LCVG

Minecraft Dungeons - It's like Zelda Four Swords with Minecraft

Romier S

• 11 months later...

I just finished playing a few levels with my two boys. Both of them are big Minecraft fans so they were excited to try it out (thanks, Game Pass!). It’s always nice when you can find a good couch co-op game that is age appropriate and doesn’t require the little ones to jump or manipulate the camera. Plus, the gameplay itself is relatively simple and straight-forward.

As you’d expect, it was a bit chaotic with all three of us playing at the same time. There was a lot of shouting as daddy tried to direct the two little ones around the game map, but thankfully, no one ended up in tears. We did get a Game Over on the last level we played. I think we may need to level up our characters a bit more before proceeding. At any rate, both of them had fun and are excited to play it again sometime soon.

I’m not a big dungeon crawler fan, so I can’t speak to how this compares to the likes of Diablo, other than to say that it’s likely not as complicated. If I didn’t think it was something my boys would enjoy, I probably wouldn’t bother playing it. My guess is that it would feel shallow to hardcore fans of the genre. If you have a family with little ones, it’s probably going to be a lot more fun.

We're havinga blast with it, 3 player. Both my kids grew up on Minecraft, so they're thoroughly enjoying seeing the world from a different perspective. It's a very straightforward dungeon crawler without some of the loot progression complexity of Diablo 3 or long term growth, frankly, but I'm enjoying it. If you're unwilling to change the difficulty or be willing to play a level more than once for more loot, it'll be really easy to bang through it in a few hours I think. We're happily taking our time. 

• 2 weeks later...

First playthrough at basic difficulty complete. Loved the final boss design, some interesting patterns + attacks. Currently kicking bahookie with a souls focused build, with a  soul quiver that launches three 'smoke' projectiles doing pushback + damage, plus the same perks as my arrows, so lots of poison, and a strong change for multi-arrows. It's awesomely fun to behold. 

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

We tried it this weekend...and I wasn’t enthralled. Does it get better after the first few areas?

Depends heavily on what didn't enthrall you. It's a family friendly dungeon crawler, heavily focused around Minecraft. The enemies get tougher, the loot gets better, but it's the same core loop - explore, kill, find better gear, kill, repeat. It's nowhere near as deep as Diablo 3, never mind PoE, which will be a turn off for some, but my daughter is loving her poison glave + rapid fire bow :) 

The first couple of areas are simplistic in enemy types for sure, though. Changing the difficulty level up is a necessity for us gamers too - enemies get more bullet spongey, but that gives them more time to fulfill their combat roles. 

1 hour ago, iainl said:

Does it do multiplayer on one console? Not much point in me downloading otherwise.

Yes. Four-player couch co-op. I’ve been playing it with my boys since it came out and have had lots of fun with it.

• 1 month later...

The Completionist takes on Minecraft Dungeons.

I think Jirard’s criticisms of the game are fair. For someone like him — a highly skilled gamer who has overcome some of the hardest challenges around — this game will bore him.

I do, however, think it’s a great game for kids. I should know; both my boys love it. No, it doesn’t have the creation element that regular Minecraft has, but they don’t seem to mind. I don’t think they expected it, to be honest. And no, it’s not as complex as Diablo either. If it were, it would be as easy for them to pick up and play. He does acknowledge this toward the end of the video, but it’s really more of an afterthought.