LCVG

Gods and Monsters (now Immortals Fenyx Rising) (every platform currently available and coming soon)

Romier S

• 1 year later...

Didn't find a thread for this under either the new name (other than a mention in the ps5 thread).  First hands on that I've seen of this: https://kotaku.com/so-far-immortals-fenyx-rising-is-more-than-just-ubisof-1845456470

Sounds promising, but if it's similar to AC Odyssey, then I wonder how it'll stack up with Valhalla coming out around the same time?  I'll likely get one this fall, and one next year?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

Yeah, that Kotaku review made it sound worth checking out.  It's out this week I think, so I'm sure it'll be discounted by the end of the year sale :)

I had the exact same thought. There’s no point to buying a Ubi game at release when it will be discounted within a month. And it will take that long to patch it to be playable anyway.

• dogbert changed the title to Gods and Monsters (now Immortals Fenyx Rising) (every platform currently available and coming soon)
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Graeme said:

I wonder if it is disheartening to work on a game for years, only to see it being discounted so quickly every single time. 

Given that most of the people that worked on the game probably don't get any sort of royalties/bonuses based on sales, I'd expect that once the game is out, and as long as they're still employed, they'd want as many people as possible to see the cool thing they worked on. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, JFo said:

25+ hours into this now.

If you’re an open world addict, this is your new crack.

My kid is about 30 hours into it. If you're playing on Xbox Series X there this one doesn't behave very well with quick resume and putting the Series X to sleep. He's had several saves get corrupted doing this. yes we are on the latest patch too which was supposed to fix it.

2 hours ago, kelley said:

My kid is about 30 hours into it. If you're playing on Xbox Series X there this one doesn't behave very well with quick resume and putting the Series X to sleep. He's had several saves get corrupted doing this. yes we are on the latest patch too which was supposed to fix it.

Interesting. I can’t say I’ve had any save files be corrupted from Quick Resume. Most of the time, it works as intended, but every now and then, I get a glitch where the map and inventory menus won’t load properly — I just get a black screen with some text — forcing me to quit the game and reboot it. Fortunately, the SSD loads up the game quickly, so it’s not too inconvenient to do this.

My biggest gripe with the game on a technical level though is that there’s quite a bit of screen tearing while running on performance mode. This is especially bad in the first area, where there are a lot of trees. I’m not sure if this is a problem on the PS5 version as well.

55 minutes ago, JFo said:

My biggest gripe with the game on a technical level though is that there’s quite a bit of screen tearing while running on performance mode. This is especially bad in the first area, where there are a lot of trees. I’m not sure if this is a problem on the PS5 version as well.

Seems to be an Ubisoft problem.  Any word on whether VRR fixes this? 

23 hours ago, kelley said:

He's had several saves get corrupted doing this. yes we are on the latest patch too which was supposed to fix it.

Something similar happened to me as well on the Series X.  Very early on, so I only lost a couple hours of progress.

The bizarre thing is that I manually saved before going into rest mode, and my save — as well as recent autosaves — just vanished when I quit the game and started it back up.  It’s not that I got an error message that my saves were corrupted; just a whole lotta nothin’.

This was with the most recent patch as well.

1 hour ago, kelley said:

I cannot believe they haven't figured out how to fix the file corruption issue. You'd think they could call up the AssCreed guys and ask for help.

It’s mind-boggling that it happens at all. I can’t remember the last time this sort of thing happened to me, if ever. I’ve lost save progress before in games, but that’s usually my own damn fault — like the one time I accidentally formatted a GameCube memory card from Japan region to US (I had a modified console that could play games from both regions), and it wiped out my save data for several games. It sucked, but it happened as a result of my negligence and not because the code on one of the games was faulty.

What really surprises me is that Immortals has an autosave feature, along with a manual save. In my experience, these are usually two different save files. The game will have an autosave file it continuously updates, and a separate slot for manual saves. In some cases, a game might even keep a certain number of autosaves around as a backup, just in case. When I lost my data last night, it was because Immortals apparently doesn’t keep two separate files for each type of save. I figured my manual save was toast, but at least the autosave would be there. So, I deleted the corrupted manual save and went back to the main menu. That’s when I realized that the autosave wasn’t there, and I had no option to reload my game.

Okay, so all might not be lost. I just loaded up the game and found that I still had a save that worked. I did lose some progress — about three hours total — but I can deal with that. I’m going to try and get back to where I left off last night and hopefully push through to the end of the game now.

Fingers crossed. 🤞

38 minutes ago, JFo said:

Okay, so all might not be lost. I just loaded up the game and found that I still had a save that worked. I did lose some progress — about three hours total — but I can deal with that. I’m going to try and get back to where I left off last night and hopefully push through to the end of the game now.

Fingers crossed. 🤞

Xbox or PS5? Can’t you load a the most recent save via the cloud?

27 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Xbox or PS5? Can’t you load a the most recent save via the cloud?

Xbox. I was actually trying to see if I could load a save from the cloud when I went back into the game this afternoon. Last night, when it looked like I had lost my data, the main menu didn’t even give me the option to load. This time, it did. My guess is that there was a cloud save uploaded somewhere that got sent back down to my Xbox, letting me pick up where I was minus a few hours of work.

The good news is that after less than an hour of playing, I was able to get back to where I left off last night before this whole fiasco took place. That’s the power of knowing exactly where to go and what to do. 👍

I did a manual save just now and it seemed to work fine. I’ll be keeping some more manual saves around, just in case.