LCVG

Microsoft Flight Simulator [PC]. Coming to Xbox Series X/S July 27th 2021

Romier S

• Angry the Clown changed the title to Microsoft Flight Simulator [PC]. Coming to Xbox Series X/S July 27th 2021
3 hours ago, kelley said:

Any word on stick or yoke support?

"Microsoft Flight Simulator fully supports Xbox gamepad, keyboard and mouse, Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One, Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder, and HORI HOTAS Flight Stick for Xbox One. New, Xbox-compatible peripherals will be announced soon, but we cannot share any further details at this time."

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402318233874

I'll be happy with the gamepad personally. All I want is to fly around leisurely with the most barebones controls and pretend that I can travel again (but not feel like the passengers lives are in my hands). :) 

I wonder how the flight controls will be on the controller. my dad has an extensive yoke and rudder system, but we’ve been unable to get FS to run on his PC properly due to it having an old GPU and us not being able to get a new GPU. Would be great to just run it on a xsx. 

I’m excited for this. 

22 minutes ago, kelley said:

I wonder how the flight controls will be on the controller.

The PC version already supported the XB controller. It's perfectly fine for those wanting a more stripped back experience.

I would imagine there will be further optimisation for the controller in the console release since it's what the majority of players are likely to be using.

For those who have not been following the game since its PC release, I thought you might want to know the differences between the three versions available (each tier basically amounts to more visually detailed airports and more licensed planes). 

Deluxe Ediiton ($90/£80)

Airports

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Netherlands)

Cairo International Airport (Egypt)

Cape Town International Airport (South Africa)

O'Hare International Airport (USA)

Adolfo Suarez Madrid-Barajas Airport (Spain)

Additional Deluxe Edition Planes

Diamond Aircraft DA40-TDI

Diamond Aircraft DV20

Textron Aviation Inc. Beechcraft Baron G58

Textron Aviation Inc. Cessna 152 Aerobat

Textron Aviation Inc. Cessna 172 Skyhawk

Premium Deluxe Edition ($120/£110)

Airports

Denver International Airport (USA)

Dubai International Airport (UAE)

Frankfurt Airport (Germany)

Heathrow Airport (UK)

San Francisco International Airport (USA)

Premium Deluxe Edition Planes

Diamond Aircraft DV20

The Boeing Company 787-10 Dreamliner

Cirrus Aircraft SR22

Pipistrel Virus SW 121

Textron Aviation Inc. Cessna Citation Longitude

Zlin Aviation Shock Ultra

enhanced-airports.jpg?fit=bounds&width=6

airplanes.jpg?fit=bounds&width=640&heigh

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

For those who have not been following the game since its PC release, I thought you might want to know the differences between the three versions available (each tier basically amounts to more visually detailed airports and more licensed planes). 

Deluxe Ediiton ($90/£80)

Airports

Additional Deluxe Edition Planes

Diamond Aircraft DV20

Premium Deluxe Edition ($120/£110)

Airports

Denver International Airport (USA)

Dubai International Airport (UAE)

Frankfurt Airport (Germany)

Heathrow Airport (UK)

San Francisco International Airport (USA)

Premium Deluxe Edition Planes

Diamond Aircraft DV20

The Boeing Company 787-10 Dreamliner

Cirrus Aircraft SR22

Pipistrel Virus SW 121

Textron Aviation Inc. Cessna Citation Longitude

Zlin Aviation Shock Ultra

enhanced-airports.jpg?fit=bounds&width=6

airplanes.jpg?fit=bounds&width=640&heigh

I'll certainly give it the necessary go on Game Pass to ensure it strikes me as a game I'll spend some time with but I'm ok with the $120 for the Premium edition if it clicks. Thanks for the info!

Sure. As far as I know it's difficult to upgrade from a lower tier to a higher one, so we can't pay a smaller sum to turn the Game Pass Standard edition into the Premium and unlock that content like you can with Forza Horizon 5. 

I'd be surprised if it grips you so much as to want to spend money for the upgrades though personally. Much as I'd like a detailed Heathrow the extent of my skills with this sim will not go far beyond just wanting to use it as a sight seeing simulator in which case I'm fully at the mercy of Bing's mapping detail and the hope for the dumbest possible controls and assist modes. :)  I'm not looking to get a pilot's licence to learn how to play this properly. 

3 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Sure. As far as I know it's difficult to upgrade from a lower tier to a higher one, so we can't pay a smaller sum to turn the Game Pass Standard edition into the Premium and unlock that content like you can with Forza Horizon 5. 

I'm speaking more of a physical edition I would buy. The Windows release got physical editions for standard and the premium deluxe. I'm hoping Microsoft do the same for the Xbox. I'd play it on Game Pass initially and invest in the physical Premium Deluxe version if/when released.

• 1 month later...

Substantial performance improvements coming to PC this month:

Asobo, the developer of Microsoft Flight Simulator, has been busy rewriting its engine to perform well on Xbox Series X / S, and the changes will also bring some much-needed improvements to the PC side on July 27th.

During a recent Twitch stream, spotted by Twinfinite, Asobo demonstrated just how significant the performance improvements will be on older systems with an Intel Core i7-9700K and an RTX 2060 Super. Microsoft Flight Simulator jumped from around 30fps to nearly a solid 60fps just thanks to the patch. CPU utilization also drops from 100 percent to 75 percent on this particular PC, and memory drops from around 16GB to 4.7GB. 

“We have rewritten a lot of the parts of the engine ... in order to get the maximum performance out of the sim,” explains Asobo CEO Sebastian Wloch. The team has been mainly working on CPU optimizations, as the game has been incredibly CPU heavy since its launch last year.

While Microsoft Flight Simulator will move to DirectX 12 for Xbox Series X / S, the game will remain on DirectX 11 on PC for now. “All the performance improvements come from just improving the simulator,” confirms Wloch. “PC has not yet moved to DirectX 12, the team is still working on it. It may bring improvements further, or not.”

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/1/22558803/microsoft-flight-simulator-pc-performance-improvements-patch