubble up to something like ID@Xbox? 

I also just realized-does this mean that MS owns Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Day of the Tentacle?  I can't remember what the deal was with the IP for those games when they did the remasters-did DF buy those back, or was there a licensing agreement in place to make those available?  If they were licensed, I wonder if that means that the remasters are going to get pulled down so lawyers can do their lawyering?